InterContinental Danang Sun Peninsula Resort [Master Thread]

Old Sep 23, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by UASPG
Still trying to figure out if it is worth getting a Club rate.

For the days I am looking at, the difference between the same type of room, Club and non Club, is USD 142.00 per night. Basically, that covers our 2 breakfasts and 2 evening drink hours.

We do not drink beers and usually prefer water to soft drinks, and we usually do not go to the tea time offerings when we have access to it.

Is a Club rate really worth it?

"A celebration of style in Danang, Vietnam, Club InterContinental offers guests an elevated standard of hospitality through luxurious, five-star accommodation and personalized services. The ultimate expression of exclusivity and privacy, Club guests can enjoy a selection of our very best accommodation, accompanied by the services of a butler at your side and a range of enhanced amenities.

We’re expecting you. Before you set foot at the resort, our dedicated reservations team sees to your every preference. Be charmed right off the plane with a warm welcome in our airport lounge and first-class transfers to the resort. Blissful spa treatments, reserved pool loungers as well as insider knowledge on the destination and the fine points of Vietnamese culture are all at your fingertips.

Club Room and Suite Guests have the opportunity to enjoy the following services and facilities:

‘At Your Side’ Butler Service
Access to Domestic Terminal’s Arrival & Departure Lounge at Danang International Airport
Access to Private Club Beach, sunbed reservation and enhanced services
A choice of 2 breakfast venues: continental buffet breakfast coupled with a la carte at Sun Peninsula Club Lounge (7.00am - 11.00am) or full buffet breakfast at Citron (6.30am - 10.30am)
Sun Peninsula Club Lounge Superb afternoon tea from 14:30hrs until 16:30hrs
Evening cocktails & canapés from 17:30hrs until 19:30hrs at Sun Peninsula Club Lounge
24 hours Sun Peninsula Club Lounge access with light refreshments and non-alcoholic beverage
Complimentary minibar consumption on non-alcoholic beverages & beer per daily set-up (only items in the minibar fridge - without snacks)
Complimentary in-room phone calls (Local calls, landline only)
Complimentary pressing service up to 2 pieces per stay
Wireless internet throughout the resort
For the comfort of all Club InterContinental guests, smart casual attire for visits to Sun Peninsula Club Lounge is kindly required."
Are you not also getting a slightly different and better room by booking the club rooms over non-club?
As such you can't apportion the whole $140 to 2x breakfasts, 2x teatimes, 2x evening canapes/drinks.
(Also Club access means you get the sodas/water in your rooms minibar foc each day too )

Then the 1cat upgrade from ClubRoom is also more worthwhile too than from non club
Old Sep 23, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
After paying a club upgrade fee last year, I don't think I'd do that again. The club lounge wasn't anything special IMHO. It's one expense during my VN trip that I wasn't too happy about.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 1:27 pm

If you book the Club Terrace Suite as AMB, then you should get an upgrade to the Club Peninsula Suite, which is ~50% larger than the Terrace Suite.

If you book a non-Club Terrace Suite, I don't think you'll get a meaningful upgrade in terms of the room.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
After paying a club upgrade fee last year, I don't think I'd do that again. The club lounge wasn't anything special IMHO. It's one expense during my VN trip that I wasn't too happy about.
Could you please develop on this?

Did you compare what you you would paid for breakfast and evening drinks (for the days you were present at the hotel during those hours) and other perks, if you would not have selected the Club rate?
Old Sep 23, 2017, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by stargold
If you book the Club Terrace Suite as AMB, then you should get an upgrade to the Club Peninsula Suite, which is ~50% larger than the Terrace Suite.

If you book a non-Club Terrace Suite, I don't think you'll get a meaningful upgrade in terms of the room.
In July, at the IC Bali, we were upgraded to a large Club suite, but the upgrade did not include the access to the lounge.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 9:13 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Still trying to figure out if it is worth getting a Club rate.

For the days I am looking at, the difference between the same type of room, Club and non Club, is USD 142.00 per night. Basically, that covers our 2 breakfasts and 2 evening drink hours.

We do not drink beers and usually prefer water to soft drinks, and we usually do not go to the tea time offerings when we have access to it.

Is a Club rate really worth it?
IMO, the club rate is definitely not worth it for you.

If you don't drink and don't go to afternoon tea, all you'll get out of your club fee is breakfast and evening canapes. In-room breakfast can be had for $20 or less (see my post above). Happy hour at long bar (2-4-1) has drink prices in the $6 range, and snacks from the pool bar can be had around $10 (e.g., seafood banh mi). Soft drinks from the minibar are pricey, but you're probably not going to drink $50+/day, which you'd have to do to break even.

Other club benefits would be worth nothing to me, unless you can negotiate an extra special upgrade.

- The standard rooms and terrace suites are identical among club/ST/classic, just in different locations.

- Airport assistance and departure lounge access is given for free to Spire/Amb (you do pay for consumption, but prices are reasonable, like $4 for an omelet; water/soft drinks are free).

- We stayed here half a dozen times and the beach was never crowded, so no benefit to the reserved club loungers (it's the same beach, just a section with a sign "reserved for club"). This may be different during peak season.

