Crowne Plaza The Hamilton - Washingtin D.C. (Master Thread)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 30, 17, 11:42 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Wiki Link
Crowne Plaza The Hamilton

Address
Crowne Plaza The Hamilton
1001 14th St NW, Washington DC 20005

Tel +1 202 682-0111

Link to hotel
http://www.ihg.com/crowneplaza/hotel...ks/hoteldetail

Location
Google Maps

Public transportation
closest subway station McPherson Suare served by Blue Line, Orange Line and Silver Line.
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Aug 13, 16, 7:24 am
  #31  
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: BOS
Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Posts: 3,952
Also Looking for Some Recent Reviews & Experiences

Interested in elite recognition, water pressure, and overall thoughts about the hotel & experience?
jetsetter is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 17, 7:47 am
  #32  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Programs: Trans Global Airlines Frequent Stowaway
Posts: 59
Looks like the hotel has been deflagged
RuthlesslyAbsurd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 17, 2:35 pm
  #33  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum (3 Million Miler), IHG Spire Royal Amdassador
Posts: 134
Originally Posted by RuthlesslyAbsurd View Post
Looks like the hotel has been deflagged
I'm sure this is a term I should know, but what does it mean? Asking because if I can't get into IC Willard, will stay here
VaBeachGirl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 17, 2:46 pm
  #34  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 87,690
Originally Posted by VaBeachGirl View Post
I'm sure this is a term I should know, but what does it mean? Asking because if I can't get into IC Willard, will stay here
It means the hotel is no longer affiliated with the hotel brand/brand management company with which it was previously affiliated. A Crowne Plaza no longer being a Crowne Plaza and instead ending up an independent hotel or as a hotel affiliated with a different company.
GUWonder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 17, 10:16 pm
  #35  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Programs: Trans Global Airlines Frequent Stowaway
Posts: 59
Accurate. I learned today that my reservation at the CP was no longer valid, for the CP is no longer a CP. And I learned myself, btw -- no one contacted me
RuthlesslyAbsurd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 17, 12:19 pm
  #36  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MAN
Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Posts: 1,329
This is concerning, I assume it means my upcoming 3-night redemption is in peril, yet no contact from IHG at all. Looks like I need to call IHG to see how to resolve this. It seems to have come out of the blue. Anyone know why it's deflagged?
BrightlyBob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 17, 6:12 pm
  #37  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 11,333
Originally Posted by BrightlyBob View Post
This is concerning, I assume it means my upcoming 3-night redemption is in peril, yet no contact from IHG at all. Looks like I need to call IHG to see how to resolve this. It seems to have come out of the blue. Anyone know why it's deflagged?
The hotel might just want to try to see how well it does on its own and save the IHG franchise fees.

IHG handles reward night reservations at hotels that leave the chain in varying manners, probably according to individual negotiations. Sometimes, reservations remain intact (with the hotel billing IHG for your reward stay). Sometimes, the reward nights are cancelled. I have had success in getting IHG to provide a same cost redemption at another local hotel (i.e., rebooking at another property on points and providing a courtesy point credit to make up the difference).
soitgoes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 17, 4:51 am
  #38  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MAN
Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Posts: 1,329
Originally Posted by soitgoes View Post
The hotel might just want to try to see how well it does on its own and save the IHG franchise fees.

IHG handles reward night reservations at hotels that leave the chain in varying manners, probably according to individual negotiations. Sometimes, reservations remain intact (with the hotel billing IHG for your reward stay). Sometimes, the reward nights are cancelled. I have had success in getting IHG to provide a same cost redemption at another local hotel (i.e., rebooking at another property on points and providing a courtesy point credit to make up the difference).
Well that could make for an interesting discussion! The nearest IHG property to the Hamilton is the Willard So I can have a go at transferring my 35k/nt CP to the 60k/nt IC! Gotta be worth a punt!

