Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel staff walked into my room without knocking!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2012, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Hotel staff walked into my room without knocking!

I wanted to get independent traveler's opinions on this incident and what the proper reaction would have been. Thanks in advance.

I was staying at the Holiday Inn Resort in Pensacola Beach and was in my room at 11:45am on the day of checkout. I was in a heated argument with my ex-girlfriend who was staying with me and all of the sudden, without a knock or verbal announcement, a female staff member opens the door and proceeds to walk in the room! I caught her immediately and proceeded to inquire why she would just walk right into our room to which she replied "I was checking to see if the room was empty." She continued to stand there for a couple minutes while I proceeded to yell at her as I was already heated from my argument with my ex-girlfriend.

The staff person was semi-apologetic but sort of unrepentant. I was mad because we could have been naked, on the toilet, or whatever. She basically said that if we probably would have had the deadbolt up if that was the case; sort of implying that it was my responsibility to ensure that she shouldn't have barged in the room.

Anyhow, I finally told her to leave, because she wasn't leaving on her own. During the incident and afterwards, my ex was defending her and scolding me for been so tough on the lady. I call the front desk manager and they gave me 25,000 points for the incident, which was more than generous, as I wasn't trying to get anything from my complaint.

Did I overreact in this situation? Would you guys have been equally as pissed as me?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 8:17 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, AA
I agree with you that this is very unprofessional. It has happened to me a few times over the years. While it is not desirable conduct it has never really upset me, probably because I'm usually just lounging around and I realize the housecleaning staff want to finish their jobs and get home to their family as well.

If they had invaded my privacy in some unfortunate way, I'd probably react differently of course.

That is quite a pile of points you received as an apology. If I were given an apology as well as that pile of points, I think I'd make sure to compliment the management for their response in some random travel forum on the interweb.

But that's just my opinion.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 8:24 pm

What time was checkout?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Checkout was 2pm.

Yes, it was definitely a unexpected response and they were very happy to rectify the situation. I was going to leave a nice yelp review for them....
Old Dec 11, 2012, 8:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Was there a "do not disturb" sign on the door?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 8:34 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jabbered
What time was checkout?
Even if checkout was at 11:00am or earlier, hotel staff should always knock on the door before entering. So I do believe the hotel staff does have some "training" or process updating to do.

But with that said, I would still say the OP over reacted just a bit. Note we only have one side of the issue and the OP has already admited to being "heated". Thus it is very possible that emotions may have clouded the OP's view of how the staff person reacted. (Sorry, just trying to be objective here.)

And I tend to agree that if you don't want anyone walking in on you use the deadbolt. While it doesn't justify a staff person walking in without first knocking, accidents do happen and if you really don't want someone walking in, make it harder on them by using the deadbolt.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 8:39 pm

If someone doesn't like using the deadbolt AND the do not disturb sign as soon as they first enter the room, then don't be too surprised if/when a staff member (or even a double-assigned customer) barges in. True it should not have happened, but lets take some responsibility if the privacy & security tools provided are not utilized by a guest.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Even if checkout was at 11:00am or earlier, hotel staff should always knock on the door before entering. So I do believe the hotel staff does have some "training" or process updating to do.

But with that said, I would still say the OP over reacted just a bit. Note we only have one side of the issue and the OP has already admited to being "heated". Thus it is very possible that emotions may have clouded the OP's view of how the staff person reacted. (Sorry, just trying to be objective here.)

And I tend to agree that if you don't want anyone walking in on you use the deadbolt. While it doesn't justify a staff person walking in without first knocking, accidents do happen and if you really don't want someone walking in, make it harder on them by using the deadbolt.
I agree that knocking should have been done. However, if OP was in the process of a "heated argument", he may not have heard the knocking on the door.

As someone in the hotel business, I always knock if I cannot tell a room is empty (based on an open curtain). However, if I was security and happened to be walking by and hearing a loud argument, I might open the door concerned for occupant's well being without knocking.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Yes, the "Do Not Disturb" sign was on the door. And yes, I was heated. However, the woman that entered didn't seem like she thought she did anything wrong and just kept standing there. So I kept yelling at her...lol.

Also, I know for sure she didn't knock or announce herself....just to clarify.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 9:11 pm

Programs: DL GM and so on
Originally Posted by jabbered
I agree that knocking should have been done.
In my experience maids do knock most of the time, but often they open doors in about 20-30 seconds. In some suites you can't get to the door in this time.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 9:46 pm

Programs: BMI DC Gold, BA Gold, LH SEN, Priority Club Platinum, Nectar purple
Originally Posted by Westme
She continued to stand there for a couple minutes while I proceeded to yell at her as I was already heated from my argument with my ex-girlfriend.
I'd say that yelling at her was an over reaction. I would have just politely asked her to leave.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 9:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Since you were yelling at your ex, how are you so sure you didn't miss hearing the knock?

And how are you so sure the staff wasn't worried about your ex-girlfriend?

Sounds like a whole lot of yelling at a whole lot of people.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:06 pm

I would say it is not the guest's fault at all. Staff should always knock and also have reason to enter. Staff member said that she wanted to see if the room was empty, to do what? Snoop around? What if the guests were away from the hotel? The deadbolt wouldn't have been in place anyway. If the computer said the room was the room was empty, the staff member would have said "the computer said the room was unoccupied" rather than "I was just confirming what the computer said." If it were housekeeping coming to clean up after thinking/being told that the guests checked out, it would be easily apparent that the room was still occupied. I would get suspicious that they do this often and get paranoid about theft.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

I wasn't screaming at the top of my lungs or anything, I just had my voice raised. Additionally, I was closer to the door and we weren't talking at the point that she entered the room, which is why I know she didn't knock or verbally announce herself.

The woman said she was checking rooms in general to make sure they were empty. I really don't think I was loud enough for someone in the hallway to hear our argument.....

I do appreciate everyone's opinions.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:59 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Since you were yelling at your ex, how are you so sure you didn't miss hearing the knock?

And how are you so sure the staff wasn't worried about your ex-girlfriend?

Sounds like a whole lot of yelling at a whole lot of people.
+1 ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.