Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2011)

Old Nov 29, 2004, 7:23 am
Original Poster

I thought I start a thread to post Royal Ambassador experiences:

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
- Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
- How are the rooms?
- How is the exec. lounge?
- What was good and what was bad?
- Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?

Moderators Notice:
Newer Posts could be found in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...periences.html

FLYGVA
co-moderator IHG Forum

Last edited by FLYGVA; Mar 1, 2014 at 9:26 am
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:03 pm

Programs: IHG SPG KF OW Marco Polo
IC Huahin

Second visit to IC Huahin but first time as a RA.

Were you happy with the hotel/stay?
Yes

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?

Booked a Grande Deluxe Room and got the double upgrade to a Premier Pool King Room.

How are the rooms?

Previously stayed in the Grande Deluxe room and although we have been upgraded, I actually preferred the cheaper option as I had a lovely view of the ocean.

The Pool Terrace rooms share a common pool that stretches across the front. Personally feel that there is a shortage of privacy especially if there are uncontrollable children in the vicinity.

Would have preferred the ocean view but when I asked to be downgraded to a Premier room with a better view, we were informed that they were full.

How is the Exec. lounge?

There isn't one.

What was good/bad?

Good:

Service is good, although some of the staff are not able to communicate well in English, they try very hard.

Breakfast spread is very good and the executive chef is mostly there to make sure things are running smoothly.

Wait staff and the door men are also very cheery and I love the breakfast alcoves!

Nice L'occitane toiletries in the rooms. Rooms are also very comfortable and well kept by housekeeping.

Concierge service is excellent with a good command of the English language which helps a great deal.

They had a lovely fireworks show on NYE on the beach. Very beautiful but we felt the safety aspect was not too carefully considered.

Overall, the resort is a very beautiful place that you will not want to leave.

Bad:

The reservations staff manning the emails are not very quick at responding. I had to resend my emails twice on 2 different occasions before I got a response.

I was quite annoyed as I missed out on the SPA package rate as a result.

They upgraded both rooms after I complained but it is not much, seeing as I do not like these rooms much. In fact, we never used the pool in front of the rooms as the water was always too cold. No sun shining on it directly so it was freezing!

Room was not ready for us when we arrived but we held up in the other room booked for friends.

Eventually got the room at 1600 which was a tad late.

Spa appointments were also quite full so it was hard making an appointment with a good timing.

Bar fridge was not restocked daily. We did not take much, just 3 orange juices and 2 beers but it was restocked just once during my 6 night stay.

Rain shower in room was spraying upwards onto the ceiling. When I mentioned it to the staff on my way out, they requested that I reminded them about it the next day. ???? Was that not their job to remember these things?

We requested a late check out for one of the rooms on our last day as our flight was a late one. We were told that we had to check out at 1400 hours (???). It is our first stay as a RA so I went and double checked the late checkout policy before arguing the case.

We went back to check with another staff and they relented at the 1600 check out.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?

Value for money is not so great on this trip as we paid a lot more on this trip than our previous one, probably due to the top ranking the resort has on TA.

We paid an average of USD 500 per room per night for the trip.

Misc comments

I cannot say that I will not return because this is undeniably a REALLY nice resort.
However, they may need to have more English speaking staff and be more prepared to handle full occupancy.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 8:16 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
IC Vienna

IC Vienna

What is your PC Status?

RA

What room did you book and what did you receive?
Three "classic rooms" (low floor) on 2-for-1, got one junior suite and the two other rooms were upgraded to high floor club rooms. No club lounge access.

How are the rooms?
Club rooms are on the small side, with a small bathroom without seperate tub/shower.
Junior suite -as previously reported- is size of two standard rooms. Living room area with walk in closet, large sofa, chair and desk. Large bathroom with seperate tub and shower.

What was your welcome gift?
1/2 bottle of Austrian wine, water and some sweets.

What was good?
Excellent upgrade. Very nice gesture of the hotel to upgrade all three rooms.
Early check-in without problems.
Room service was quick and delicious.
Friendly staff

What was bad?
-

Value for money?
Excellent value over New Year's in Vienna (when even Ibis hotels are more than 100 €). Will return whenever in Vienna.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 1:55 pm

Value for money?
Excellent value over New Year's in Vienna (when even Ibis hotels are more than 100 €). Will return whenever in Vienna.[/QUOTE]

Was free Minibar included at the 2for1 rate? I will have a stay there next weekend and is good to know how they handle it.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 11:50 pm

IC Mark Hopkins San Francisco

What is your PC Status?
RA

Cheapest room on advance purchase rate (+ provided BOGO for 5th night at checkin). Initially given a studio suite on a lower floor and then moved to a proper suite on the 17th (of 18) floor with dual vanities, jetted tub, great views, etc.

How are the rooms?
The rooms are very classic and pretty well kept. TVs could be replaced, but I didn't really ever use them.

Fruit, water, and a bottle of wine

Did you receive fruit in the room?
Yes

How was the club lounge?
The front desk said they usually provide this to RAs, but it was closed for the week prior to and after Christmas. They did provide free internet.

