Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ambassador and free weekend night voucher

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:21 pm

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Roxman
Is it possible to book 2 nights using the free night certificate, then book 1 night separate, using best available rate and have them combine them so that I don’t have to check out, and check back in again?
Booking same room category on both bookings. Using 2+1 rather then 3 nights on one saves me for a couple of hundred dollers.
yeah, I’ve done it myself more than once.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: IHG
Is it possible to book 2 nights using the free night certificate, then book 1 night separate, using best available rate and have them combine them so that I don’t have to check out, and check back in again?
Booking same room category on both bookings. Using 2+1 rather then 3 nights on one saves me for a couple of hundred dollers.
Yes. Just book both and typically, they will just combine the reservations.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Yes, fairly common. That's why a screenshot is really mandatory.
You can always dig out original confirmation e-mail, even if the hotel tweaks the reservation in IHG system, no?
Old Nov 8, 2017, 7:54 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Keep hearing about FWNC availability restrictions. Not a good trend if true as it usually mirrors the Best Flex Rate and that is always available unless a room category is sold out. So it would mean deliberate limiting of the rate type making the cert even less valuable.

I booked about 2 months ago for IC Danang Sun Peninsula around Chinese New Year (700$ a night for Club room - yikes) and had no issue so hope what others encountered doesn't become a widespread issue.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
So far I have had no problems,I recently booked for New Year weekend at the Berlin IC, within a few days it was modified to show a double upgrade. Pleasantly surprised as I know th hotel is busy and expensive then
Old Nov 10, 2017, 7:33 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
I've done this just about every time I use a BOGO. IC HK is one of the best, even using award nights as the additional nights, and the rate/room category seldom (depends on occupancy level and your history at the hotel it seems,) needs to be the same. Never have I been moved nor made to checkin and out for the additional night(s.) I have one coming up in Jan 2018 at the IC SIN and the third night is an award. See how that plays out, as I've never stayed there before and my AMB will expire the end of this year. Not sure it's worth renewing.

Make sure to book the additional nights separately and not thru the AMB certificate screen as those rates are usually higher.
barracuda93 likes this.

Last edited by rbAA; Nov 11, 2017 at 7:35 pm
Old Nov 11, 2017, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by demue
I booked about 2 months ago for IC Danang Sun Peninsula around Chinese New Year (700$ a night for Club room - yikes) and had no issue so hope what others encountered doesn't become a widespread issue.
You're gonna love that resort! Went there the last year just before Christmas and it was low season, hardly anyone there. The season picks up from Christmas Day I was told. They allowed combining Ambassador upgrade with standard room Chase award and points award.But I think it might be cold during that time you're going. They never even asked for the cert.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by mechu
Renewed recently and realised the new BOGO voucher has my name and IHG membership number on it.
Only noticed this now when I had a look at the voucher I received in August.
While I can understand why they've done this, it's pretty annoying for me personally as I rarely get to use it, so usually try passing it on to a friend or family member.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by rbAA
I've done this just about every time I use a BOGO. IC HK is one of the best, even using award nights as the additional nights, and the rate/room category seldom (depends on occupancy level and your history at the hotel it seems,) needs to be the same. Never have I been moved nor made to checkin and out for the additional night(s.) I have one coming up in Jan 2018 at the IC SIN and the third night is an award. See how that plays out, as I've never stayed there before and my AMB will expire the end of this year.
Does this typically work? If I book one paid night in Club level and next night for points (i.e. basic room), chances are there I won't be kicked out to the lower level room or at least will retain Club access for the second night? Or it's rather a rare luck, while normally they gonna restrict Club access and move down?
Old Nov 19, 2017, 3:01 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Originally Posted by barracuda93
Does this typically work? If I book one paid night in Club level and next night for points (i.e. basic room), chances are there I won't be kicked out to the lower level room or at least will retain Club access for the second night? Or it's rather a rare luck, while normally they gonna restrict Club access and move down?
Of course it depends on the hotel, but I've never been moved and only one time was I asked to pay an additional amount, which ended up not being required. Grand Stanford in HK comes to mind. They are tough. If the hotel is one that is not overly busy or that you have a history of staying at, you should be fine. No guarantees though. Midweek? Which one?
barracuda93 likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:09 am

No guarantees though. Midweek? Which one?
As for time, I am flexible. Which one – that's a good question. It seems not easy to find IC which is both reasonably priced in cash and still makes sense booking with points. Possibly IC KL may be an option, though throwing 30k points for a night there is not a great value.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Barracuda93, I think you have all the required info you need from us in order to make a decision - ultimately only you can decide based on your own perceptions of value, etc.

Personally, I think KL is a great option for a BOGO redemption but if you can't even justify that location on a price basis then you might need to reconsider whether Ambassador actually makes sense for you.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by yurtripper
Personally, I think KL is a great option for a BOGO redemption but if you can't even justify that location on a price basis then you might need to reconsider whether Ambassador actually makes sense for you.
I have been discussing an option of BOGO (or even a single paid night) + next night on points. Which is not the same as just BOGO, since points price need to be factored in.

For BOGO as such IC KL is a good option, no doubt, and I probably gonna use my cert there. It's very affordable on cash rates. What I meant to say is that on points it is disproportionally expensive (compared to cash).
Old Nov 19, 2017, 5:17 pm

Of course, it's also good to see the cost of the different categories offered and what your "target" room is at each. As far as the value for the points, KL may be the lowest, as the base room (for an arbitrary weekend in June,) looks to be MYR414 (non AMB cert) and it's 30k (though I noticed that cash+points was only $30 for 5k and $60 for 10k vs the usual $40 or $70.) The base room on AMB cert is MYR485, Club is MYR735 and an Exec Suite is MYR1485, with cert. IC Suzhou numbers are higher cost though still 30k and the base (non cert) is CNY1060 vs CNY1150 cert rate, Club CNY2100 and suite is CNY2400. Nanjing is also 30k base non cert is CNY789 with cert it's CNY857, Club is CNY1257 and suite is CNY2357.

Of course, if you get too greedy and use the AMB cert to get a top suite, be prepared to have some resistance to the free night being in that same suite. IC HK and IC Wuxi have done that for me, but I've stayed at these frequently. Maybe pay the base or Club rate if reasonable instead of points if you want the top suites.

It never hurts to ask for what you want, though many hotels will have their sales dept email you with the cost to get the room you want. I find it's easier to just put it into the special request line that I would like a particular room and then have a pleasant discussion at the front desk, as most IC's staff want to make you happy.

Good luck.
barracuda93 likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 7:23 pm

It never hurts to ask for what you want, though many hotels will have their sales dept email you with the cost to get the room you want. I find it's easier to just put it into the special request line that I would like a particular room and then have a pleasant discussion at the front desk, as most IC's staff want to make you happy.
Good luck.
Thanks so much.

A bit of an off-topic: Leaving aside BOGO thing, what do you think of IC Bangkok if basic room is booked? Is it worth just to try the property? (Cash rates are normally non-justifiable there, since I can get a really good Marriott or SPG for under 5000 THB any date and typically under 4000 THB, which will include guaranteed Club and a better upgrade, than Ambassador gives. I still think if IC there is worth trying on points, while I have Ambassador status, or better use points for something else.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.