Unknown person is using my points for a poor value stay

Old May 28, 2012, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carl Gold, IHG Plat
Unknown person is using my points for a poor value stay

Logged into my PC account yesterday and noticed that 4 sets of 15,000 points per night have been deducted from my account for an award stay in Houston. I KNOW I am NOT in Houston, nor are any friends for whom I have booked a stay. I called up PC and filed a fraud complaint. I was told that the award stay was made by Central Reservations. I assumed it was probably a minor mistake (got the PC number wrong as a result of a typo, etc.) PC told me the name of the guest, who is someone I don't know. I also called the hotel to give them a heads up and they seemed unconcerned -- told me all I could do was file a fraud complaint with PC. Log in again today to learn that I booked a FIFTH night at the same hotel, so another 15K points have come out of my account. Called the hotel again. This time I got someone who seemed on the ball. My biggest concern is that upon checkin, the person requested that all charges be made to "the credit card on file" for the account -- in other words, to my credit card. PC has called the hotel and they have agreed to flag the account so my credit card will NOT be charged, but I think the hotel should require that a credit card be swiped at check in. My biggest complaint is that the interloper is using 15000 of my points per night for a hotel that only costs $99. PC should know I would NEVER do such a thing.

Last edited by iamthehpt; May 28, 2012 at 3:58 pm Reason: add info
Old May 28, 2012, 4:01 pm
Suspended

No they do not know that you would never do such a thing or paying cash $99 insted of using points. You may change your mind occasionally.

But seriously, change your login password and using a different address as well as emails in your profile. So the ID theft could not match the details of your login in details. Also cancel all the redemption reservation.
Old May 28, 2012, 4:03 pm

Programs: IHG Plat; CC Gold
If it is on your account can you not just cancel the bookings, to reduce any potential liability.
Old May 28, 2012, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carl Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by chongcao
No they do not know that you would never do such a thing or paying cash $99 insted of using points. You may change your mind occasionally.

But seriously, change your login password and using a different address as well as emails in your profile. So the ID theft could not match the details of your login in details. Also cancel all the redemption reservation.
My statement that PC should know I wouldn't do such a thing was a joke.

I can't cancel the reservations because they are already complete (except for the one he added today for his stay today/tonight.) The good news is that he is still there, so the hotel can correct the issue.

Thanks for the suggestion on changing password, etc. It's a great idea and I'm going to do it, but I don't think it would have prevented my problem, since the reservations weren't made online, but were made through Central Reservations.
Old May 28, 2012, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Amyrlin
If it is on your account can you not just cancel the bookings, to reduce any potential liability.
Nope, apparently "I" have already checked in for today so I can't cancel the booking.
Old May 28, 2012, 4:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by iamthehpt

Thanks for the suggestion on changing password, etc. It's a great idea and I'm going to do it, but I don't think it would have prevented my problem, since the reservations weren't made online, but were made through Central Reservations.
Wonder if someone went through your trash and got the account info from a discarded statement - though they could have gotten the info online and then called in to book.
Old May 28, 2012, 4:26 pm

I would call the hotel and speak to the manager on duty stressing you need a resolution now.
Old May 28, 2012, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chongcao
But seriously, change your login password and using a different address as well as emails in your profile.
These were GREAT suggestions. It turns out that my email address on file had been changed (which explains why I didn't receive notice of the reservations). I'm still hoping it's a simple mistake (I'm hoping the person at Central Reservations just typed in the wrong PC number and that Central Reservations also changed the email address). But it certainly seems as if something isn't right. How can someone call up Central Reservations and make an award reservation without knowing address, pin, etc?
Old May 28, 2012, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jdtravel
I would call the hotel and speak to the manager on duty stressing you need a resolution now.
Manager is not in today. The front desk called the manager and PC also called the hotel to confirm that there is a flag on the account to charge the interloper the cash rate for all 5 of the nights, as well as for all incidentals and NOT to charge my credit card. The good news is that the person is STILL registered at the hotel. PC tells me that my 75K in points should be back in my account tomorrow after the "guest" checks out.
Old May 28, 2012, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
You should assume the worst. This is very likely identity theft. I'd very strongly consider filing a police report as well to protect yourself in case it goes deeper (you may need it as evidence later).
Old May 28, 2012, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Wonder if someone went through your trash and got the account info from a discarded statement - though they could have gotten the info online and then called in to book.
The reservation was NOT made online but through a call to Central Reservations, but I guess they could have hacked my account and then called in. But if my account was hacked, I would think that they would change my pin when they changed my email so it would have taken me longer to catch the fraud/mistake. Couldn't have gotten the info from the trash because I don't receive mailed statements, just online.
Old May 28, 2012, 4:50 pm

Programs: SQ
Can't something be done here, like having the cops show up and arrest the guy? This is pretty strange, almost funny, but serious - although thankfully it looks like you're covered (hopefully). What kind of guy will book a stay for themselves (obviously they will get caught), but has knowledge of points enough to know they can get a free room by hacking into your account?
Old May 28, 2012, 5:08 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
Did PC say that they were going to take action regarding this, i.e. contact hotel to alert them to contact police, are they going to return your points to you? Does not sound like PC is doing anything to help. Hotel staff seems useless too.
Old May 28, 2012, 5:16 pm

Programs: SPG Plat,MR Plat Spire Plat/IC Amb, Choice Plat, BW Plat
You know some of those links posted on the internet in the past to quiz's/promotions that ask for an acct + pin.....were fake.... and someone could get your acct # + pin and own your acct.

OP Did you ever stay there before ?

If you'd not caught it you could be billed for anything missing in the room or some other criminal act requiring 5 days

The hotel would need to verify identity on check in otherwise they are participating in a fraudulent act. Maybe not accidentally by the hotel....A tip to the Police might be due to make if official.

Another good case for not keeping a credit card on file.
Old May 28, 2012, 5:16 pm

So it's the same guy, booking repeated stays at the same hotel, with stolen info? Seriously, it sounds like a pimp booking rooms for his prostitutes. No joke. I would get the police involved, at minimum for the identity theft, but also for what they may find when they go to the room.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.