What was good?
Great location, very historical and well kept hotel, nice staff, took off all minibar charges without asking, and great Christmas decorations

What was bad?
Original room provided was smallish for a studio suite and literally wall to wall with the elevators. After a chat with the front desk, they provided a full suite on the 17th floor with fantastic views and 2x the space. Upon checkout, the hotel tried telling me that because I was on an advance purchase rate and used a BOGO, I was supposed to use those funds towards hotel charges (but we had none) and as a result, I'd forfeit those funds. Of course, I was never told this upon checkin and politely pressed the issue. After a few moments of polite arm twisting, they credited the last night back to my credit card, but this was the first time I had experienced this.

Value for money?
Absolutely! Paid <$120/nt and used a BOGO.

Additional comment
I don't think I'll have the advance purchase BOGO issue in the future with the new BOGO requirement of flexible rate bookings.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by Ente
Was free Minibar included at the 2for1 rate? I will have a stay there next weekend and is good to know how they handle it.
Yes, it always is on 2-4-1. Snacks are free in Vienna too.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 5:30 pm
sbw

Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
Yes, it always is on 2-4-1. Snacks are free in Vienna too.
it is not always the case, u should ask when u check-in. most hotels would only let u use mini-bar for free on the 1st night but not the free night
Old Jan 2, 2011, 5:33 pm
sbw

Originally Posted by cooltyler

What is your PC Status?
RA

Cheapest room on advance purchase rate (+ provided BOGO for 5th night at checkin). Initially given a studio suite on a lower floor and then moved to a proper suite on the 17th (of 18) floor with dual vanities, jetted tub, great views, etc.

How are the rooms?
The rooms are very classic and pretty well kept. TVs could be replaced, but I didn't really ever use them.

Fruit, water, and a bottle of wine

Yes

How was the club lounge?
The front desk said they usually provide this to RAs, but it was closed for the week prior to and after Christmas. They did provide free internet.

What was good?
Great location, very historical and well kept hotel, nice staff, took off all minibar charges without asking, and great Christmas decorations

What was bad?
Original room provided was smallish for a studio suite and literally wall to wall with the elevators. After a chat with the front desk, they provided a full suite on the 17th floor with fantastic views and 2x the space. Upon checkout, the hotel tried telling me that because I was on an advance purchase rate and used a BOGO, I was supposed to use those funds towards hotel charges (but we had none) and as a result, I'd forfeit those funds. Of course, I was never told this upon checkin and politely pressed the issue. After a few moments of polite arm twisting, they credited the last night back to my credit card, but this was the first time I had experienced this.

Value for money?
Absolutely! Paid <$120/nt and used a BOGO.

Additional comment
I don't think I'll have the advance purchase BOGO issue in the future with the new BOGO requirement of flexible rate bookings.
if the BOGO vouncher was issued on or before Feb 2010 then we can book any rate, but if it was issused on or after March 2010 then u need to book flexible rate or on their booking wed site: intercontinental.com/ambweekend
Old Jan 3, 2011, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by sbw
it is not always the case, u should ask when u check-in. most hotels would only let u use mini-bar for free on the 1st night but not the free night
This is simply not true for IDEX1 rate. On the contrary, it is confirmed that all ICs that offer IDEX1 (that I know of - Vienna, Budapest, Prague), provide this benefit - and I don't see a way for them to deny it.

Last edited by Chinatrvl; Jan 3, 2011 at 2:05 am
Old Jan 3, 2011, 3:06 am

IC Vienna

IC Vienna

What is your PC Status?
RA

Hotel was fully booked for New Years Eve for weeks. One day before New Years Eve some rooms were available with points. After my booking hotel was sold out. Was told that normally would receive a studio suite (also with points!!!), but due of my late booking and that they were sold out, received a deluxe room on a high floor with city view. I wanted to see the fireworks and so the room was ok.

How are the rooms?
Pretty tiny. Well furnished with a nice view over the city.
Here some pics:
http://youhavebeenupgraded.blogspot....ntal-wien.html

Fruit, water, a half bottle of wine and some mojos

Yes

How was the club lounge?
Was not offered

What was good?
Received free minibar with snacks on reward stay. Pretty cool. Was welcomed by the Hotel manager.

What was bad?
Rooms are badly soundproofed

Value for money?
Good with points. Would not pay 390 Euros for a Deluxe Room on New Years Eve.

Additional comment
Room Service was excellent. 10 Minutes for a Club sandwich on New Years Eve
Old Jan 3, 2011, 7:00 pm
sbw

Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
This is simply not true for IDEX1 rate. On the contrary, it is confirmed that all ICs that offer IDEX1 (that I know of - Vienna, Budapest, Prague), provide this benefit - and I don't see a way for them to deny it.
as far as i understand that, the rule for BOGO changed as from March 2010. But it is no harm to ask at check-in rather than disappointment at chek out.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 12:38 am

Programs: BA, FB, LH; PC/IC, HH, MR
Originally Posted by sbw
as far as i understand that, the rule for BOGO changed as from March 2010. But it is no harm to ask at check-in rather than disappointment at chek out.
sbw, you're talking at cross-purposes. IDEX1 is not the same as a BOGO

IDEX1 is a paid rate openly available in Europe and is available at CPs, ICs etc. The second night of that rate is free.

