Unknown person is using my points for a poor value stay

Old Jun 3, 2012, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Aren't credit cards required at check-in?

If the credit card is not the same/names are different, it might be easy for hotel staff / Priority Club to identify that the guest is not the one who supposed to have made the reservation.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routires, PCR
Originally Posted by nicolas75
In principle, yes, even on a stay paid in advance, and I usually offer my card almost as routine.

Sometimes, though, they say 'we have your details' or similar and I don't need to show the card.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 8:07 am

Programs: IHG Plat; CC Gold
Originally Posted by nicolas75

If the credit card is not the same/names are different, it might be easy for hotel staff / Priority Club to identify that the guest is not the one who supposed to have made the reservation.
Theoretically, but I am rarely asked for it at check in.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by outoftown
I think it originated as an error by the desk clerk. Key to deciding this if the person using your ID has a similar name. If you walk in and give a name, a lookup on my unusual name shows someone in Arizona with the same name. Confirmation using the address should have been done but the desk clerk probably didn't follow through.

Related to this thread, this week someone I do not know is using my PC account on a stay in Mexico. This is the 4th time this has happened at the same hotel this year. I canceled a legitimate PC reservation this week in Indiana so my PC account would not show a overlapping stay (this is what shows if I am staying in two PC properties at the same time). So far they have not used my cc or my points. I monitor my account pretty closely, since I am above 1 million points. Last year, the first time it happened I called PC and complained and they let me keep the points. I figure as long as I am earning points from these stays (>40,000 YTD), why call again? Should I put a stop to this? I was going to use this week's HIX stay for another $50 GC so I will have to wait for another reservation for this, but that is the only problem I see.

-outoftown, staying in Hampton/Marriott this week
Wow.. while earning points from someone else using your PC account sounds great, I can see it ending badly. Like when the person accidentally crediting your account decides he/she wants to use those points they've been earning.. somehow gets a PC rep to "fix" the password for them, and discovers they have over 1m points to burn.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Amyrlin
Theoretically, but I am rarely asked for it at check in.
I am rarely asked for ID, but always for credit card at check-in.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carl Gold, IHG Plat
Update

All my PC points are back in my account.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by iamthehpt
All my PC points are back in my account.
Glad to hear that. However, did you get the explanation from the hotel/PC what actually happened? If it's some sort of mistake, then it's fine. But if it's done on purpose, then it can happen again if no further action is taken.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carl Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Dolphinyong
Glad to hear that. However, did you get the explanation from the hotel/PC what actually happened? If it's some sort of mistake, then it's fine. But if it's done on purpose, then it can happen again if no further action is taken.
No explanations other than those given upthread. Guess I'll never know.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.