Community
Wiki Posts
Search

InterContinental Danang Sun Peninsula Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:35 am

Programs: LH HON, Discovery Black, IHG Spire, random stuff at Accor, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Hertz, Sixt
Originally Posted by wanderlustre
Regular 'ol Ambassador status gets an upgrade to the Atrium Suite - totally worth it. My trip report with pics here:

http://theselfishyears.com/2013/02/2...insula-resort/
Very nice review and pictures, though your post seems a bit misleading. It is great that you experienced a nice treatment at the property, but it is not generally the case for regular Ambassador members. Normally the upgrade is to a higher room category only whereas RA gets the Atrium Suite.

You bought AMB status at the property. They then (at many ICs) tend to be more generous, Also the fact that it was a Honeymoon trip (that's at least what the cake tells me ) might have influenced your luck...
Old Mar 4, 2013, 4:19 pm

Programs: SQ
This makes me want to hold off renewing my AMB, since I don't have any planned stays before April here. That would make for a nice upgrade, although the standard rooms seem fine to me...
Old Apr 20, 2013, 1:52 pm

Programs: JMB Sapphire, MPC GO, SPG Gold, HH Gold, PCR Plat Elite
Originally Posted by Flyer2020
Hi all, long time reader, first post.

I am staying at this resort at the moment. For those interested, we are staying in a villa and club benefits are $200 USD ++ per night extra.

Will post a full review once stay complete.

Happy to answer any questions if someone is considering staying here.

Thank you
Hi Flyer2020, as an IC Plat Elite, may I ask which room you booked and whether or not you received and upgrade upon check-in?
Old Apr 21, 2013, 7:48 am

Programs: Miles&More Senator , EX-SPG Platinum now Bonvoy LTP, IC Platinum , Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Look at the latest reports at Priorityclub.com. It looks like there are still construction in place even after offical opening. Somebody told me one pool construction is not fixed and is still not operating. And the contact to the hotel by E-Mail was very poor.

And if I read what the IHG Case Manager is writing as reply to the guests who maybe paid a lot of money, is in my eye sarcastic rubish. E. g. "Though we would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and would love for you to give us an opportunity to make up for your poor experience."

You know what I made IGH - I just cancelled a 8 night paid stay at this location.

I really get mad if I read things like that. I mean this is not a 3 Star low budged location.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
The hotel (and logistics) industries are probably the biggest liers out there. When they say it takes 3 months to open the hotel, expect it to take 6 months
So no surprises here...
Old Jul 2, 2013, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by wanderlustre
Regular 'ol Ambassador status gets an upgrade to the Atrium Suite - totally worth it. My trip report with pics here:

http://theselfishyears.com/2013/02/2...insula-resort/
would be nice if regular ambassador upgrades were to atrium suites but that seems like an ra upgrade....

its possible that i may lose my ra status by the time i stay here in october....can any other ambassadors who have stayed here comment on the upgrades they got????
Old Jul 2, 2013, 7:26 am

Disappointing so far

Just staying there (arrived today). I will post a trip report next week. Upgrade for RA from cheapest room to Atrium Suite.
Hardware is nice, they created a bit of a monster. Service is disappointing. Very unprofessional and slow check in, no explanation of the resort. English skills lacking (the lady checking us in did not even know that there is difference between excluded and included - was almost a hilarious conversation).
They never call back when they promise to.
Seems that they invent their own rules for the minibar (charge for wine and spirits).
Also there is still construction (noise) - they seem to built more buildings on the other side of the beach, and these look like contruction will not be done for several month.
Gift was mentioned in the benefit letter, but none was there. One water bottle in the room was open and half full and several other issues.
If it does not get better we most likely will leave early.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:52 am

For the people who stayed at the resort did you mostly stay on the hotel grounds or did you leave to go to the city? A friend and I are going to Vietnam in January. I was looking at staying here on points. We'd do one or so days of just pure relaxing but also wanted to explore Hoi An and Da Nang a bit. Our concern is the time, hassle, and cost of going to/from the resort. I was curious whether it was practical to stay here if we plan on not spending most of our time on the beach or eating at the restaurants on site.

Was it easy to book taxis to/from the hotel? The resort has their own van/car service but it's extremely expensive (40/60 USD one way). It would soon eat away at the value of staying on points.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by 0geek
For the people who stayed at the resort did you mostly stay on the hotel grounds or did you leave to go to the city? A friend and I are going to Vietnam in January. I was looking at staying here on points. We'd do one or so days of just pure relaxing but also wanted to explore Hoi An and Da Nang a bit. Our concern is the time, hassle, and cost of going to/from the resort. I was curious whether it was practical to stay here if we plan on not spending most of our time on the beach or eating at the restaurants on site.

Was it easy to book taxis to/from the hotel? The resort has their own van/car service but it's extremely expensive (40/60 USD one way). It would soon eat away at the value of staying on points.
I still need to do my trip report. Overall it was a bit disappointing, but for one or two nights it is ok.
They have a free bus (twice daily, if memory is right late morning and then mid afternoon)to Hoi An and Da Nang, which gives you a few hours there. Taxi should be around 20 US$ / 30 min to Da Nang. Nothing in the area, and food at the hotel is less than mediocre and overpriced compared what you can get in local restaurants. There is not much in the immediate area. If you like to get out and have local food for dinner this place is less than ideal. If you are the opposite of a foodie and just want to relax at the beach and don't mind noise and construction around you this place might do it.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Unterwegs
I still need to do my trip report. Overall it was a bit disappointing, but for one or two nights it is ok.
They have a free bus (twice daily, if memory is right late morning and then mid afternoon)to Hoi An and Da Nang, which gives you a few hours there. Taxi should be around 20 US$ / 30 min to Da Nang. Nothing in the area, and food at the hotel is less than mediocre and overpriced compared what you can get in local restaurants. There is not much in the immediate area. If you like to get out and have local food for dinner this place is less than ideal. If you are the opposite of a foodie and just want to relax at the beach and don't mind noise and construction around you this place might do it.
Thanks for the input albeit a little disappointing to hear. I typically don't like the idea of lounging at a resort but towards the end of the vacation I need a day to relax. I'm leaning towards 2 nights.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:30 am

Programs: IC RA, KrisFlyer, Evergreen
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
Sorry to hear about your poor experience at this property. I spent 3 nights here last year and had an overall positive stay, although I did experience the noise from the construction as well as the mediocre service.

