Unknown person is using my points for a poor value stay

Old May 28, 2012, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Points Surfer
You know some of those links posted on the internet in the past to quiz's/promotions that ask for an acct + pin.....were fake.... and someone could get your acct # + pin and own your acct.
i never heard of a fake Priority Club promo, or any other fake points/miles promo. Could you tell us exactly what you are referring to? Or are you just guessing?
Old May 28, 2012, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carl Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tobegold
Did PC say that they were going to take action regarding this, i.e. contact hotel to alert them to contact police, are they going to return your points to you? Does not sound like PC is doing anything to help. Hotel staff seems useless too.
The hotel has been contacted by both me and PC. My points will be returned once the investigation is complete (hopefully tomorrow). I'll let the hotel decide whether or not to contact police, since the hotel is the one harmed. Scary part is that the reason my credit card is the one used for the "temporary hold" is that his was declined when he tried to check in -- and the hold amount was only $25. So, when his CC was declined the hotel asked him if he just wanted to use the credit card on file and he said yes.
Old May 28, 2012, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carl Gold, IHG Plat
[QUOTE=Points Surfer;18656161]OP Did you ever stay there before ?/QUOTE]

Nope, never stayed there.
Old May 28, 2012, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tripice351
So it's the same guy, booking repeated stays at the same hotel, with stolen info? Seriously, it sounds like a pimp booking rooms for his prostitutes. No joke. I would get the police involved, at minimum for the identity theft, but also for what they may find when they go to the room.
He has not been in the room since today's notification and action, but he still has items in the room. The hotel has changed the locks so he must go to the front desk when he returns. It ought to be interesting. The hotel will charge him the full amount of the stay unless he coughs up a valid PC account number. Of course, if his credit card was declined for a $25 charge, I don't imagine it can be used for a $500 charge.

Of course, this COULD be an honest mistake. He MIGHT have called Central Reservations to make an award booking and given his PC number incorrectly (or Central Reservations typed it in wrong) and they MIGHT not have bothered to verify any other information. He might also have changed MY email at that time because he has gotten an new email address. Of course, my honest mistake theory MIGHT be wishful thinking.
Old May 28, 2012, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

To add insult to injury, the hotel upgraded him, based on MY platinum status.
Old May 28, 2012, 5:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by iamthehpt
To add insult to injury, the hotel upgraded him, based on MY platinum status.
Ha! That will just cost him more when he has to pay cash for the room!
Old May 28, 2012, 5:54 pm

Thumbs up

Glad PC is making this right and good reason to check our account constantly.
Old May 28, 2012, 6:15 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Why would the hotel change the locks? They just need to deactivate the key card.
Old May 28, 2012, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
Why would the hotel change the locks? They just need to deactivate the key card.
I'm sure that's what the hotel clerk meant by "changing the locks."
Old May 28, 2012, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by iamthehpt
He has not been in the room since today's notification and action
I wonder if he's reading this thread...
Old May 28, 2012, 6:59 pm

Programs: SPG Plat,MR Plat Spire Plat/IC Amb, Choice Plat, BW Plat
Originally Posted by tripice351
i never heard of a fake Priority Club promo, or any other fake points/miles promo. Could you tell us exactly what you are referring to? Or are you just guessing?
Didn't say PCR but its not beyond possibility for a fake survey to be floated around for say 1000+ pts ...requiring an acct # + pin like some pcr surveys did occassionally...not everything is veted on FT. I'd googled promo's , surveys before and thought asking for a pin was suspect but some people may take a chance. But I guess all someone needs is your Password/PCR account number from a key logger at a hotel computer or elsewhere to do the same thing.

Two I can think of at the moment about phishing sites was HiltonHonors, Lufthansa, marriott had a problem at one time, so did others I'd imagine.

http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/...ofing/index.do
http://www.miles-and-more.com/online...l=en&cid=18002

Apparently your personal information is also stored on the key cards given to
you at hotels. I was told these cards with the magnetic strip have all of your
personal information on them that you gave "at" the front desk .
Can any Hotel lurker confirm exactly what data is on those cards ?
Old May 28, 2012, 7:30 pm

Programs: PC: Platinum, DL: PM, National: Exec
Originally Posted by Points Surfer

Apparently your personal information is also stored on the key cards given to
you at hotels. I was told these cards with the magnetic strip have all of your
personal information on them that you gave "at" the front desk .
Can any Hotel lurker confirm exactly what data is on those cards ?
It is not hard to search google when you hear of such rumors...

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/hotelkey.asp

And yes, it is only a rumor, not fact.
Old May 28, 2012, 10:05 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
so did the guy come back?
Old May 28, 2012, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA *G; Delta Diamond; AA EXP; Marriott LT Plat; Hyatt Globalist
I'm also very curious about what happened with this.
Old May 28, 2012, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, NWA,HHonors, Hyatt BF
Awhile back during a PC promotion there was a glitch and I had access to somebody elses account, it automatically signed me right in and I could have booked plenty of nights for myself on someone elses account - and he had way more points than me.

I notified PC.

In this case though, it wasn't me

I'm also follwing this story, I suspect a weasel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.