IC Abu Dhabi (Master Thread)

Old Nov 9, 08, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Oneworld Sapphire
IC Abu Dhabi (Master Thread)

Ive just checked out today after a 2 night stay at IC Abu Dhabi.

I must admit its an excellent property with a great man made beach and an excellent looking marina with a great choice of restaurants and good service provided by the people working there.

I do not however get the same impression from management: It felt like a tight property who are following Priority Club guidelines as strict as possible.

I actually emailed the hotel prior to my stay regarding their RA upgrade policy and what sort of upgrade I would get and also asking them on what days would my weekend bogof cert be valid as I intended using mine.

I was told back in a rather vague email that for booking a basic room I would get a CLub Intercontinental Room or a suite if available. I didnt even receive a reply regarding the bogof cert so thought it would be no problem.

Firstly upon checkin I was told I would be upgraded to a Club Intercontinental Room, ( i checked online prior to check in anyway and new I had this)

When I called the club lounge to ask for details re happy hour I was told after some confusion that I didnt have club access and that I would have to contact guest relations,

They were a waste of time and basically said they do not give club access for free and it is always extra with no club rooms for a supplement of 550 aed per night, a rip off for me considering I already had minibar anyway.

I even told that I was told by hotel that I would get club access but they were very strict in mentioning the IC RA t&c's about two tier upgrades, I couldnt be bothered and decided to give in and enjoy my stay.

I did tell the hotel that I would take this further with the Ambassador service centre later.

My two days at the hotel were fab, great property and service however I had another sour experience on check out.

Upon check out I was told that my weekend cert would not be taken as I had not handed it in at check in.

I advised that I have used this voucher at some 10 differrent properties in last 3 years and have never had any problems in using it at check out.

I called and then spoke with the next two managers who said they cannot take it as it has to be presented at check in and they said as it causes them accounting problems.

I advised I had already told them about using this voucher upon booking and received no advice about presenting this voucher at check in and also advised that It has never been a problem at check out for me at any other IC. THe woman manager then proceeded to read back the t&c's to me again frustratingly.

Very annoying experience. They finally took the bogof as a special one off once i had spent an good 15 mins digging up emails from my work account which proved I had contacted the hotel and received no advice regarding the bogof.

Even before I left the manager called me over and informed that I had to wait until they had received the emails.

Not happy about this cocky attitude from management at the IC Abu Dhabi, which ruined otherwise a superb hotel.

I am an RA with 48 nights mostly at IC properties in 2008 alone, i certainly wasn't treated like one.

Oh and finally the tight arses at IC Abu Dhabi charge for Crisps or Chocolates taken from the minibar, closely again following the terms and conditions regarding the free minibar limited to only beverages,

Fine hotel but bad management and customer service from management and check in/ guest relations staff.

I have just come back from my 4th stay at IC Grand Mumbai, excellent hotel, 4 tier upgrade to SPa Suite, club access airport pick up and great friendly staff and management. Now that was a fab perfect stay.

Now on to IC Dubai Festival City. Already booked an Exec room as I have been told that this would get me a suite and club access.
Old May 2, 09, 12:18 pm
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Read in this thread about the discussion if the hotel was right in how they handled the situation
Old May 26, 09, 4:10 am

Programs: LH HON, PC RA
I agree it is a nice facility. Like the new rooms after renovation. All a little more modern.
The Club Lounge is huge and if you have access you will like it. Breakfast is excellent. Never made it to Happy Hour though.

One additional feature the hotel has: The Fish Market. Abu Dhabi's best Fish Restaurant. Offers great fish...

Staff on check-out is rather useless. Always have problems with my invoice and they seem not to be able to use the system right.
Old Jun 9, 09, 1:00 pm

Programs: IC - Plat Ambassador, HH - G, AA - G, VS -G RJ - S, EK
Originally Posted by travelben View Post
I

Staff on check-out is rather useless. Always have problems with my invoice and they seem not to be able to use the system right.
Not just check out - front desk staff at this property are something else. It's always a constant battle to get anything 'outside the box'.
Old Jun 10, 09, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Oneworld Sapphire
I stayed here again in Feb 2009 and this was a more smoother stay than my previous visit in Nov 2008.

