Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2007)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2007)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2007, 1:13 pm
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
Originally Posted by maclover
I personally wouldn't had pushed that hard to get the suite when redeeming a reward.

maclover
Agreed. I think you got a nice GM who took care of you but I wouldn't have pushed that hard on points either. Just my 2cents
Old Jan 20, 2007, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ICH Ambassador, HH Gold VIP, Starwood Platinum Preferred, UA Premier, AA, Marriott Bonvoy
I was at the IC Sydney in November and got the suite upgrade without asking. I used Reward Points.
Old Jan 20, 2007, 11:53 pm

Programs: Delta Million Miler / Plat, ICH RA Plat, Gold Father, Nickel Husband
I thought I would post some experiences at some non-ICH properties I have recieved (note, some of these upgrades started prior to getting RA - rather - they seemed to occur once I hit 100 nights last year):

London Mayfair HI: Paid for Regular Room and was upgraded to a corner Bus Exec Suite. Room was very large and overlooked the Ritz across the street.
I have recieved this upgrade 3 times from the hotel.

Amsterdam Schiphol CP: Paid for a Regular Room and upgraded to the private 5th Floor executive rooms. Have recieved this upgrade 5 stays in a row.

Maastricht Netherlands CP: Upgraded to a River View room with Balcony. Recieved this upgrade on two consecutive stays.

While you can never count on these upgrades, I have found that I consistently get one of the nicest rooms in the hotels when staying at HI and CP properties.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 4:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Gold, IHG Plat, HH Gold.
I too have received club level upgrades at both Schipol & Central Amsterdam CP's both times on reward stays.

This included the contents of the mini bar at Schipol and access to the lounges at both properties.

JAT
Old Jan 21, 2007, 7:12 am

Programs: Globalist, Marriott Plat, various sundry
Just as a note: The RA experiences are meant for ICs, as most of the special benefits (free minibar, etc.) are only at ICs (and not CPs and HIs).

Mod: Please move/delete this post and the two above it , to keep with the nature of the thread.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by gmax58
Just as a note: The RA experiences are meant for ICs, as most of the special benefits (free minibar, etc.) are only at ICs (and not CPs and HIs).

Mod: Please move/delete this post and the two above it , to keep with the nature of the thread.

Sorry about that... I thought the chance of a free mini bar would appeal to most viewers regardless of whether it was ain a CP or an IC but, point taken.

Should we start a PC "Platinum Experiences" thread as well? What a sorry story that would make!

JAT
Old Jan 21, 2007, 11:09 am

Programs: HH Silver, SPG Gold, PC Plat, IC Royal Ambassador, UA 1K, Founder www.SeatExpert.com , CO Platinum
Great idea gmax58 ^ .

I have created a new Priority Club elite experience thread as suggested. Please continue discussion of non-IC properties elite experience in this new thread.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 11:13 am

^ ^
Originally Posted by Jet2K
Great idea gmax58 ^ .

I have created a new Priority Club elite experience thread as suggested. Please continue discussion of non-IC properties elite experience in this new thread.

Great minds think alike!!

JAT
^
Old Jan 21, 2007, 2:52 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

First time Royal Ambassador Stay at Barclay IC NYC

- Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
I booked a standard room for one night on a 200 dollar weekend rate and received a Jr. suite upgrade + welcome gift of three pieces of fruit which consisted of a shrink wrapped small wooden bowl with an old orange, a rock hard pear and a Red Delicious apple.
There was also a tiny cellophane bag of chocolate with nuts and a note from the guest relations manager
- How are the rooms?
Suite was nice perfectly adequate but old with separate living and sleeping room, small but adequate bath. First suite had working heat in the bathroom second one(changed due to bad mini bar) did not.
Old 27 inch Zenith TVs confusing tired remote controls.Hot water too was not dependable to shower with.

- How is the exec. lounge?
None Available
Miss other past NYC hotels I have stayed in as this hotel while satisfactory was not up to par during my short visit. An excellent renovation could go far here to making this a destination property for many.

