Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC Edinburgh The George Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2003, 8:42 am
Original Poster

IC Edinburgh The George Master Thread

Anyone stayed here? If so would you stay there again? Most of what I have heard is that this isn't that great of a hotel.
Old Sep 25, 2003, 3:17 pm
Lux

Great location but rather tired.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 1:04 am

Programs: IC Amb, IHG Plat
Is there any good review for IC Edinbugh The George?
Old Nov 7, 2019, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by indrawnrt
Is there any good review for IC Edinbugh The George?
Stayed a couple of weeks ago on the luxury free night offer from earlier in the year. Was upgraded to a Forth View room which had been refurbished (I think they are about halfway through the rooms going by what the lady at checkin was saying). The refurbished room was nice, bathroom in particular very nice. It was refurbished extensively about five years ago but obviously they are spending some more cash to bring it up to a decent IC standard.

One of the lifts were out of use and was being replaced by the look of things.

Free small bar of Green & Blacks chocolate provided at checkin and 600 points added to account - no choice between points or drink and welcome letter for AMB only mentions the points, forgot to query at checkout.

£15 F&B/minibar credit for AMB as standard. In the minibar this will cover one spirit (not malt) & mixer or two beers. The wine in the minibar was £17.50 and the white was also quite sweet IMO. There was a wedding on in the hotel the night we were there and the bar was like a zoo.

We didn’t eat in the hotel in the evening but had a coffee and cake in the coffee shop which was quite nice.

Breakfast £23 or £20 if ordered the night before was actually quite good. You can choose an item from the a la carte menu at no additional charge as well as the buffet. The coffee was very good and was pretty strong whilst toast is served to the table. Service at breakfast was very good the morning we were there and our server (I think his name was Jules) was on the ball with additional drinks and toast offered before before we had finished.

Definitely an improvement on what it was all those years ago when this thread was started. It’s not the best IC you’ll ever stay at that’s for sure, however if you can get it at a decent price you could make it work. I’m not sure it’s worth 55k in points though.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 4:14 am

Programs: IC Amb, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by chrism20
Stayed a couple of weeks ago on the luxury free night offer from earlier in the year. Was upgraded to a Forth View room which had been refurbished (I think they are about halfway through the rooms going by what the lady at checkin was saying). The refurbished room was nice, bathroom in particular very nice. It was refurbished extensively about five years ago but obviously they are spending some more cash to bring it up to a decent IC standard.

One of the lifts were out of use and was being replaced by the look of things.

Free small bar of Green & Blacks chocolate provided at checkin and 600 points added to account - no choice between points or drink and welcome letter for AMB only mentions the points, forgot to query at checkout.

£15 F&B/minibar credit for AMB as standard. In the minibar this will cover one spirit (not malt) & mixer or two beers. The wine in the minibar was £17.50 and the white was also quite sweet IMO. There was a wedding on in the hotel the night we were there and the bar was like a zoo.

We didn’t eat in the hotel in the evening but had a coffee and cake in the coffee shop which was quite nice.

Breakfast £23 or £20 if ordered the night before was actually quite good. You can choose an item from the a la carte menu at no additional charge as well as the buffet. The coffee was very good and was pretty strong whilst toast is served to the table. Service at breakfast was very good the morning we were there and our server (I think his name was Jules) was on the ball with additional drinks and toast offered before before we had finished.

Definitely an improvement on what it was all those years ago when this thread was started. It’s not the best IC you’ll ever stay at that’s for sure, however if you can get it at a decent price you could make it work. I’m not sure it’s worth 55k in points though.
Thanks for the great review! Couldnt find many reviews regarding to this hotel.
Very excited for my upcoming stay ere, booked with IC Ambassador BOGO for the end of the month.

Hopefully i will get the room upgrade as well.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by indrawnrt
Thanks for the great review! Couldnt find many reviews regarding to this hotel.
Very excited for my upcoming stay ere, booked with IC Ambassador BOGO for the end of the month.

Hopefully i will get the room upgrade as well.
No problem, IIRC the upgrade appeared two or three days before the stay.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 8:54 am

Staying here at the moment. Booked IHG LuxLife 3for2 which comes at £413 for three nights inclusive of breakfast. The $100 dollar credit can be used together with $20 Ambassador credit so altogether it's about £90.

Upgraded from Standard to Junior Suite which is surprisingly generous. I absolutely love the room design.

The check-in agent wasn't familiar with LuxLife but the duty manager called me back later confirming all benefits. Received two gin&tonic in the room as welcome gift and mineral water is replenished daily.

Simply for the room I love it more than the Kimpton (which is also very good), and it's easily the best IHG hotel in the UK. Only drawback is the lack a pool, but if you really want it seems that the hotel can book you for the pool at Kimpton. Should you be interested I'll write a more comprehensive review on my blog
pazza2000 likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by strayersong
Staying here at the moment. Booked IHG LuxLife 3for2 which comes at £413 for three nights inclusive of breakfast. The $100 dollar credit can be used together with $20 Ambassador credit so altogether it's about £90.

Upgraded from Standard to Junior Suite which is surprisingly generous. I absolutely love the room design.
(...)
The check-in agent wasn't familiar with LuxLife but the duty manager called me back later confirming all benefits. Received two gin&tonic in the room as welcome gift and mineral water is replenished daily.

