InterContinental Danang Sun Peninsula Resort [Master Thread]

Old Mar 17, 2015, 3:11 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
planning to go end dec this yr-is it warm enough for swimming??
Google?
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
is there nowhere else to eat except in the resort?
READ post #87
Old Mar 29, 2015, 3:07 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Le Club Silver, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by OrientExpress
- Must try is La Maison Restaurant, only in Viet Nam 3* Michelin
Head up.

La Maison's contract with IC Danang ends in June 2015.

I'm assuming there will be no renewal as they would not let me make a booking for Jan 2016.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 8:01 pm

Programs: FB Gold, IC Gold Amb, Le Club Plat.
Originally Posted by yeemanz
Head up.

La Maison's contract with IC Danang ends in June 2015.

I'm assuming there will be no renewal as they would not let me make a booking for Jan 2016.
Sad new, it cost 02 mio $, 05 years construction
The place look amazing, food really delicious
Old Apr 9, 2015, 1:06 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Hi all,

I am considering staying at this hotel and would love some feedback from anyone with experience.

I have no IHG status but will be using points for a room booking.

Thinking of staying 3-4 nights, looking to just relax, hit the beach, and rest. According to the website, it looks like the room available for 25000 pts per night is a classic king resort ocean view...it looks like it is a HUGE room with outdoor balcony etc. Is this accurate?? The rooms look amazing.

Any other tips appreciated...is dining expensive here? Looks like there are not a lot of options near the hotel.

Thanks so much
Old Apr 10, 2015, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Hi all,

I am considering staying at this hotel and would love some feedback from anyone with experience.

Thinking of staying 3-4 nights, looking to just relax, hit the beach, and rest. According to the website, it looks like the room available for 25000 pts per night is a classic king resort ocean view...it looks like it is a HUGE room with outdoor balcony etc. Is this accurate?? The rooms look amazing.

Any other tips appreciated...is dining expensive here? Looks like there are not a lot of options near the hotel.

Thanks so much
Don't have any experience with the rooms, but for 25,000 points I think it's a steal. Especially since the room rate is something like $600USD a night for the basic room in January (last time I checked).

70sqm is basically the size of the IC suite I had in Tokyo and that was plenty big.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 12:34 am

Im going to book for a stay in may for 3 nights with points, have any one success in asking for an upgrade from standard queen ocean view to suite? Cause as i understand, club room is same as standard? I have Ambassador status btw.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 3:52 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by bigbang09
Im going to book for a stay in may for 3 nights with points, have any one success in asking for an upgrade from standard queen ocean view to suite? Cause as i understand, club room is same as standard? I have Ambassador status btw.
Last year we were upgraded from standard rooms to Son Tra Terrace Suites, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23221626-post66.html. But also standard rooms appear to be quite large. This is very good property to redeem one's IHG points.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 3:54 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Hi all,

Thanks so much
Dining is pretty expensive for Vietnam, but nothing outrageous, There is really nothing near the resort.

We enjoyed this place a lot.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by SPBanker
Last year we were upgraded from standard rooms to Son Tra Terrace Suites, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23221626-post66.html. But also standard rooms appear to be quite large. This is very good property to redeem one's IHG points.
Thanks, im emailing reservation to confirm. Would love to know if the upgrade worth purchasing Ambassador status?I plan on stay at IC seoul later as well so if i can get both stay upgrade then it will be awesome. Btw, does late check out apply to reward stay as well? Tks
Old Apr 16, 2015, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by bigbang09
Technically, the hotel does not have to upgrade you as you are using points. You also don't get the free movie.

All the other Ambassador benefits apply.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 11:45 pm

the rate will go up to 35k points on May 1,so book a room soon before than if you want to pay 25k per night
Old Jun 4, 2015, 9:35 am

Just finish our stay, here is my report:

Booking: 02
1st booking used BOGO, booked Club Terrace Suite
2nd booking was reward nights, 25K/ night, classic room
This will be our 4th stay here, as usual, we are family: 02 adults, 02 kids (4&6 years old)

Before arrival:
Got auto welcome email from hotel
Made a call to hotel reservation, was told that BOGO nights shall be upgraded to Club Peninsula Suites, Reward night - no upgraded.
We bought club access for reward nights & denied upgraded on BOGO night to keep Terrace Suite for all 04 nights.
Club access this year cost 160++, no surcharges for kids under 6, but no airport transfer also

