Wiki Posts
Search

5 Nights in London

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2012, 5:25 am
bxs
Original Poster

5 Nights in London

Hi all, we will be staying in London for 5 nights on points and was wondering if anyone can offer some recommendations on which HI we should go for. I've researched the forum and there are plenty of discussion already but most of them dates at least a couple of years back so looking for more recent experiences.

As a summary, it will be 5 nights on points being a plat in October. I think it will be a HI as we do not wish to spend more than 25k (or 20/15 P+C). As this will be mrs bxs's first trip to London on our rtw honeymoon, below are the list of items that we'll need some help with. And due to location being pretty important, our short list is HI Oxford Circus, Mayfair, Regents Park or Bloomsbury.
  • Free Wifi
  • Plat upgrades (on points)
  • Conditions of rooms

Thanks in advance
Old Jun 17, 2012, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by bxs
Hi all, we will be staying in London for 5 nights on points and was wondering if anyone can offer some recommendations on which HI we should go for. I've researched the forum and there are plenty of discussion already but most of them dates at least a couple of years back so looking for more recent experiences.

As a summary, it will be 5 nights on points being a plat in October. I think it will be a HI as we do not wish to spend more than 25k (or 20/15 P+C). As this will be mrs bxs's first trip to London on our rtw honeymoon, below are the list of items that we'll need some help with. And due to location being pretty important, our short list is HI Oxford Circus, Mayfair, Regents Park or Bloomsbury.
  • Free Wifi
  • Plat upgrades (on points)
  • Conditions of rooms

Thanks in advance
If its your honeymoon, stay at Crowne Plaza The City or the IC. The other properties are substantially worse in terms of quality. Buy the extra points if required using the 'cash and points and cancel' trick - you are talking an extra $60 a night for the CP, well worth it.

Of those you listed, Mayfair has the biggest rooms and best location.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 6:13 am
bxs
Original Poster

5 Nights in London

Thanks Raffles. As this is part of a rather epic trip, we are splurging in better hotels in other cities in Europe. Also we both prefer being out and about rather than those relaxing in the hotel kind of honeymoon (again will be doing that elsewhere). The list of things for us to hit in London is mainly sight seeing, catch a show or two in west end and Heston's fat duck. Not expecting any of the HI to be extraordinary tbh just hoping to choose one that wouldn't be a total disaster that's all. Reviews on TRipadvisor is too diverse for us to make a call!!
Old Jun 17, 2012, 6:54 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.5; en-gb; GT-I9100 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I'm sure someone will correct me, but don't think any of those hotels offer free wi-fi. The chances of an upgrade for a 5 night points booking are not great either, I'm afraid.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 7:04 am

as a UK based bloke...I don't think you'll have a lot of joy with the free wifi. But london has free wifi in LOTS of places...you're never more than a 2 minute walk from a McDs and Starbucks. With the Upgrades thing...I wouldn't bother; You'll possibly get upped to an exec room...usually slippers and gown but nothing great about the room.

Where would I stay...the HI Regent Park would be my choice...nice area, lots around the corner...just my perspective.

It's very walkable to oxford street/goodge st....loads of brekky options.
If you want the hotel brekky...make sure you ask at check-in whether they offer discount deals the day in advance (very common).
Old Jun 17, 2012, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bxs
Thanks Raffles. As this is part of a rather epic trip, we are splurging in better hotels in other cities in Europe. Also we both prefer being out and about rather than those relaxing in the hotel kind of honeymoon (again will be doing that elsewhere). The list of things for us to hit in London is mainly sight seeing, catch a show or two in west end and Heston's fat duck. Not expecting any of the HI to be extraordinary tbh just hoping to choose one that wouldn't be a total disaster that's all. Reviews on TRipadvisor is too diverse for us to make a call!!
A Mayfair room with 2 double beds will be huge - they are actually the biggest standard rooms I have ever seen in London. They have a few Exec rooms which have been redone (the other rooms are 25-ish years old) and you could see if they would take a few quid for an upgrade. Starbucks and a Sainsbury's supermarket directly opposite and 100 cafes and restaurants within 5 minutes walk. The Ritz hotel is opposite should you want to eat or drink there at night (jacket and tie needed, no exceptions). Green Park tube about 30 seconds walk, which is a direct link to Heathrow. Walkable to all the theatres.