Simply for the room I love it more than the Kimpton (which is also very good), and it's easily the best IHG hotel in the UK. Only drawback is the lack a pool, but if you really want it seems that the hotel can book you for the pool at Kimpton. Should you be interested I'll write a more comprehensive review on my blog
Great rate, Edinburgh is rather expensive right now. Will need to take a look at IHG’s LuxLife

Last edited by FLYGVA; Aug 12, 2023 at 1:53 am Reason: edited pics out of quoted post
Old Apr 18, 2022, 1:34 am

Programs: Diamond Inner Circle Royal Ambassador
Currently at this hotel. Have been largely very impressed.

Staying on the 3 for 2 Lux Life rate. Staff were aware of the benefits without asking so all good there.

Got a lovely junior suite which is actually a suite really, two separate rooms and a very nice bathroom.

However, one of the oddest things to happen at a hotel has happened for me on this trip. 2 nights into our 3 night stay and we come back around 4pm to the room. Housekeeping have been, everything has been sorted. Except, in the bathroom, we find a massive hole in the ceiling and plasterboard dust all over our stuff on the sink. A call down to reception has the duty manager here in just a few minutes. Apparently they've been trying to find a water leak and had to come to our room to do this work.

If the work is needed, that's absolutely fine. What wasn't though was the lack of any communication with us and for our stuff to be covered in white dust they hadn't cleared up. A room move was offered but the new room was far smaller than this so we declined. We have been given a lovely bottle of gin as an apology and largely been impressed with the service recovery.

It's my last day here today and everytime I go in the bathroom I look at the hole and can't help feel perplexed by the whole affair. Certainly one of the oddest things I've experienced in a hotel.

Old Apr 18, 2022, 1:55 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
The maintenance team seems a bit on the sloppy/ inexperienced side. For starters, they needed to access the room, fair enough, but I agree that they can inform you (what else do they collect all the contact details for).

Secondly, after maintenance leaves they should inform house keeping and they should clean up including the dust removal etc.

Thirdly, is the leak issue fixed or not? Leaving the hole open could indicate it is not done yet, so they may need access again. But even then, they could cut a piece of drywall / plasterboard or such that can cover the opening (a bit bigger) and put it into the ceiling and over the opening so it is closed off, but not permanently 'sealed' off if you get what I mean?

As long as you are happy with the recovery all is good, but this part seems a bit haphazard in handling. YMMV.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by demue
The maintenance team seems a bit on the sloppy/ inexperienced side. For starters, they needed to access the room, fair enough, but I agree that they can inform you (what else do they collect all the contact details for).

Secondly, after maintenance leaves they should inform house keeping and they should clean up including the dust removal etc.

Thirdly, is the leak issue fixed or not. Leaving the hole open could indicate it is not done yet, so they may need access again. But even then, they could cut a piece of drywall / plasterboard or such that can cover the opening (a bit bigger) and put it into the ceiling and over the opening so it is closed off, but not permanently 'sealed' off if you get what I mean?

As long as you are happy with the recovery all is good, but this part seems a bit haphazard in handling. YMMV.
They did offer to cover it over for us but we said not to bother. Didn't really fancy workmen in the room again. How they didn't inform the guest of what had happened is beyond me. Not service expected from a 5 star hotel.

What's odder is the roof access hatch about 4ft from the hole they've cut. Why not use that?!

Otherwise been a good stay and the building is delightful. Not very "InterContinental" at all. The old Principal design very clear to see.

If I come to Edinburgh again though, I shall be trying the Kimpton.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 2:27 am

Perhaps I spoke to soon, there's water coming from the ceiling into the bathroom now!
Old Apr 18, 2022, 8:20 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
On the bright side, there is access already and it's the bathroom and not living or bedroom .

In all seriousness, hope they fix it for you )stop the water flow for sure) or at least do something on the recovery end that satisfies you. YMMV
Old Apr 19, 2022, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Smythmeister
Perhaps I spoke to soon, there's water coming from the ceiling into the bathroom now!
You're lucky at an IC in India (I'll save their blushes, although there are only two left in the sub-continent), water dripped through a light socket onto the bed. The "recovery" solution was shifting the bed and putting a bucket under the leak. All rather bizarre, but i was happy to put up with it in what was a otherwise a rather splendid suite.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by demue
On the bright side, there is access already and it's the bathroom and not living or bedroom .

In all seriousness, hope they fix it for you )stop the water flow for sure) or at least do something on the recovery end that satisfies you. YMMV
We checked out yesterday and all was well in the end as far as we were concerned. They hadn't found or fixed the water leak and the hole was still there when we left but it wouldn't put us off returning.

They do need to learn some lessons about service though. We should have been told and the head of maintenance that came to stop the water leak was profusely apologetic that nobody had told us what was happening at any point in the process.

It didn't help when at 1230 on day of checkout I had a phone call telling me check out was 12 and could I please leave the room. Had to politely explain that my ambassador late checkout had been arranged at check in and I would be staying.

The grounds and hotel itself are stunning and the mishaps were unfortunate but ultimately all could have been better managed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.