Arrival day:
We arrived at 11am Sartuday
With kids, we checked in at reception, not club since they are not allowed there.
The resort was fully occupied, and with my surprised, we were upgraded to Villa by the Beach (with pool, 10m from the beach, our villa is 103 - best view among 03 villa they have, cost 1200$/night), but only for 02 BOGO nights.
Was offered to pay 350$/night more to keep villa on another 02 reward night which we denied. So at 4pm on the 3rd day, we moved to Club Terrace Suites in Club Intercontinental Area)

Weather: Perfect, sunshine, no rain

Beach:
- Water crystal clear, you can see some fish while swimming
- 02 separated area: for club & for other, enough sun-bed for all, they served mineral water on demand + fruits

Pool:
- LONG pool is great as always, now they extended the end of LONG pool, put about 20 more sunbed, enough for all. child is not allowed there
- Garden Pool: only 04 sunbed, need at least 04 more

Eating:
- Citron: Breakfast: 25++: delicious as always, Sunday Brunch: ˜100$, last year was ˜60$, lunch & dinner: vietnamese food
- Barefoot: Rare to see someone eating there, tried only kid''s menu, which free for club room.
- Le Maison 1888: Contract with Michele Rouge ending this month, revenue lower than expected, didn't tried also
- Club: 24h menu gone, now they serve only Breakfast (didn't use, 02 first night we ordered in room, 02 another at Citron), High Tea - good (from 14h30 to 16h30), Evening cocktails - good (17h30 till 19h30)

Staff: Very polite, action on all guest request, same as last time, we order high tea & evening cocktails from club to Citron.

Room: Villa by the Beach is exceptional, especially when you stay with kids. Total 197, this year opened some villa at other end of resorts, look very private and luxury.

Transportation: Only villa have free airport transfer, resort transfer cost: 40$, taxi ride cost ~20$ one way. About 4-5 km (3-4$) from resort opened some local seafood restaurant (near Son Tra Resort), didn't try.
Taxi trip to My Khe Beach, where most famous local seafood restaurant located cost ˜10$

Room: As good as always, free minibar for club room (except champagne & wine). Lovely Harn amenities, kids toiletteries,...

Price: My BOGO rate for Club Terrace Suite, book by April: 540++, now cheapest classic room: 480++, just checked, May 2016 classic room cost ˜700++, Club Terrace suite: 1250++. Reward night is not available until end 2015, in 2016 now available only from 01JAN16 till 31MAR16. It becoming not one of most luxury but also most expensive in Viet Nam.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 7:01 am
IHG 5+ Badge

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold
Just finish our stay, here is my report:

Booking: 02
1st booking used BOGO, booked Club Terrace Suite
2nd booking was reward nights, 25K/ night, classic room
This will be our 4th stay here, as usual, we are family: 02 adults, 02 kids (4&6 years old)

Before arrival:
Got auto welcome email from hotel
Made a call to hotel reservation, was told that BOGO nights shall be upgraded to Club Peninsula Suites, Reward night - no upgraded.
We bought club access for reward nights & denied upgraded on BOGO night to keep Terrace Suite for all 04 nights.
Club access this year cost 160++, no surcharges for kids under 6, but no airport transfer also

Arrival day:
We arrived at 11am Sartuday
With kids, we checked in at reception, not club since they are not allowed there.
The resort was fully occupied, and with my surprised, we were upgraded to Villa by the Beach (with pool, 10m from the beach, our villa is 103 - best view among 03 villa they have, cost 1200$/night), but only for 02 BOGO nights.
Was offered to pay 350$/night more to keep villa on another 02 reward night which we denied. So at 4pm on the 3rd day, we moved to Club Terrace Suites in Club Intercontinental Area)

Weather: Perfect, sunshine, no rain

Beach:
- Water crystal clear, you can see some fish while swimming
- 02 separated area: for club & for other, enough sun-bed for all, they served mineral water on demand + fruits

Pool:
- LONG pool is great as always, now they extended the end of LONG pool, put about 20 more sunbed, enough for all. child is not allowed there
- Garden Pool: only 04 sunbed, need at least 04 more

Eating:
- Citron: Breakfast: 25++: delicious as always, Sunday Brunch: ˜100$, last year was ˜60$, lunch & dinner: vietnamese food
- Barefoot: Rare to see someone eating there, tried only kid''s menu, which free for club room.
- Le Maison 1888: Contract with Michele Rouge ending this month, revenue lower than expected, didn't tried also
- Club: 24h menu gone, now they serve only Breakfast (didn't use, 02 first night we ordered in room, 02 another at Citron), High Tea - good (from 14h30 to 16h30), Evening cocktails - good (17h30 till 19h30)

Staff: Very polite, action on all guest request, same as last time, we order high tea & evening cocktails from club to Citron.

