Wiki Posts
Search

Questions: Ambassador Renewal Options with 10% Points Rebate

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2012, 8:34 am
alc
Original Poster

data point

thought to provide my data point where I recently stay at a Staybridge for 2 nights on points, 20K per night. On the evening of 2nd night, I see 2 x 2K of adjustment posted, referencing the Staybridge that I am staying.
Old May 27, 2013, 10:32 am

Programs: Priority Club
One thing I'm not clear on (it was mentioned somewhere that contradictory information was given but it didn't seem to specify which was correct), if I have a number of rewards nights already booked (staying March 2014) prior to renewing my Amb status (due August 2013), will the rebate still kick in or would I have to cancel and re-book the nights post Amb renewal (i.e. after August 2013)?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 8:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold, Virgin FC Red
I queried this with PC last year but I seem to have deleted the emails.

I'm almost 100% sure they said that the bonus was not paid on existing bookings. The reason I say this was I distinctly remember attempting to rebook a reservation I had in Seattle only to find the room was not available any more!

If you have enough points, the best thing to do is make a duplicate reservation once you have renewed, and then cancel the original!
Old Jun 3, 2013, 4:11 am

Programs: LH (SEN), IHG (Plat Amb)
I had been told explicitly that I have to rebook the reward nights I had booked before Ambassador renewal.

However, no single rebate posted automatically, I had to beg for every single one of them.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 12:32 am

Programs: NH PLT+SFC(*G), JL JGC(OW Sapphire), IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by jochen_vdk
I had been told explicitly that I have to rebook the reward nights I had booked before Ambassador renewal.

However, no single rebate posted automatically, I had to beg for every single one of them.
They will be posted automatically, but not immediately. You need to wait few weeks after check-out, normally be posted together (in 1 record) once a month.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 4:08 am

Programs: LH (SEN), IHG (Plat Amb)
Originally Posted by jackho
They will be posted automatically, but not immediately. You need to wait few weeks after check-out, normally be posted together (in 1 record) once a month.
I know the rebate points post several weeks after the stay as per the terms and conditions. But as I wrote, no single one of them posted automatically for me. So it is important to keep track of them and claim the points if they don't post.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 6:22 am

Programs: PC Plat Royal Amb, Plat SPG
I have booked several hotels (HI, CP, IC) and got my rebate!
But I have a question... If I booked a hotel using 15000 point + 70$ (which is then 25000 point) will I get a rebate for the 15000 point only or for the 25000 ? Anyone have an experience with that?
Old Jul 17, 2013, 4:04 am

Programs: SAS EBG, IHG Spire Amb, CCG
Originally Posted by alqasimk
I have booked several hotels (HI, CP, IC) and got my rebate!
But I have a question... If I booked a hotel using 15000 point + 70$ (which is then 25000 point) will I get a rebate for the 15000 point only or for the 25000 ? Anyone have an experience with that?
My guess is 25 000 since you buy the points before booking the night (if you cancel the award you get 25 000 and no cash).
Old Jul 17, 2013, 2:38 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold
You will receive 2500 rebates on 15000 + $70 booking.
Probably the month after the stay.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 6:04 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
I had a couple of stays in Nov that hadn't had a rebate posted for them, nearly 3 months after both stays had been completed. I wait this long as another stay DID post the rebate, and it was nearly 3 months afterwards.

I had specifically cancelled and rebooked these stays after I received my ambassador newal.

I emailed amb services with the details.

In what must be some sort of record, I got a reply back within 30 mins apologising and confirm that the rebate points have been posted...which they indeed have.

Interestingly whatever way the agent posted them, they have posted as qualifying points for the year.

The $200 with 10% rebate is definitely the way to go if you are going to do even just 3-4 nights on rewards, assuming they are highish end redemption rates.

In my case 2 nights in CP miami, 2 nights in Cancun and a night in London IC has resulted in 20K rebate, plus the extra 10K point you get for going with the $200 option in the first place. Another 3-4 nights, and I'll have enough for a 50K redemption which would easily zero out the $200 cost of the package.

Interesting that if you are on this package and use C+P, then you are effectively buying points for 0.63c per point. Of course it doesn't work with the C+P plus cancel trick, as the rebate is only posts after the stay.

Last edited by tangey; Feb 18, 2014 at 6:16 am
Old Feb 9, 2015, 2:07 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by dbuckho
Yes - the visa gets 10% back and AMB with the option gets an additional 10% - for 20% total.
Is the 20% rebate confirmed?

Received the same offer for renewal which states: "Renew for $200 USD and receive 15,000* bonus IHG® Rewards Club points plus a 10%** rebate on Reward Nights"

At the same time, my Chase IHG Mastercard has a built in feature that stipulates: "Automatic 10% point rebate"

My question would be, if I renew using this offer and redeem IHG points for reward nights, would my rebate be 20% of points used?

Originally Posted by janvdr
Still waiting for my rebates from an award stay end of April...
Did you get your rebate?
Old Jul 12, 2016, 7:41 am

No agent has a clue about the 10% rebate

I called IHG and IC Ambassador. It seems no agent really understands how it works. Especially when you renew your ambassador in advance, they don't know if the 12-month starts from the day of renewal or the day of the new membership year... Very confusing...
Old Jul 12, 2016, 9:19 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by maplenight
I called IHG and IC Ambassador. It seems no agent really understands how it works. Especially when you renew your ambassador in advance, they don't know if the 12-month starts from the day of renewal or the day of the new membership year... Very confusing...
Unfortunately it starts from the renew date not the date you renew so early renewal doesnt help.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by kauppias
Unfortunately it starts from the renew date not the date you renew so early renewal doesnt help.
And here I have an email which proves otherwise.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 1:24 pm

Programs: SQ S, IHG Diamond/Amb, Accor S
Originally Posted by maplenight
And here I have an email which proves otherwise.
I also have an email which proves that the day I renewed (i.e. paid for) my membership counts, not the official "renewal date".

I have renewed by Ambassador membership using the $200/10% rebate option several years in a row and I have to always chase IHG Ambassador Services for the rebate, as it never posts automatically. I am still waiting for 6,000 points rebate for a stay 8 weeks ago :-(

I had a reward stay in February 2015 which I booked in June 2014. I renewed my Ambassador membership on the 16th of November 2014. When the rebate had not posted after 6 weeks I reached out to Ambassador Services asking them to post the rebate. They initially refused because
only Reward Nights made after your renewal date - 16 November 2014 - will count towards the Ambassador 10% Rebate
I then pointed out to them that that did not matter at all, since I was Ambassador member in June 2014 as well and I had used the $200/10% rebate option for my previous membership year as well. Then finally I got the message that
After further review, we have confirmed that the stays in question are eligible for the 10% rebate benefit and should have posted to your account automatically. Therefore, we have manually deposited the appropriate number of rebate points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.