Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Starting 2013.1.1, only qualifying points count towards elite status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starting 2013.1.1, only qualifying points count towards elite status

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2012, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by holtju2
According to the revised terms and conditions, the "PCR Bonus Points Packages" will continue to count as elite qualifying points. Just have few stays with properties that offer 5K to 10K bonuses for short stays and you are again qualified Platinum in 2013 in no time.
My last 10k bonus points package was awarded a 10k points voucher and under the new rule, the point deposit, which the voucher is, would not qualify.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 6:19 pm

Of note, if you have the Priority Club Chase Mastercard, you get to keep Platinum status for eternity with zero stays, zero points earned, and zero effort. Wonder when they'll change that perk of the card...

Certainly makes this policy change meaningless to cardholders anyway.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thndrmatt
Of note,[B] if you have the Priority Club Chase Mastercard[/B], you get to keep Platinum status for eternity with zero stays, zero points earned, and zero effort. Wonder when they'll change that perk of the card...

Certainly makes this policy change meaningless to cardholders anyway.
Have your read this thread? The credit card you mention is only available in the USA. But the Priority Club program has members worldwide (and indeed, much of the discussion in this thread is by members who don't qualify for the credit card because they don't live in the USA.)
Old Dec 5, 2012, 8:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Have your read this thread? The credit card you mention is only available in the USA. But the Priority Club program has members worldwide (and indeed, much of the discussion in this thread is by members who don't qualify for the credit card because they don't live in the USA.)
Also, it's a Visa not a MC!
Old Dec 5, 2012, 8:56 pm

It's a MasterCard in Canada, with guaranteed Platinum status as long as you're an elite card member---and still advertised as such.

I was surprised, when I signed up, that the card was only good for one year.

The launch was a year ago.

Now I know why.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:41 pm

Programs: SPG Plat,MR Plat Spire Plat/IC Amb, Choice Plat, BW Plat
I hope the PCR Marketing people recall they had a drive to grow membership immensely and used easy access to status levels via point’s earnings to get there globally so if they meddle with the formula too much that mass of lower tier customers may lose interest. Benefits may improve for the top tier as others drop out (maybe). If this is the new reality several Plat travellers have told me they will drift away and not bother making the effort to pursue PCR points/Plat status like they used to… Many people drove further or put up with poor facilities just for the points earning for status value at an IHG location which would not be worth the effort for them under the new rules it seems.

It’s hard for me to imagine leaving the PCR program but Hilton Gold seems like a decent alternative for those IHG stays if PCR loses its appeal…. Oh well, all things change eventually.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:47 pm

Programs: DL GM and so on
One more thing. While I generally hate the two-tier nature of some hotel programs (SPG, Hilton, Hyatt with their stays/nights requirements) which basically encourages short stays, IHG with their current program structure will be uncompetitive.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by Amyrlin
This will simply serve to increase the difference between the US and many other countries, where the 'bonus point' packages are less frequents, and in many cases for far fewer points. IN the UK there are some for 1,000 extra points, but this is usually as a significant premium.

I do not begrdge those who get it but would like it extended to create equity if there is a tightening up in other areas.
I have seen these bonus points offered around the world. Sometimes the prices are reasonable and sometimes they are completely out of reality and only aimed at business travelers that can pad their travel expenses.

Originally Posted by chongcao
My last 10k bonus points package was awarded a 10k points voucher and under the new rule, the point deposit, which the voucher is, would not qualify.
Mine posted with a stay one time and other couple of times I had to remind the property to post it afterwards.

There is going to be lot of "crying" about this and how properties are processing these bonus points packages.

Bonus points that are include in the rate appear not to qualify i.e. opening bonus, but PCR packages are. Very difficult for most folks to distinguish between these two.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by sdsearch

+1 ^ Thanks for bringing up it again. It's really PITA when I see people saying something like, 'everyone can be Plat by just having a credit card'.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by paulmoscow
One more thing. While I generally hate the two-tier nature of some hotel programs (SPG, Hilton, Hyatt with their stays/nights requirements) which basically encourages short stays, IHG with their current program structure will be uncompetitive.

And PC Plat/Gold means nothing at ICs while you get the same perks
as Hilton Gold/Diamond if you stay at Condrads...
Old Dec 6, 2012, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nacho
Well, if they tightened the elite qualifying criteria, they ought to also very much enhance their perks too.
+1
Old Dec 6, 2012, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
And PC Plat/Gold means nothing at ICs while you get the same perks
as Hilton Gold/Diamond if you stay at Condrads...
Yes - it's like Marriott - you get the same perks at JWs (same level to IC) without having to 'buy' an extra status.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Great move, long overdue!

Plat has been far too easy to earn in this program and rather than increasing the number of points required to qualify/requalify, this is a far more rational way of doing things. Ranks will definitely be thinned out over 2013 which means better benefit availabilities in subsequent years. It appears it will now take about 40-50 nights to get Plat, if Plat bonus is considered as EQPs. My reading of the definition makes it unclear as do others. As with Hyatt, credit card is an issue for non-Americans.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 6:13 am

Programs: IHG
Some of the moans and whines in this thread are not surprising because a large number of people have the potential to lose something.

IHG are effectively saying; Stay with us 50 nights per year and we'll reward you more than a member who stays 20 nights.

This cannot be wrong and those complaining are only concerned about their personal circumstances.

A number of people claim they'll switch to competitor hotel chains. To me this is hot air, but even if true IHG will be more than compensated by members who stay additional nights to hit the new target.

Well done IHG. A very smart move.

Last edited by midnight; Dec 6, 2012 at 8:27 am Reason: Word missed out
Old Dec 6, 2012, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by Shareholder
..if Plat bonus is considered as EQPs.
It is not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.