- What was good and what was bad?
Good location; very satisfactory recognition, civilized non chaotic envoirnment, trained Ambassador Desk with satisfactory guest skills. The New York Sunday Times delivered to my door on Saturday night was one of the highlights of my stay as silly as it sounds.
Bad; Defective mini bar with no working refrigeration in it that took three and one half hours to resolve and seven phone calls with many going into voicemail. Worse the ice machine was barely functioning on the same floor

See my Barclay Post for further details to be posted very soon.
Everything is extraordinarily expensive on property.
A hamburger through room service could easily be over 30 dollars and up by itself provided you don’t order a salad, coffee or beverage. Salads were 14 to 22 dollars for example as well. Two eggs with juice and pastry for breakfast are 42 plus tax, gratuity and a service charge.They do throw in a ham or sausage for good will

- Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?
Excellent value based on RA recognition. However the service performance is so poor in the hotel at present (perhaps not typical) it cancels out and negates any reason to return except on price alone. At the end of the day if the service doesn’t measure up and the product is reasonably old & tired one is essentially buying a room and bed.There is only so much I want to drink in or out of the mini bar. I might consider returning but eagerly looking forward to other IC properties that I think will be much better/newer in both service & product.
Hopefully the others can deliver timely productive follow-ups to guest inquiries of any kind.

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Jan 21, 2007 at 4:52 pm
Old Jan 21, 2007, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ICH Ambassador, HH Gold VIP, Starwood Platinum Preferred, UA Premier, AA, Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Big_Foot
Well, you can use points at the Thalasso now, that's a deal!
Food is great, breakfast is good in both places, you can freely
travel between the two and choose any restaurant in either
hotel. It's expensive, but not more than Hong Kong or San Fran.
We liked Sands restaurant at the Thalasso, they have great snacks
for lunch, Mahi mahi burger is not bad ;-)
For dinner, you HAVE to go to the Villa Mahana once.
And if you go, you HAVE to try chocolate suffle. Out of this world :-)))

How about the mini-bar? Mosquitos?

Last edited by Camino1; Jan 21, 2007 at 11:18 pm
Old Jan 22, 2007, 5:14 am
uk1
Suspended

IC London

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?

Yes

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?

Booked: INNER COURT ROOM Upgraded to: ROYAL PARK EXECUTIVE ROOM

How are the rooms?

Strange. Very small and absolutely no drawers in 842. Heating difficult to keep warm.

How is the exec. lounge?

There isn’t one yet.

What was good?

The staff are enthusiastic, attentative desperate to please but very inexperienced. Comfortable beds.

What was bad?

1. Could not convince check-in that Sunday night is a weekend night! She insisted that as I was leaving on Monday – Monday wasn’t weekend and so I couldn’t use the weekend cert – but instead she would use it for the Saturday night – which was the cheaper night. She wouldn’t believe her colleagues but eventually all sorted and used for the Sunday night. One of those unforgettable conversations.

2. They didn’t have any rooms available when we arrived but rather than telling us they simply asked us to wait in the lounge. After 20 minutes I asked what we were waiting for and eventually we were given a standard holding room.

3. No welcome letter and a bottle of water and some boiled sweets arrived a few hours before we left.

None of these are a problems just symptomatic of early days problems.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?

Great value. 2 nights for Ł206 including breakfast using the weekend cert and all mini-bar drink contents were included. Bizarrely, the first mini-bar had no mixers except coke – so Gin’s. Vodka’s etc seemed strangely unusable. 2nd Mini-bar was better. Already booked for Chinese New Year ..........
Old Jan 22, 2007, 12:02 pm

Programs: Lots O Metal
IC Barclay (NYC)

Mostly.

Booked: 1 King Bed Junior Suite on a weekend BOGOF (which was applied only after the room upgrade). Upgraded to: 1 Bedroom King Suite on the 7th floor.

How are the rooms?

Generally concur with the other posts on this hotel. Suite was quite small (especially bathroom) but well appointed. Room was mostly quiet considering the street level noise.