I'm headed back to IC Danang next week so hopefully I'll have something nice to report!
Old Aug 20, 2013, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by quitecontrary
I've just been reading the TA reviews and it would appear they do a good Sunday Brunch - ''enjoyed what could be the best value Sunday Brunch anywhere, free flow Taitinger and an amazing selection from the world class Citron restaurant buffet ''. Sounds good.
Please do! Im just a regular ambassador and staying at this property next month for 3 nights
Old Sep 1, 2013, 7:42 am

Reverse upgrade

My wife and I stayed for 5 nights at the end of August. I'm a Platinum Ambassador (not Royal). I'd expected a one category room upgrade, so booked an Atrium Suite expecting an upgrade to a Villa.

When we arrived they apologized that an upgrade was not possible to a Villa due to room availability, but said they would give me a 15% discount on food instead. I was disappointed. I checked on the internet and there was villa availability, so I went back to reception to ask why they said there was no availability. The receptionist spoke to a manager, who came out and explained that it was their policy never to upgrade to villas. I didn't manage to get an answer as to why they told me initially it was an availability thing.

The manager said it was okay, because I would get a 15% discount on food instead of an upgrade. I asked if I would have been upgraded to an Atrium Suite if I had booked the category of room directly below. The manager said yes. I pointed out that my room rate would have been over USD 100 per night less if I'd booked the lower category of room, and that I would need to spend USD 700 per day on food for the discount to be equivalent!

They thought about this, and then agreed to downgrade my reservation one room category (saving USD 102 per night), and then upgrade my room back to the atrium suite. So I ended-up with a rate downgrade rather than a room upgrade. Which from my perspective was an acceptable outcome. Disappointing that they don't do villa upgrades as part of the Ambassador programme.

The resort itself if a fantastic property and definitely has the wow factor. Service is a little mixed, and some things are shambles while they sort out teething issues. For example, they have lost all the fins for their windsurfing boards, and they don't have any sailing dinghys or catamarans because they are still on order.

There's no Club Lounge yet, but that is being built and they estimate it will be completed in 3 months. Construction is still underway in parts of the resort, and you can occasionally hear the noise but it's not too intrusive.

Food and drink prices are very high compared to local standards. And given the location you are a bit of a prisoner, so you will end up having to eat at the hotel most of the time. There are no shops or restaurants nearby: you need to take a 30 min taxi ride (USD 15 - 20) into Danang. Drinks are the most exorbitant: USD 5++ for coke, USD 6++ for juice or beer. The spa pricing is even more outrageous: about USD 125 per hour!
Old Sep 1, 2013, 8:18 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingQuant
My wife and I stayed for 5 nights at the end of August. I'm a Platinum Ambassador (not Royal). I'd expected a one category room upgrade, so booked an Atrium Suite expecting an upgrade to a Villa.

When we arrived they apologized that an upgrade was not possible to a Villa due to room availability, but said they would give me a 15% discount on food instead. I was disappointed. I checked on the internet and there was villa availability, so I went back to reception to ask why they said there was no availability. The receptionist spoke to a manager, who came out and explained that it was their policy never to upgrade to villas. I didn't manage to get an answer as to why they told me initially it was an availability thing.

The manager said it was okay, because I would get a 15% discount on food instead of an upgrade. I asked if I would have been upgraded to an Atrium Suite if I had booked the category of room directly below. The manager said yes. I pointed out that my room rate would have been over USD 100 per night less if I'd booked the lower category of room, and that I would need to spend USD 700 per day on food for the discount to be equivalent!

They thought about this, and then agreed to downgrade my reservation one room category (saving USD 102 per night), and then upgrade my room back to the atrium suite. So I ended-up with a rate downgrade rather than a room upgrade. Which from my perspective was an acceptable outcome. Disappointing that they don't do villa upgrades as part of the Ambassador programme.
Well done you avoided a crafty trap that I am 100% sure that the manager who offered you a measly 15% discount (maybe worth $30/day if you spend $200/day as two of you) on food was very much aware of.
(And manager is also trying to tie you into eating all meals at the hotel with his 15% off, which a rate refund does not )

Where an IC can not (or in this case will not) provide the "Guaranteed Upgrade" the Ambassador program provides, my position and expectation is that the IC must refund the difference in price between booked room , and price of room that would upgrade to booked room.

Having been caught in the act so to speak, I think the manager had no choice but to refund the $100/night. In hindsight the manager may rather have kept your $510 and given you a Villa, but manager could hardly change his stance at that point.

Last edited by scubaccr; Sep 1, 2013 at 8:30 am
Old Oct 1, 2013, 7:39 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
i am looking to stay here over new yrs with the family.
website seems to have max of 3 persons per room -do you think there will be a problem if we all stay in same room?>
(total 5-2 adults and 3kids 5,9,11yrs)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.