Room: Villa by the Beach is exceptional, especially when you stay with kids. Total 197, this year opened some villa at other end of resorts, look very private and luxury.

Transportation: Only villa have free airport transfer, resort transfer cost: 40$, taxi ride cost ~20$ one way. About 4-5 km (3-4$) from resort opened some local seafood restaurant (near Son Tra Resort), didn't try.
Taxi trip to My Khe Beach, where most famous local seafood restaurant located cost ˜10$

Room: As good as always, free minibar for club room (except champagne & wine). Lovely Harn amenities, kids toiletteries,...

Price: My BOGO rate for Club Terrace Suite, book by April: 540++, now cheapest classic room: 480++, just checked, May 2016 classic room cost ˜700++, Club Terrace suite: 1250++. Reward night is not available until end 2015, in 2016 now available only from 01JAN16 till 31MAR16. It becoming not one of most luxury but also most expensive in Viet Nam.
Thank you for the extensive review of this property, I've racked up points to go here in 2016, will also be doing BOGO + 2 reward nights. Sadly for me due to the category change, each reward night now costs 35k points.

-Did you book Terrace Suite or Son Tra Terrace Suite for BOGO ?
-Hows the club value according to you for 160++ Cocktails etc ?
-When you paid for club access, did it come with the upgrade to keep the suite for all 04 nights ? And only have club access on day 3 and 4 ?
-Any tips or pointers for us for this property ? Seeing as you are a regular
Cheers.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by jedicat666
Thank you for the extensive review of this property, I've racked up points to go here in 2016, will also be doing BOGO + 2 reward nights. Sadly for me due to the category change, each reward night now costs 35k points.

-Did you book Terrace Suite or Son Tra Terrace Suite for BOGO ?
-Hows the club value according to you for 160++ Cocktails etc ?
-When you paid for club access, did it come with the upgrade to keep the suite for all 04 nights ? And only have club access on day 3 and 4 ?
-Any tips or pointers for us for this property ? Seeing as you are a regular
Cheers.
- We booked Club Terrace Suite, i didn't understand why they name different, resort is located on Monkey bay, facing the sea, back + left + right surround by Son Tra Peninsular, All suite have very large balcony, so you can see all.

- 190$ net for club worth or not, is depend, i prefer not going out resort on vacation. Free minibar, breakfast, cocktails hour is ok (you can replace dinner), but there are no lunch.
if you are using BOGO is ok, second night is free, technically you pay 190 for club for 02 nights. Buying club for us is ok, because club benefit included free kid's menu, so no trouble, our kids they can eat anywhere & when.
Last year was cost 140++ with same benefits plus airport transfer, 24h menu of sandwiches & canapés definitely better.

- No upgrade on reward night, past time, i refused upgrade to Peninsular Suite on BOGO to keep same Terrace suite all four night. But i think if resort is not full, you chance to get upgrade on BOGO, and then keep this upgraded room for other reward night is high.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 5:28 am
IHG 5+ Badge

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold
- We booked Club Terrace Suite, i didn't understand why they name different, resort is located on Monkey bay, facing the sea, back + left + right surround by Son Tra Peninsular, All suite have very large balcony, so you can see all.

- 190$ net for club worth or not, is depend, i prefer not going out resort on vacation. Free minibar, breakfast, cocktails hour is ok (you can replace dinner), but there are no lunch.
if you are using BOGO is ok, second night is free, technically you pay 190 for club for 02 nights. Buying club for us is ok, because club benefit included free kid's menu, so no trouble, our kids they can eat anywhere & when.
Last year was cost 140++ with same benefits plus airport transfer, 24h menu of sandwiches & canapés definitely better.

- No upgrade on reward night, past time, i refused upgrade to Peninsular Suite on BOGO to keep same Terrace suite all four night. But i think if resort is not full, you chance to get upgrade on BOGO, and then keep this upgraded room for other reward night is high.
According to their room descriptions, Son Tra terrace has a better view than non-son tra. Ill take your advice.
190usd/room/night is a little high for club, and i will not benefit from the kids menu, and from your description, the benefits like airport transfer and 24-hr sandwiches are gone, which are certainly nice benefits. I might just stick to 2 club nights just for the heck of it, more points right :P
Good idea, Ill go during off peak periods for more favourable upgrades !

Last edited by jedicat666; Jun 10, 2015 at 10:48 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.