BOGO is a voucher given to Ambassadors as part of their welcome pack.

(Hope that helps clear the confusion )
Old Jan 4, 2011, 4:35 am

Programs: EB*G, FB, PC Royal Ambassador, Marriot Gold Elite
IC De La Ville - Rome

Generally yes - we had an excellent albeit short (3 nights) New Year vacation in wonderful Rome. The stay was paid with points (except for the 3€/pers/night tax the city of Rome has applied). I was informed that since this was a point stay I did not have free mini-bar.

There was fruit and water (and ˝ bottle of red wine that I never got around to try - it looked very "basic") in the room at check in, but no fresh water the following days.

Standard double - was upgraded to a standard double with a terrace. Nice that they gave an upgrade on a point stay, but it was bit of a symbolic gesture since the benefit of a terrace in winter is fairly limited.

How are the rooms?
Very small, but fine. The hotel and the rooms are quite old and a little worn (some broken tiles etc), but generally kept in good condition.

The bathroom was also very small - there was nowhere to put your toilet bag.

How is the exec. lounge?
Don't even know if there was one. I was not offered access to any.

What was good and what was bad?
Good:
  • The location
  • Friendly concierge team

Bad:
  • The iron brought to my room left black stripes/stains on my white shirt - it seemed to be some melted plastic or something, that eventually came off, but still...
  • Movie on demand (recuperation on January 1st) broke down after 30 minutes, called the service desk that only offered to take the movie off the bill and suggested that we tried another one in stead (which we didn't)
  • Not only did the movie not work - it was even on the bill when we checked out and I had to fill out some form to get it off (even if it had worked the hotel had written in their welcome letter to me that I as ambassador had a free movie)
  • That the hotel could not provide us with taxis that did not try to cheat us
  • The very ugly cardboard Christmas decorations on the otherwise nice looking building

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?
OK value, not impressive - I would consider other options next time in Rome.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
IC Jakarta Mid Plaza - Two steps forward, 1 step back

I had a few stays here in December and early January. Some real improvements in RA benefits, with club access now being given for free. With one additional person allowed in the lounge, plus for breakfast in the club or in Java restaurant.

Yes

The cheapest room. Got upgraded 2 levels to a Jr suite near the elevators. Note, if you like quiet, this is not a good room to get. Large flat screen, and a nice view. They are also doing some room remodeling, so after 9am, you may have some noise.

How is the exec. lounge?
For the first time, I had actually booked a couple of nights with lounge access only to find out that they were giving it for free to RAs. The only difference, is that you get free local calls and 4 pieces of laundry done per day. Not worth the $40 per day to pay for it. Free is better.

I never checked out the lounge for breakfast, as the breakfast in Java is pretty good. The lounge isn't huge, and the service can be underwhelming. They often run out of food items, and don't replace them later in the evening.

What was good and what was bad?

Good: Free lounge access is great. Extra person for breakfast or lounge is great as well.

Bad: The mini-bottles in the fridge were missing on my second and third stays. The bellman said they didn't have any. When I called, they changed the story, and said they only had some of them. Mentioned this to a lounge lady, and she said they didn't have tax stamps for the mini bottles. In the end they filled up the fridge with about half the normal mini bottles. Just the JW Red, Vodka and Gin. Also getting the minibar refilled mostly required a call.

More bad: A huge hassle using my old style bogos here. Had to go through two different people before I got them to acknowledge that it was valid. And this was on a fairly inexpensive rate too.

Even more bad: No welcome gifts on the 2nd and 3rd stays. The 3rd stay, again no liquor mini bottles on New Years Eve. Same song and dance to get it filled.

I've stayed here about a month this year, so in general like the property. The asst Club manager, Angeline is quite nice, but others working the Club desk aren't as helpful, especially one of the younger guys.

Value for money

It's a pretty good value.

Final thoughts

They need to get their liquor in the mini-bar straightened out. Normal refills without having to call. The service at the hotel is good, but pales in comparison to the Hyatt where I spent 3 weeks at.

When using the Bogos I was told that I would not get free mini-bar or free internet usually given to RAs, on the free night. I believe this is against the rules from PC. I know in the past, I have always been given full mini-bar even on PB stays.

Last edited by Jaimito Cartero; Jan 4, 2011 at 7:09 am
Old Jan 4, 2011, 7:46 am

Programs: IC RA
When using the Bogos I was told that I would not get free mini-bar or free internet usually given to RAs, on the free night. I believe this is against the rules from PC. I know in the past, I have always been given full mini-bar even on PB stays.

Re above, I was also wondering this as I have a stay using a BOGOF in IC Park Lane, after searching a few threads on here it was confirmed by Ambassador services that full RA/A benefits would also apply for the second (free) night,I will also be using an old style weekend voucher. London is usually pretty good anyway as they still offer all benefits on point stays but also nice to know the t&c's as quite a few on here have had a few problems with old style BOGOF vouchers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.