Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ambassador and free weekend night voucher

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:09 am

While there are a lot of posts pointing out that the AMB weekend rate is higher than BAR, and thus often not in fact equal to one “free” night, I think that debate misses the point. It does yield substantial value if used wisely. In fact, I have consistently gotten great value with these certs after factoring in the additional upgrades I receive on top of my confirmed (usually suite) category. Easily the value of the certificate redemption substantially offsets the annual Ambassador fee, and indeed can far exceed that fee if redeemed at an expensive property for a club room or suite.

I like the new F&B credit. It is not that much, but when you think about it, $20 of credit per stay actually can add up to a nice amount of savings. On eight to ten stays, this credit alone offsets the $150/$200 annual renewal fee. The way I see it, all Ambassador benefits in excess of the membership cost are just gravy.

Another benfit I appreciate is the garmemt pressing. It’s very convenient and welcoming to arrive somewhere and to have a couple of shirts nicely pressed, gratis. When you consider the cost of this service normally, that is also substantial value add.

CanuckinKL likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Marriott15
Can you still get the ambassador program by giving 40k points?
I'll await other data points, but I just got the Chase IHG Card and am looking to get ambassador and the website still says you can buy it for 40k pts.

But you have to do the calculation to see if it is worth it.

40,000 pts / $200 is about 0.5cpp, which could be better used elsewhere if you can find say a IHG property for 40k/night that goes for say $200+. In general seems like IHG pts are not as valuable as say Hyatt but certainly at this point I'm shying away from using my IHG pts to buy ambassador due to the fact that to me I think more value can be found by using the pts to book award nights elsewhere for more than the $200 value.

Love to hear input from others as well. I'm also in this situation and so far am leaning away from using pts and just using cash to pay for ambassador due to the valuation

Last edited by ginmqi; Mar 4, 2019 at 12:14 pm
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by slinkydeals
I am also looking to book at IC NYC and seeing no availability on any date - assume a system glitch as the ecerts are new
Yup - having the same problem here. At first I thought it was just my chosen location and dates, but I tried a number of different locations/dates and it's the same everywhere.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by OskiBear
Yup - having the same problem here. At first I thought it was just my chosen location and dates, but I tried a number of different locations/dates and it's the same everywhere.
Annoying as reporting a bug doesn't seem straightforward and I don't trust them to realize either!
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, United 2P, SQ, SPG Plat, PC Plat AMB, Hyatt Dia, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
Angry AMB CERT Rates

Originally Posted by slinkydeals
Annoying as reporting a bug doesn't seem straightforward and I don't trust them to realize either!
After much changing of dates, I've located weekend nights that qualify at the Boston IC. However, what I am noticing is AMB Cert rates that range from 15 - 25% higher than the best (lowest) available rates for the same dates. While I can handle the 15% hike, given the overall BOGO savings, the 25% increase seemed very steep to me.
ginmqi likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by CanuckinKL
After much changing of dates, I've located weekend nights that qualify at the Boston IC. However, what I am noticing is AMB Cert rates that range from 15 - 25% higher than the best (lowest) available rates for the same dates. While I can handle the 15% hike, given the overall BOGO savings, the 25% increase seemed very steep to me.
Dang this is disappointed to hear. I'm about to pull the trigger and buy into ambassador, which I think still has good value proposition overall. But indeed I can see 10-15% rate hike for the Weekend/BOGO night rate, but 25% definitely seems a bit annoying.....
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, United 2P, SQ, SPG Plat, PC Plat AMB, Hyatt Dia, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
You should qualify for the 10% rebate when using points, resulting in a total cost of only 36,000 points. Not sure you'll find many IC's for 40K points. The math gets harder when you calculate the value of 40K points when you're booking 4 nights with the 4th night free. Keep in mind there are 2 different Chase IHG cards.
ginmqi likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:25 pm

Sorry forgot one more thing, the $200 spend on AMB, gets you 15.000 points, so factor that in as well.
ginmqi likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:44 pm

Too bad they didn't include that old Hyatt Diamond benefit of the coffee service, i miss the good old days.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:36 pm

You should qualify for the 10% rebate when using points, resulting in a total cost of only 36,000 points. Not sure you'll find many IC's for 40K points. The math gets harder when you calculate the value of 40K points when you're booking 4 nights with the 4th night free. Keep in mind there are 2 different Chase IHG cards.
Sorry forgot one more thing, the $200 spend on AMB, gets you 15.000 points, so factor that in as well.
Oh interesting, that's something I didn't take into account. Though I'm still waiting for my IHG Card to come in. I do have plenty of Chase UR pts I can transfer for the 40k. So trying to decide whether I should use cash or pts. I see a travel blog that said in 2018 he got an offer of 200USD that gave 15kpts and 10% additional pts rebate on reward nights. Right now when I click "Enroll" it only gives me option to pay the 200 USD with no mention of the 15k/10% offer...maybe it shows up afterwards? Also I don't have any pts yet in my IHG account so maybe that's why no pay via pts option is even showing up for me....
Old Mar 7, 2019, 7:01 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Not sure you'll find many IC's for 40K points.
Any IC in Asia, aside from ones in Japan. Some of those cost above 200 USD, like ICs in Seoul or Bangkok.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:34 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ginmqi
Oh interesting, that's something I didn't take into account. Though I'm still waiting for my IHG Card to come in. I do have plenty of Chase UR pts I can transfer for the 40k. So trying to decide whether I should use cash or pts. I see a travel blog that said in 2018 he got an offer of 200USD that gave 15kpts and 10% additional pts rebate on reward nights. Right now when I click "Enroll" it only gives me option to pay the 200 USD with no mention of the 15k/10% offer...maybe it shows up afterwards? Also I don't have any pts yet in my IHG account so maybe that's why no pay via pts option is even showing up for me....
Unless there is a sign up promotion the 15k points is only when you renew AMB for 200$, not for signing up the first time.
ginmqi likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Noob question - is the BOGO AMB certificate expiration date a stay-by or book-by date? For example, if the cert expires July 2019, but I book using the Ambassador rate for September 2019, will it be honored?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by AtomicLush
Noob question - is the BOGO AMB certificate expiration date a stay-by or book-by date? For example, if the cert expires July 2019, but I book using the Ambassador rate for September 2019, will it be honored?
Stay by. Needs to be current when you check in at the hotel.
TravelLawyer likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:23 am

Programs: IHG
Has anyone received their weekend cert yet? They said it would be emailed. What's the delay?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.