HI Hong Kong (HKG) Golden Mile Master Thread

Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:59 am

Airport Transportation to HI HKG

Mature couple arriving at HKG Airport in early morning (with luggage). Having never been to HKG, would appreciate your opinion on how to get to the HI HKG. Train + shuttle sounds cheapest and fastest (but will have 2 heavy suitcases). Taxi obviously easiest, but is cost reasonable? Love to hear from you experienced HKG travelers!
Old Sep 13, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by pjack
Mature couple arriving at HKG Airport in early morning (with luggage). Having never been to HKG, would appreciate your opinion on how to get to the HI HKG. Train + shuttle sounds cheapest and fastest (but will have 2 heavy suitcases). Taxi obviously easiest, but is cost reasonable? Love to hear from you experienced HKG travelers!
If you are comfortable lifting the luggage to get it on the shuttle then that is the cheapest particularly if you find a decent promotion on Airport Express tickets, the shuttle stops right at the hotel entrance. I personally find Taxi reasonable in cost for such a distance, maybe in the 250HKD range? The city bus for this location is really good also if you want the cheapest option.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 10:53 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Train + shuttle sounds cheapest and fastest (but will have 2 heavy suitcases).
Train is probably fastest, but definitely not cheapest. A21 bus is under a third the price and has a stop right near the hotel, so no need for multiple forms of transport. (And the buses have wifi.)
Old Sep 14, 2018, 12:26 am

I recommend the train. Train station is closer to the custom exit than bus and taxi. You can take the luggage trolley right up to the train and just need to lift the luggage from the trolley into the train.
At Kowloon station there are also luggage trolleys just in front of the train door. Take it to the shuttle bus stop, lift it on the bus. At the hotel the bellboys will help you taking the luggage out of the bus.
Easy, quick, convenient.
Buy your train ticket either at the boot at the departure platform (special price for two people, i believe it is 170 HK, they take credit cards) when you have enough time before train departure (every approx 10 min), if not enough time just board the train and buy ticket at the arrival station (same price there).

On the way back just board the shuttle bus at the hotel, buy the ticket at kowloon station and check in at the train station. Take the train and at the airport just go directly to the gate or lounge.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
I often stay at Golden Mile while attending trade fairs at AsiaWorld (the convention center at the airport). So daily I am going roundtrip from the hotel to the airport and back. Always via the airport express. And I will mostly take a taxi. I've tried the shuttle a few times, but I grow impatient at all the stops it makes between the station and the hotel.

Because it's low cost, I really don't pay much attention. A taxi might be 50-60 HKD. Maybe a little more with bags... certainly under 100HKD... or about $13 USD. The shuttle, of course, is cheaper.

The worst part is waiting for the taxi at Kowloon. When you get off the train you'll bear left to queue for the taxis, and it can often be upwards of a 30 minute wait. (If the line is long, then I will take the shuttle.)
Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang
I often stay at Golden Mile while attending trade fairs at AsiaWorld (the convention center at the airport). So daily I am going roundtrip from the hotel to the airport and back. Always via the airport express. And I will mostly take a taxi. I've tried the shuttle a few times, but I grow impatient at all the stops it makes between the station and the hotel.

Because it's low cost, I really don't pay much attention. A taxi might be 50-60 HKD. Maybe a little more with bags... certainly under 100HKD... or about $13 USD. The shuttle, of course, is cheaper.

The worst part is waiting for the taxi at Kowloon. When you get off the train you'll bear left to queue for the taxis, and it can often be upwards of a 30 minute wait. (If the line is long, then I will take the shuttle.)
You do make some good points but the shuttle is free. For one person, the Airport Express and tax is fine but for two.....I just take a taxi the whole way as the price is about the same. I change it up all the time based on my mood though, last time I did A21 bus to the hotel and then used Klook for a cheap ticket for us back to the airport.

I don't think there is a wrong answer between the three options though, just personal preference.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 11:33 am

From all your comments, it appears that a taxi from the airport to the hotel is within $10USD of the train combo (for two people). After a 16 hr flight and breakfast at the CX lounge, if I am right about the cost difference, its a "no brainer"..........a taxi for sure. Tell me if I'm off base!
Old Sep 15, 2018, 3:15 pm

