Unknown person is using my points for a poor value stay

Old May 28, 2012, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
It could be a genuine error. Lots of people on FT, including me, have had other peoples stays post to their account. I also once had a (cash) booking for someone else show up under My Reservations.
Old May 29, 2012, 1:14 am

Programs: Priority Club
Unknown person is using my points for a poor value stay

If ony he had booked Point Breaks at some ICs, he might have got away with it....Good Value that they are
Old May 29, 2012, 2:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Points Surfer

Apparently your personal information is also stored on the key cards given to
you at hotels. I was told these cards with the magnetic strip have all of your
personal information on them that you gave "at" the front desk .
Can any Hotel lurker confirm exactly what data is on those cards ?
majority hotels I stayed have the seperate key issue system and computer system. That means the key issuing is not in any way linked to computer system which stores your personal information. That is why you rarely see any hotel swipe your card when you check out or put any charge into your room. Because the key card only have the password to open the door and the time of expire, plus when and where it is issued. No name, no telephone number, no address nor email can be found in that key.
Old May 29, 2012, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by bdraco
You should assume the worst. This is very likely identity theft. I'd very strongly consider filing a police report as well to protect yourself in case it goes deeper (you may need it as evidence later).
Unlikely.

Originally Posted by iamthehpt
The reservation was NOT made online but through a call to Central Reservations, but I guess they could have hacked my account and then called in. But if my account was hacked, I would think that they would change my pin when they changed my email so it would have taken me longer to catch the fraud/mistake. Couldn't have gotten the info from the trash because I don't receive mailed statements, just online.
Hopefully just sloppy work at the reservations center by pulling the points from a wrong account, but then who would use 15K for a $99 room? (Probably many)
Old May 29, 2012, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Is 15k for a $99 room really such a bad deal these days? After all, that is $33 per 5k. I would certainly redeem 50k for an IC if the cash alternative was $333, or 35k for a CP if the cash alternative was $231.

Obviously it doesn't make sense buying points using 'cash and points and cancel' at these levels, but they are certainly not appalling redemptions. You could of course argue 'well, if you saved your points for IC Paris then you'd save more than $333' but the reality is that most people do not visit the most premium IC properties in the average year. And as we saw, if you hold and hold your points waiting for a super-value redemption, you are more than likely going to find them devalued instead.
Old May 29, 2012, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Raffles
Is 15k for a $99 room really such a bad deal these days? After all, that is $33 per 5k. I would certainly redeem 50k for an IC if the cash alternative was $333, or 35k for a CP if the cash alternative was $231.
I consider it from the stay credit point of view as well, and how many points I have earned on average for my paid stays etc. It all depends.
Old May 29, 2012, 5:40 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
You are not alone:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...g-my-acct.html

Your situation is probably different than mine, however. Although PC never gave me a name, I am 99.9% certain that my unauthorized user was my ex-wife. I know that because I noticed that the home address listed in my PC account changed to an address located in the town where she lives after an unauthorized reservation was made. This has taken me quite some time, and many phone calls, to resolve. In the end, I have had to change my PC online password, change the phone number I use for my PC account, and even change my PC account number. Changing my PC account number turned out to be a big hassle because it was difficult to get Chase to change the PC account number that my PC Chase VISA points flow into. But I hope I've got it all straightened out now....
Old May 29, 2012, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carl Gold, IHG Plat
Update

Well, something odd is going on. The hotel guest returned to the hotel last night and was advised of the problem. He stated that "someone else" made the reservation for him and the person making the reservation just told him that the reservation was in my name. He went outside to call someone to straighten the matter out. He then returned a few minutes later and told the front desk that he was unable to reach the person who made the reservation for him, so he just paid for the room. 15K points are back in my account, but now I have to follow up with PC because the points back in the account should be 75K, not 15K. I sure hope he was charged for all 5 nights and NOT just the final night (which was a separate last minute reservation). My "honest mistake" theory seems less likely, since the person who made the reservation had to know that the reservation was made from my account since they advised the guest that the reservation was in my name. Looks like its time to follow up with the hotel and with PC again.
Old May 29, 2012, 6:18 am
Suspended

Well, something odd is going on. The hotel guest returned to the hotel last night and was advised of the problem. He stated that "someone else" made the reservation for him and the person making the reservation just told him that the reservation was in my name. He went outside to call someone to straighten the matter out. He then returned a few minutes later and told the front desk that he was unable to reach the person who made the reservation for him, so he just paid for the room. 15K points are back in my account, but now I have to follow up with PC because the points back in the account should be 75K, not 15K. I sure hope he was charged for all 5 nights and NOT just the final night (which was a separate last minute reservation). My "honest mistake" theory seems less likely, since the person who made the reservation had to know that the reservation was made from my account since they advised the guest that the reservation was in my name. Looks like its time to follow up with the hotel and with PC again.
Clearly it is ID theft.
Old May 29, 2012, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chongcao
Clearly it is ID theft.
How come?

Maybe someone just paid for a third party to make a point reservation for him.
Old May 29, 2012, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carl Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by holtju2
How come?

Maybe someone just paid for a third party to make a point reservation for him.
If that were the case, then the 3rd party stole my points.
Old May 29, 2012, 6:35 am

This person should be arrested. Call the cops already.
Old May 29, 2012, 6:37 am

Programs: DL GM and so on
It's time for IHG to realize that a four-digit PIN is far from sufficient.
Old May 29, 2012, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If that were the case, then the 3rd party stole my points.
Could be the case, but the word "Identity Theft" is way too widely abused for commercial purposes.
Old May 29, 2012, 7:18 am

Programs: AA, Delta, NWA,HHonors, Hyatt BF
It's a weasel. Get a stupid police report at least. Cover your hinder.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.