We typically consume what I'd call "club light" benefits (in-room breakfast, 4 drinks at HH, 2 cokes from the minibar) and spend about $50/day. IMO, you really have to take advantage of everything offered to recoup the $150-ish price tag.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by jpdx
IMO, the club rate is definitely not worth it for you.

If you don't drink and don't go to afternoon tea, all you'll get out of your club fee is breakfast and evening canapes. In-room breakfast can be had for $20 or less (see my post above). Happy hour at long bar (2-4-1) has drink prices in the $6 range, and snacks from the pool bar can be had around $10 (e.g., seafood banh mi). Soft drinks from the minibar are pricey, but you're probably not going to drink $50+/day, which you'd have to do to break even.

Other club benefits would be worth nothing to me, unless you can negotiate an extra special upgrade.

- The standard rooms and terrace suites are identical among club/ST/classic, just in different locations.

- Airport assistance and departure lounge access is given for free to Spire/Amb (you do pay for consumption, but prices are reasonable, like $4 for an omelet; water/soft drinks are free).

- We stayed here half a dozen times and the beach was never crowded, so no benefit to the reserved club loungers (it's the same beach, just a section with a sign "reserved for club"). This may be different during peak season.

We typically consume what I'd call "club light" benefits (in-room breakfast, 4 drinks at HH, 2 cokes from the minibar) and spend about $50/day. IMO, you really have to take advantage of everything offered to recoup the $150-ish price tag.
Thank you for your assessment - much appreciated.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 5:29 am

Programs: AA EXP IC AMBASSADOR/DIAMOND Tk/ELITE (*G), JumeirahONE Gold
Thank you for your assessment - much appreciated.
The hotel is great and I have been there three times but don't expect the prices that jdpx is quoting to be a fair benchmark if you are not very tight. This is just my opinion and jdpx 's can be different.

A light lunch for two by the pool is around 70 US with one drink each. Burgers are c 30 /35 euro when you add services and tax

Club is not great value but worth it if money is not a great concern.

For the beach access, Club is not that important except that you go in a very busy time.

February can be chilly so keep your expectations low re beach.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:58 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by palermo
The hotel is great and I have been there three times but don't expect the prices that jdpx is quoting to be a fair benchmark if you are not very tight. This is just my opinion and jdpx 's can be different.

A light lunch for two by the pool is around 70 US with one drink each. Burgers are c 30 /35 euro when you add services and tax.
I think you're making an important point. Prices at the hotel are high, and it's important for people to go in with the right expectations.

If you pay for breakfast buffet at Citron or order full American via room service, you're looking at $70 for two. At the pool, the lunch menu is somewhat limited (the fish and chips and some other items from the original menu are no longer available), but the burger is really the only pricey item. The banh mi are in the $10 range (the seafood one is delicious IMO) as are the salads, and inexplicably, some drinks are $10-ish, others $6-ish. Of course the pool lunch menu isn't covered by the club benefit, and I'm not sure I'd want to pick up and head to the club for afternoon tea, but if one does, that's a potential savings. I think it's possible to survive at this hotel "on the cheap" for about $75/day total per person (=roughly the cost of the club supplement), but of course if money is no object, you can easily spend $300-500.

For reference, here is a picture of my SO's room service breakfast -- we ordered an omelet for about $15 and coffee for $6 and somehow this ridiculous amount of food arrived -- enough to feed a family of bacon lovers for a week.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 9, 2017, 3:25 am

For those looking for airport transfers, we’ve been using this company and they’ve been great: https://hoianprivatecar.com/transfer-from-hoi-an/

From DAD to Hoi An it was $18 and Hoi An to the IC Danang $25 - with the driver waiting for us at the airport with a sign with our name and bottled water in an AC car.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 8:45 am

I realize that we have been very spoiled with great upgrades at many Starwood properties, more recently at a few Marriott hotels and also at a couple of IC resorts, but the management at this hotel seems to be very tough on those upgrades. Of course, no complimentary breakfast, which all those that often stay at Starwood, Marriott and Hilton properties take for granted.

I still hope that we will have a pleasant stay in a few weeks.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 3:00 pm

We can't make up our mind about an upgrade from the RESORT CLASSIC ROOMS OCEANVIEW to the SON TRAN ROOMS OCEANVIEW.

Anyone has an experience with both rooms?
Old Nov 19, 2017, 8:52 pm

Both rooms are identical but situated on different part of the mountainside.

You need a Terrace Suite if you want a larger room with a better layout. The Terrace Suite is significantly nicer than the Classic Rooms.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by stargold
Both rooms are identical but situated on different part of the mountainside.

You need a Terrace Suite if you want a larger room with a better layout. The Terrace Suite is significantly nicer than the Classic Rooms.
Thanks for the tip. Did you directly purchase that Terrace suite or did you pay for an upgrade?
In case of the latest, what was the cost of it?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 8:30 am

Thanks for the tip. Did you directly purchase that Terrace suite or did you pay for an upgrade?
In case of the latest, what was the cost of it?
Worth reconfirming with the property, but when I last stayed (Sep 2016) as a Gold Amb, the 'standard' upgrade was from Ocean Classic to Ocean Terrace.

IMO Son Tra is a bit of a meaningless room category - it's the same room / fittings, just on a higher level in the resort, but I don't think the view / location is materially better than the 'classic' rooms.

Last edited by markle; Nov 20, 2017 at 8:41 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.