From all your comments, it appears that a taxi from the airport to the hotel is within $10USD of the train combo (for two people). After a 16 hr flight and breakfast at the CX lounge, if I am right about the cost difference, its a "no brainer"..........a taxi for sure. Tell me if I'm off base!
Yep, I would say that is about right. That is why I say there is no right answer as every situation and person is a little different. Sometimes the taxi line can by long but it usually moves quick. https://www.hongkongairport.com/en/t...ort/taxis.page
Old Sep 15, 2018, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by mcgahat
Yep, I would say that is about right. That is why I say there is no right answer as every situation and person is a little different. Sometimes the taxi line can by long but it usually moves quick. https://www.hongkongairport.com/en/t...ort/taxis.page
I believe Gongzuokuang meant taking a Taxi from Kowloon Station. That should be around 60-80 HKD depending on the amount of luggage.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Unterwegs
I believe Gongzuokuang meant taking a Taxi from Kowloon Station. That should be around 60-80 HKD depending on the amount of luggage.
Yes, they did mean taking a taxi from Kowloon station. I was making the point that for two people, the price difference isn't that much from just taking a taxi from airport to hotel.
FlyerTalker688786 likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 11:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mcgahat
Yes, they did mean taking a taxi from Kowloon station. I was making the point that for two people, the price difference isn't that much from just taking a taxi from airport to hotel.
Yes that is about right. Express train HKD$100 per person (or somewhere similar, can not remember exact) plus $70 to hotel from Kowloon station. So that is $270 minimum. Taxi is likely to be around HKD$280-350. There is Uber too. Good point.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 12:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kremmen
Train is probably fastest, but definitely not cheapest. A21 bus is under a third the price and has a stop right near the hotel, so no need for multiple forms of transport. (And the buses have wifi.)
Actually buying a round-trip bus tkt is even cheaper

That said if I was the OP I wouldnt take the bus with 2 very heavy bags since theres little room for them on heh bus and if very heavy who will pick them up to put on the shelf.

Of cause I will be on the A21 end of Oct overnighting and using my IHG cert for the ICHK, its the only way I travel to/from the airport
Old Sep 16, 2018, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by craz
Actually buying a round-trip bus tkt is even cheaper

That said if I was the OP I wouldnt take the bus with 2 very heavy bags since theres little room for them on heh bus and if very heavy who will pick them up to put on the shelf.
there's a roundtrip bus ticket across multiple days?

if you're buying a single ticket to the main airport express stops, klook is cheap... if you have a late flight leaving hkg, you may be able to use intown checkin and dont need to carry it to the airport

but nothing beats the bus in terms of price and convenience (though it may take longer and stops more)

you have to hoist the bag up the bus (pretty low floor), and place it on the bottom luggage rack (raise it above the bottom bar). wait for the next bus if it's crowded

trying to find a better video:
(4:30: move bag up to bus)

(5:00: move bag onto the luggage rack, bottom part filled first)

(cctv at 0:58)

Last edited by paperwastage; Sep 16, 2018 at 4:16 pm
Old Sep 16, 2018, 4:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by paperwastage
there's a roundtrip bus ticket across multiple days?

if you're buying a single ticket to the main airport express stops, klook is cheap... if you have a late flight leaving hkg, you may be able to use intown checkin and dont need to carry it to the airport

but nothing beats the bus in terms of price and convenience (though it may take longer and stops more)

you have to hoist the bag up the bus (pretty low floor), and place it on the bottom luggage rack (raise it above the bottom bar). wait for the next bus if it's crowded

trying to find a better video:
https://youtu.be/CUjKhwSxWOE?t=4m30s (4:30: move bag up to bus)

https://youtu.be/CUjKhwSxWOE?t=5m (5:00: move bag onto the luggage rack, bottom part filled first)

https://youtu.be/pPeNyas_Gkg?t=0m58s (cctv at 0:58)
the last couple of yrs Ive been overnighting at The Marriott @ HKG. But before that I purchased a r/t was cheaper then 2 1 ways and at times used the return a week later. Dont know if that is still in affect but Id assume it is and hopefully what I will bne doing end of Oct when Im in for 1 night with a 7pm flight out the next day. Plus I was able to purvchase it with a CC at the bus office window and didnt have to worry about having lose change to pay for my return tkt

id say on avg it takes an hour but I enjoy the ride and views
Old Sep 16, 2018, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by craz
the last couple of yrs Ive been overnighting at The Marriott @ HKG. But before that I purchased a r/t was cheaper then 2 1 ways and at times used the return a week later. Dont know if that is still in affect but Id assume it is and hopefully what I will bne doing end of Oct when Im in for 1 night with a 7pm flight out the next day. Plus I was able to purvchase it with a CC at the bus office window and didnt have to worry about having lose change to pay for my return tkt

id say on avg it takes an hour but I enjoy the ride and views
oh, i was thinking about the halfprice return on octopus

there is a prepaid return. 55 (valid 3 months) vs 33 each way

Cityflyer Pre-paid Return Ticket

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.