How is the exec. lounge?

There isn’t one.

What was good?

1. The hotel is a quick walk from Grand Central, and very close to some fantastic dining and touristy spots. There is a nice Greek restaurant ‘Avra’ right next to the hotel, and for breakfast, I took the advice of another poster and we went to Ess-A-Bagel. Absolutely brilliant. For simple lunch or dinner fare, Smith and Wollensky is close by, and worth a look as well. Great burgers to be had there if you’re roving out late.

2. Welcome letter and gifts were waiting in room upon check-in.

3. Minibar was restocked daily, and didn’t show on the bill at check out. (Only drinks free, but they were quite acceptable)

What was bad?

1. It seems my upgrade was only one category, meaning I would have received the same upgrade as an Ambassador. I had booked a Junior Suite in hopes of getting a great upgrade, but I seem to have gotten what most other RA’s got from booking a standard room. I didn’t complain, either, as I feel we got a good value in either case.

2. Hotel staff is in line with what’s already posted: Couldn’t be bothered.

3. Welcome amenities consisted of a plastic bottle of Evian, an apple, pear and orange covered with cling film. Gift was a small bag of chocolates. Nothing to write home about, really.

Yes, but would not book a larger room in expecting a superior upgrade.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 4:15 am

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: HHon LT Diamond, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott AMB (LT Gold), IHG AMB (20 years of SCC and RoyAMB dropped 2024)...Airlines: BA GGL (OW Emerald), LH FTL (*S), QF Plat (LT Gold), VA, UA Silver (*S), SQ Silver (*S)
IC Sydney

Were you happy with the hotel/stay?
Yes. This was our third stay but the first as an RA.

Booked a King City Room and was upgraded to a Harbor Executive Suite.

What was good?
Great view of the harbour! Big Plasma TV in lounge room which is big enough to entertain a few friends. I like the bathroom amenities on the Club level and the suites. Mini-bar was the best I have seen for a long time during my stays in Australia/NZ.

Welcome gift included Granny Smith apples, chocolates, a bottle of red wine and some water.

What was bad?
No complimentary Club access for RAs. Hotel didn't honour free internet in the room promotion and no one at the hotel know about it.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points
With the upgrade, of course, excellent, otherwise the normal city view rooms are highly overpriced at around $320 or more.

Would you return?
Yes, although it's always hard to justify spending the night in a hotel less than 10min drive from home
Old Jan 23, 2007, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
LeGrand, Paris

Absolutely. This is, in my view, the best IC - I even prefer it to HK.

Booked a deluxe room, upgraded to a Junior Suite (4126 - probably the best opera house view in the whole hotel). Upgrade showed online shortly after booking. Also got club access, which was much appreciated - the champagne flows all evening, the evening snacks were enough to keep me going without a meal and you get free PC access.

How are the rooms?
The JS is big (43 m according to the website) with a great view. I'm impressed how well the hotel looks - it still looks like it reopened yesterday. Only complaint is that the LCD TV was a little small given how far it was from the bed. Good bathroom with separate shower and L'Occitane goodies.

How is the exec. lounge?
Very good as mentioned above. Had breakfast there as well which was enough to keep me going. Certainly no need to book a B&B package if you're an RA unless you want a massive spread - but this was a business trip so a shorter breakfast was all I wanted. Still no ability to check-out in the lounge.

What was good and what was bad?
Euro 110 for 2 15 minute phone calls to the UK was unbelievable, quite frankly.

My company paid for this trip, but I would have happily paid E395 of my own money if necessary. And with a weekend night voucher it is almost embarrassingly good value for Paris.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 5:02 am

What was good and what was bad?
Euro 110 for 2 15 minute phone calls to the UK was unbelievable, quite frankly.
110€???
thinking about VoIP services 10€ would be way too much but... 110€... you really sure about that? would it be 50€ per minute!!!!

Will have to remember to never touch the phone if I'll happen to be there again
Cheers
maclover

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.