Search

Using Wifi router insuite?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2012, 12:56 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

Using Wifi router insuite?

Many of the IC suites I use seem to be problematic when it comes to wifi range. As we're both Ipad users the RJ45 internet option is no longer viable. I've ordered a travel wifi router to plug into the socket and wondered whether any other IC'ers have had experience of using wifi routers in-suite in IC's and had any problems or not.

Thanks.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 1:35 am

Programs: EY Silver, SPG Platinum
I have an EDIMAX BR-6258n (http://www.edimax.com/en/produce_det...d=24&pl2_id=89) which is quite small (about the size of a box of matches) but also fast and it works great in each and every hotel room I have tried it.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 1:56 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

Many thanks - that's great news. I understand that some properties IT reject routers. I've ordered a Sapido.

Any special modes or setting?
Old Jun 6, 2012, 6:40 am

Programs: PC Platinum
Ive never had any issues running a router within a room while staying at a hotel. For either having better range/signal or just because i had multiple machines that were necessary to be online and no wifi within the hotel.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 7:47 am

I usually connect my PC to the hotel network and then run Connectify on the PC. This software turns the PC into a WiFi access point for all you ipads, iphones, kindles and the hundreds of other devices you might have. The free version works great for me - many different ICs.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 7:51 am
inY

As long as it's a NAT router (and most consumer routers are) and not a switch, there's not much the hotel can do to stop you.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Unterwegs
I usually connect my PC to the hotel network and then run Connectify on the PC. This software turns the PC into a WiFi access point for all you ipads, iphones, kindles and the hundreds of other devices you might have. The free version works great for me - many different ICs.
Ditto - love the product. Still using the free version.

/d
Old Jun 6, 2012, 2:18 pm

Programs: FB GOLD, IHG Platinum, HHonors GOLD, A|Club Platinum
i usually use my Apple airport express. it works great. tested in various IC and HI . So far no issues.
Seems anyway that the lack of wifi range is a worlwide issue tho.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 7:47 pm

Airport Express

I have used an Airport Express at several ICs without problems. Once you accept terms of agreement, you can sync as many of your devices without an issue.
You may have to accept the terms of service on a daily basis though.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 9:32 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold *G, CX Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SPG Platinum, IHG Gold
I highly recommend an Apple Airport Express. I have an old beat up one that's been kept in my luggage for years. It works a charm at pretty much every hotel I've been to. Also gets rid of pesky limitations like 1 device/connection. Phones, tablets, and laptops connect without issue.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 1:05 pm

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
If you use these devices does internet become "free"
Old Jun 7, 2012, 4:51 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
Ditto on the AirPort Express. I also use one regularly at ICs. Way better coverage than hotel-provided WiFi.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 7:48 pm
neu

Programs: IC ambassador, KF Elite Gold
+1 for the airport express. Sometimes have to switch it to bridge mode but haven't had it not work for me yet.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 9:35 am

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
Originally Posted by naitkris
I have an EDIMAX BR-6258n (http://www.edimax.com/en/produce_det...d=24&pl2_id=89) which is quite small (about the size of a box of matches) but also fast and it works great in each and every hotel room I have tried it.
How does this work? Do you still need to login to the hotel network?

How does this compare to the Powerline Network? Aside from WiFi.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 10:34 pm

Windows 10 anniversary has this feature now.

Goto START | PC SETTINGS | NETWORK AND INTERNET | MOBILE HOTSPOT

Last edited by billykidd; Nov 13, 2016 at 10:44 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.