Ambassador and free weekend night voucher

Old Dec 15, 2014, 7:13 am

Programs: BAEC, IHG, LeClub, HHonors
I have a 3 night long weekend stay in Boston next September, I am currently tinkering with paying the $200 fee for ambassador status to get the free weekend night certificate because I have it in mind that with each night currently at a best flex rate of $329 it's a no brainer and i would be saving $129 on my booking.

Can someone confirm my thinking is correct please?

Thanks
Old Dec 15, 2014, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by mc1973
I have a 3 night long weekend stay in Boston next September, I am currently tinkering with paying the $200 fee for ambassador status to get the free weekend night certificate because I have it in mind that with each night currently at a best flex rate of $329 it's a no brainer and i would be saving $129 on my booking.

Can someone confirm my thinking is correct please?

Thanks
You need to book the two nights in question via this link: intercontinental.com/AMBweekend
The rate is typically the worst flexible (sorry best flexible) rate, no discounted rates. It could be that there are no free night rooms (even if there are still regular rooms for sale).
You also will not get points for the free night.

Otherwise your thinking is correct and you will have ambassador status for a year.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 7:53 am

Programs: IC Spire Amb, Hilton, Marriott, BA, VA.
Don't forget to throw thoughts of some kind of Ambassador upgrade into the mix when making your decision. It does vary from property to property, but sometimes you can get a great upgrade even as a plain "vanilla" Ambassador!
Old Dec 15, 2014, 9:48 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
You need to book the two nights in question via this link: intercontinental.com/AMBweekend
The rate is typically the worst flexible (sorry best flexible) rate, no discounted rates. It could be that there are no free night rooms (even if there are still regular rooms for sale).
You also will not get points for the free night.

Otherwise your thinking is correct and you will have ambassador status for a year.
I believe you have to be an Ambassador to see the rates. I am going through a similar thought process, and ran up into this issue to see the savings. I'll check the best flexible rate, thanks.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 6:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Still finding availability in the US very difficult in the main cities.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 7:14 pm

It's very frustrating, and every time I check any hotel in any city I want to go to I get this msg, which I assume means I CANNOT use my free voucher:

"No rooms exactly matching your preferences were found. The following room types are available."
Old Jan 1, 2015, 10:45 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by Dicksbits
It's very frustrating, and every time I check any hotel in any city I want to go to I get this msg, which I assume means I CANNOT use my free voucher:

"No rooms exactly matching your preferences were found. The following room types are available."
I have never had an issue using mine. You are selecting at least 2 nights and over a weekend, correct?
Old Jan 1, 2015, 11:16 pm

Programs: IHG Plat AMB, BA Bronze & QF Silver
Originally Posted by Dicksbits

I had exactly the same problem when searching for a four night stay spanning the weekend. When I changed my search criteria to a two day stay over the weekend encompassing both days on a weekend it worked fine.
Currently available in most Cities across the whole of Europe. (Sorry, didn't check US).
Old Jan 2, 2015, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by iFlip23
I had exactly the same problem when searching for a four night stay spanning the weekend. When I changed my search criteria to a two day stay over the weekend encompassing both days on a weekend it worked fine.
Currently available in most Cities across the whole of Europe. (Sorry, didn't check US).
weird isn't it? I did the same and two night availability opened up in Warsaw and Madrid in mid-Feb. 4 nights wouldn't work anywhere, except when I checked last year for Tokyo in Feb (could see 4 night availability).
Old Jan 3, 2015, 12:24 am

Programs: BA Blue, Priority Club Plat (again!), Marriott Rewards Gold
Are the free night certificates transferable?
Old Jan 3, 2015, 3:36 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by TheMajor
Are the free night certificates transferable?
Assuming Bogos, not CC certs or the intothenights free nights certs

Well IHG t+c's say not transferrable, but there is no serial numbers etc on supplied bogo certs so in practise yes,

Normally one can only obtain 2x BOGOs direct from IHG, yearly Ambassador renewal + one extra if later on earning RA level.

Individual hotels can't see how many bogos a year one uses, and although I guess IHG corporate can see, there are no reports from anyone that using 4/5 bogos in a year for yourself causes any issues.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 9:55 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, QF Lifetime silver (ex plat :(), Accor Gold, IHG Ambassador, PC Platinum, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by scubaccr
Assuming Bogos, not CC certs or the intothenights free nights certs

Well IHG t+c's say not transferrable, but there is no serial numbers etc on supplied bogo certs so in practise yes,

Normally one can only obtain 2x BOGOs direct from IHG, yearly Ambassador renewal + one extra if later on earning RA level.

Individual hotels can't see how many bogos a year one uses, and although I guess IHG corporate can see, there are no reports from anyone that using 4/5 bogos in a year for yourself causes any issues.
but not both at same hotel at same weekend as I wanted to!!

Last edited by morepointsplease; Jan 4, 2015 at 1:16 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 6, 2015, 3:41 am

Programs: BA Blue, Priority Club Plat (again!), Marriott Rewards Gold
Ok thanks, I have a certificate, I will not use so, if anyone is interested please let me know. (UK only)
Old Jan 6, 2015, 3:06 pm

Programs: IC Spire Amb, Hilton, Marriott, BA, VA.
Hi TheMajor,
pm sent regarding cert.
Regards, AMDB7
Old Jan 6, 2015, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA, IHG PLM AMB
So before it was asked if you had to be ambassador to use the certificate and the answer focused on ID so I think they made the assumption that it would be used by different person.

I need to re-ask with more detail.

I am currently ambassador with a BOGO certificate that expires after my ambassador expires.

Has anyone had success booking BOGO while ambassador and then using that BOGO certificate for that booking that happens to when you are no longer ambassador (ambassador expires prior to your booking)?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.