The Fat Duck is not in London, I assume you know. You should also book now if you want to go. Heston's restaurant at the Mandarin Oriental is also worth a visit.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 2:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Raffles
If its your honeymoon, stay at Crowne Plaza The City or the IC. The other properties are substantially worse in terms of quality. Buy the extra points if required using the 'cash and points and cancel' trick - you are talking an extra $60 a night for the CP, well worth it.

Of those you listed, Mayfair has the biggest rooms and best location.
Although I understand the need and desire to economize, the CP at Blackfriars is quite a nice place and such a great location. I might well do cash and points to make that leap.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA, AA, BMI, MR, HH, PC
HI Mayfair would be my choice too. Walking distance to everything including StPauls and Southbank if you are willing to stretch legs a little further. Good for all west end theatres also. You can minimise need for public transport by staying there. It's 2 minute walk from Green Park tube when you do need it. Picadilly line takes you direct to lhr by tube in 60 mins and to South Ken for museums and Knightsbridge. Jubilee line takes you direct to Olympic Park, Waterloo, Baker Street. A few weeks ago i was surprised no to pick up any useful wifi signal in hotel rooms but this was no big deal. Just go to a tmobile shop and get a payg sim for 5 pounds which will give you 500 mb for video and music plus unlimitted browsong, email, facebook etc for a month.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 2:38 pm

JI Mayfair would be my choice too. Walking distance to everything including StPauls and Southbank if you are willing to stretch legs a little further. Good for all west end theatres also. You can minimise need for public transport by staying there. It's 2 minute walk from Green Park tube when you do need it. Picadilly line takes you direct to lhr by tube in 60 mins and to South Ken for museums and Knightsbridge. Jubilee line takes you direct to Olympic Park, Waterloo, Baker Street. A few weeks ago i was surprised not to pick up any useful wifi signal in hotel rooms but this was no big deal. Just go to a tmobile shop and get a payg sim for 5 pounds which will give you 500 mb for video and music plus unlimitted browsong, email, facebook etc for a month.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:38 am
bxs
Original Poster

Thanks all for your input. Was originally leaning towards HI Oxford Circus due to location(reviews on Tripadvisor was probably least appealing among the HIs) but having had a closer look at the map, and based on the input so far Mayfair seems to be as good if not better. Might email the hotel closer to arrival to see we'll be able to score a nicer room as the points booking only have standard rooms.

The Fat Duck is not in London, I assume you know. You should also book now if you want to go. Heston's restaurant at the Mandarin Oriental is also worth a visit.
Their online system does not currently allow me to book as it's >90 days but will be ready when it hits 10am @T-90^! Any advice on how best to get there? Was thinking a train to Maidenhead and a taxi to the restaurant.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 7:11 am
bxs
Original Poster

5 Nights in London

After much thought, we have decided we will take that step up and splurge a little more for a CP. So anyone has any advice on which CP we should go for? CP City or CP St James??

Thanks again.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

St James is in need of refurb, frankly its (taken as a whole inc location) no better than HI Mayfair. Room will be a lot smaller unless lucky.

CP City and the IC are the only two you could consider luxury and therefore worth the step up in points. City location is not West End and thus may be a bit offputting but loads around the hotel inc St Pauls, Tate Modern, Globe and even walkable from the theatres in, say, 30 minutes.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 2:18 pm
Suspended

St James is in need of refurb, frankly its (taken as a whole inc location) no better than HI Mayfair. Room will be a lot smaller unless lucky.

CP City and the IC are the only two you could consider luxury and therefore worth the step up in points. City location is not West End and thus may be a bit offputting but loads around the hotel inc St Pauls, Tate Modern, Globe and even walkable from the theatres in, say, 30 minutes.
I found it an easy and enjoyable walk from CP The City to the Savoy and Covent Garden and the Harold Pinter Theatre.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 2:32 pm

Buy the extra points if required using the 'cash and points and cancel' trick...
Can you clarify? What is "the trick"? Are you referring to just using C&P? Or is there an actual trick that could earn more PC points?
Old Jun 21, 2012, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by bxs
After much thought, we have decided we will take that step up and splurge a little more for a CP. So anyone has any advice on which CP we should go for? CP City or CP St James??

Thanks again.
I have been in both cp coty and hi mayfair. IMHO the difference in quality of city roomscompaired to mayfair were not worth the extra points. For me location of maufair trumps city and more than offsets difference in room quality. If you are likely to be out of hotel most of time then I think mayfair is a nobrainer. Although city is nice it hardly counts as a great leisure hotel for those looking for full facilities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.