I was offerred as an RA the choice of an upgrade between a Suite or a Club Room with Club access.

Excellent hotel with good choice of amenities. The Brazillian bar restaurant is an excellent dining choice.

I also recomend a few drinks at the the Yacht Club.
Old Jun 19, 12, 12:40 pm

Programs: BA, DC, IC
IC Abu Dhabi

Hi, looking to stay at the IC Abu Dhabi, has anyone been able to pay to upgrade to the club rooms when booking a points stay? If so at what cost?
Old Jun 20, 12, 12:26 pm

Programs: Platinum Ambassador, HH Gold
Yes, stayed approx 3 weeks ago and it was UAE 250 per night + 35 tax,which ,I was told, was a special price for Plat Ambassador as its normally 450.
The 250 was for two of us.Approx 50 and worth every penny.
I had two paid nights and one on points and was able to use on the points night.
I reckon its 250 for anyone willing to pay!
Old Jun 20, 12, 11:47 pm

Programs: Royal Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Judgejudy View Post
Yes, stayed approx 3 weeks ago and it was UAE 250 per night + 35 tax,which ,I was told, was a special price for Plat Ambassador as its normally 450.
I had two paid nights and one on points and was able to use on the points night.
As an Royal Platinum Ambassador I always got the Access to Club for free in Abu Dhabi, also on points stay.

Any documented changes? I know that IC Festival City in Dubai charges for the Club for a points stay, but Abu Dhabi was different in the past.
Old Jun 22, 12, 3:26 am

Programs: BA, DC, IC
Originally Posted by Judgejudy View Post
Thats great news thanks
Old Jun 22, 12, 9:51 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
I stay at the Abu Dhabi IC every year. Whilst I have had a few customer service issues overthe years, the Club Lounge is very good, although I think the evening snack offering has reduced in recent years.

I am booked to return and would recoomed the hotel. It is not excellent, but very good.
Old Jun 23, 12, 11:35 am

Programs: Platinum Ambassador, HH Gold
Evening offerings were very good while we were there. One evening they did mini burgers(amongst many other things) which were fantastic and quickly devoured by all. They were replenished soon enough.
Old Sep 11, 12, 7:04 am

Programs: KLM Gold/MS Elite/LH FTL/HH Gold/Accor PLAT/IHG Plat Ambassador/CC Gold
Club acess for RA

Is Club still included for RA and free?
Could anyone who stayed recently report?
How are the offerings?
Thankx
Old Feb 1, 14, 11:25 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Just spent a nice long weekend at the IC Abu Dhabi using my Ambassador weekend certificate. Double upgrade as RA to an Emirate Suite, which is very nice with living room, dining area, guest WC, large bathroom and nice size bedroom and living area. Had Club Lounge access with good spread at breakfast and evening snack/cocktails from 18:30 to 20:30.

Nice sized pool, private beach club is nearing its upgrade completion and a good range of restaurants.

Staff mostly great.

Will return.
Old Jun 24, 14, 2:26 pm

Had another great stay. No longer a RA, but stayed in an Emirates suite with a one level upgrade.

Beach club nearly complete, good meal at Chamas and attentive stay throughout.
Old Jun 25, 14, 12:17 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently View Post
Just spent a nice long weekend at the IC Abu Dhabi using my Ambassador weekend certificate. Double upgrade as RA to an Emirate Suite, which is very nice with living room, dining area, guest WC, large bathroom and nice size bedroom and living area. Had Club Lounge access with good spread at breakfast and evening snack/cocktails from 18:30 to 20:30.
I am an RA, and I stayed in early June. They upgraded me to the Emirates Suite, but told me it was a level beyond what I should have been upgraded to. They also told me that with a suite that no club lounge access is provided, if I wanted the club I could pay or take a standard room.

It sounds like it didn't used to be this way, can anybody else confirm lounge access is no longer provided if they upgrade you to a suite?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: