Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by paperwastage
oh, i was thinking about the halfprice return on octopus

there is a prepaid return. 55 (valid 3 months) vs 33 each way

Cityflyer Pre-paid Return Ticket
Octopus is same day return free dooded on the same device.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craz
Actually buying a round-trip bus tkt is even cheaper

That said if I was the OP I wouldnt take the bus with 2 very heavy bags since theres little room for them on heh bus and if very heavy who will pick them up to put on the shelf.

Of cause I will be on the A21 end of Oct overnighting and using my IHG cert for the ICHK, its the only way I travel to/from the airport
Wonder how many of the guest at IC HK bus in from HKIA?
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:11 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by tentseller
More than you think.....
Old Sep 16, 2018, 9:32 pm
Suspended

I dont care if Im the only one! 1better, they got to know me very well since it took awhile till they got used to not opening the door for me, thats right not only there but any hotel, I dont appreciate the door being opened for me when Im perfectly capable of doing it myself.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:24 am

(slightly off topic)

I took the a21 to ICHK

Two other people got off stop (but they walked north). I took the mrt underpass (elevators available) to cross the road and reach ICHK. Slightly long walk, driveway is uphill

Anyone know why the airport express shuttle doesn't go to ICHK? It goes to HI GM, ICGS, but not ICHK. Closest is the mtr easy tsim Sha tsui stop
Old Jul 25, 2019, 3:20 pm
dk9

Any recent experiences here?

I can see that lately their cheapest room rate is the same rate as the IC Grand Stanford and at certain dates they were even more expensive! I think it would be justified if they treated Elites well.

Did you get any nice upgrades or club access with Spire?
Old Jul 25, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: QF Plat, IHG RA, Marriott Plat
I’ve almost always been upgraded to an Executive Club room, but without club access.

Last edited by DonPedro; Jul 25, 2019 at 7:38 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jul 25, 2019, 9:10 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Lucky you. I had a 3 day stay last year and all I got was the same basic room as booked and the Spire points & F&B credit (120HKD?). Overall okay as I needed the brand / nights for an Accelerate target, but a drab room.

At similar rates I would go with the IC GS in a heart beat. I got other niggles with them, but hardware is better in my book. YMMV
Old Jul 25, 2019, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Me, for example
Old Jul 28, 2019, 3:18 pm
dk9

Originally Posted by demue
Lucky you. I had a 3 day stay last year and all I got was the same basic room as booked and the Spire points & F&B credit (120HKD?). Overall okay as I needed the brand / nights for an Accelerate target, but a drab room.

At similar rates I would go with the IC GS in a heart beat. I got other niggles with them, but hardware is better in my book. YMMV
oh wow that's bad.

So worst case, I will get the same room I booked and best case an upgraded room without club access. I guess I won't be booking with them then!
Old Jul 29, 2019, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by dk9
oh wow that's bad.

So worst case, I will get the same room I booked and best case an upgraded room without club access. I guess I won't be booking with them then!
A few month back as Spire only a nicer room with view to a trashy building next door and no club access. The location of the HI is better, but the GS is much nicer.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:05 am
dk9

So I contacted the hotel and this is their response:

Kindly to inform you that we do provide some benefits for IHG Spire Member, e.g. complimentary room upgrade to the next category (subject to availability), extended check out until 2pm upon request (subject to availability), priority check in, etc. For more details, please visit https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/cont.../enjoy-rewards for more information. Thank you.

So long story short, it's also confirmed from the hotel that they don't provide anything special for spire members besides what is predicted by the IHG program.

Crowne Plaza Causeway Bay/Kowloon East or Intercontinental seem to be the no brainer choice unless someone must be in Tsim Sham Tsui..
Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dk9
So I contacted the hotel and this is their response:

Kindly to inform you that we do provide some benefits for IHG Spire Member, e.g. complimentary room upgrade to the next category (subject to availability), extended check out until 2pm upon request (subject to availability), priority check in, etc. For more details, please visit https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/cont.../enjoy-rewards for more information. Thank you.

So long story short, it's also confirmed from the hotel that they don't provide anything special for spire members besides what is predicted by the IHG program.

Crowne Plaza Causeway Bay/Kowloon East or Intercontinental seem to be the no brainer choice unless someone must be in Tsim Sham Tsui..
That is because Nathan Rd will always be Nathan Rd.

I agree that IC GS is a better value a bit off the main strip.

CP CWB is also worth considering.

CP Kowloon East is very very East of Kowloon. It is in TKO, Google the location and figure out how you will get around before committing.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 3:42 pm
dk9

That is because Nathan Rd will always be Nathan Rd.

I agree that IC GS is a better value a bit off the main strip.

CP CWB is also worth considering.

CP Kowloon East is very very East of Kowloon. It is in TKO, Google the location and figure out how you will get around before committing.
Kowloon east is very far indeed but the price also is very cheap and with the spire benefits even better value.

CWB is the best location out of all.

What's special about Nathan road? If you are a tourist yes, but I don't know anybody on business or any local that would think that area is good.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Crowne Plaza Causeway bay is much nicer. IC GS is much nicer.

I've stayed as a Spire at all three.

You generally get an upgrade at Holiday Inn Golden Mile. But the upgrades are really not much different. To me it basically seems like nothing more a change in the color scheme of the room! LOL! I get free breakfast when I stay. I asked once if it was because of Spire, and they told me it was because I was a repeat guest. I don't know if it is repeats within a certain timeframe; I haven't stayed in a while because I find CP and IC GP to be a better value. And the area drives me crazy with the hawkers: "Need a shirt? A Suit? Copy Watch? Something "special"? Girls?" They don't badger you when you say no... but there are a thousand hawkers there that ask the same questions.

IC GS gives a room upgrade; never been denied. It's a classy place, and the water view is great. Nice to run along the promenade. Reasonable walking distance to food and watering holes. I don't care about shopping.

CP is a nice place, especially if you get the racetrack view. I usually book one room below that and get upgraded almost every time. They have a GREAT plan for Spire members: You get free drinks and a MENU of appetisers from the rooftop bar... really nice. And free breakfast. Best treatment for Spires out of the lot.

(As a side note, I've stayed at the HIX Causeway Bay. Never again.)

I grow weary of the long walk to the MTR from the Crowne Plaza... but it's also a long walk for IC Grand Stafford. HI Golden Mile is a shorter walk... except for the hundred stairs!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.