Now this has only just happened, so how do you think I should approach this? I call them now or nearer the time. Obviously if they contact me a few days before the reservation (which is next year!), I'll have more leverage, so do I wait it out, or call now whilst I have the "you knew about it and didn't tell me" position. I ask you, as this has happened to you before (more than once it seems, but it's never happened to me in 10 years as Marriott Gold/Plat and 8 years as IHG Plat/Spire, so it's new ground...
BrightlyBob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 17, 8:35 am
  #39  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: IHG Spire, BW Diamond Select, Wyndham Gold
Posts: 99
If you're staying next year, you might consider the new IC at District Wharf, which will be open by then. It'll overlook the Potomac and be surrounded by a ton of restaurants. I live in the neighborhood, which is quite close to downtown.
aces is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 17, 2:28 pm
  #40  
dw
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: New York, NY
Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Spire Amb/Kimpton IC
Posts: 4,467
Originally Posted by BrightlyBob View Post
Well that could make for an interesting discussion! The nearest IHG property to the Hamilton is the Willard So I can have a go at transferring my 35k/nt CP to the 60k/nt IC! Gotta be worth a punt!
Unfortunately there is also a Holiday Inn (DC Central/White House) that's about equidistant, so I beware if they try and move you there.
dw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 17, 4:42 pm
  #41  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 11,333
Originally Posted by BrightlyBob View Post
Now this has only just happened, so how do you think I should approach this? I call them now or nearer the time. Obviously if they contact me a few days before the reservation (which is next year!), I'll have more leverage, so do I wait it out, or call now whilst I have the "you knew about it and didn't tell me" position. I ask you, as this has happened to you before (more than once it seems, but it's never happened to me in 10 years as Marriott Gold/Plat and 8 years as IHG Plat/Spire, so it's new ground...
Yes, it has happened to me two or three times, but not since ca. 2012 with IHG (happened 2014 with Club Carlson; in that case, the reservation was honored). There was a lot of rebranding going on during the economic downturn.

I would write to IHG and simply ask them for assurances your reservation would be honored as booked.
SoCaltravel likes this.
soitgoes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 17, 5:04 pm
  #42  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MAN
Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Posts: 1,329
Originally Posted by dw View Post
Unfortunately there is also a Holiday Inn (DC Central/White House) that's about equidistant, so I beware if they try and move you there.
Yes, I'm well aware of that property, stayed there a couple of years ago travelling with the 4-teenagers on an East coast road-trip. I offered the kids the choice between the Hamilton and the HI White House, and they chose the HI for the rooftop pool. The hotel was a bit battered and worn but the rooftop pool delivered. This time I'm on my own, and the Hamilton was cheaper on points than the HI...
BrightlyBob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 17, 5:06 pm
  #43  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MAN
Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Posts: 1,329
Originally Posted by soitgoes View Post
Yes, it has happened to me two or three times, but not since ca. 2012 with IHG (happened 2014 with Club Carlson; in that case, the reservation was honored). There was a lot of rebranding going on during the economic downturn.

I would write to IHG and simply ask them for assurances your reservation would be honored as booked.
Yes, I think that's a good approach, thanks.
BrightlyBob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 17, 9:49 pm
  #44  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: SRQ
Posts: 154
As one of our valued IHG Reward Club members, we are writing you regarding your upcoming reservation for the Crowne Plaza The Hamilton Washington DC. We wanted to take the time to inform you that the hotel is no longer part of the IHG family of hotels. I would like to apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause you.

The hotel has assured us they will still be able to honor your reservation. Unfortunately, they will be unable to offer IHG Reward Club benefits, points, or credit for the stay. If you have any questions or would like to cancel your reservation, you may contact the hotel directly. The phone number for the hotel is (202) 682-0111. If you prefer to stay with another IHG property where you can enjoy all the benefits of the IHG Rewards Club program, we invite you to visit our website to book alternate accommodations at www.ihg.com.
Totally unacceptable. I have a reservation starting in just 4 days and I have just received the above. It was only 4 weeks ago that I booked this stay (via IHG) on an IHG Member rate (prepaid), and I have even traded emails with the hotel concierge directly since to confirm my Platinum Elite status and benefits. How is it possible that no warning or notice was given to let me know that they would be leaving the group?

And this will also kill my goals in as far as my Accellerate promotion, throwing things way off.

Anyone have any ideas for recourse? My loss really is my standard points and expected benefits, as well as the promotion loss. There is a conference in town and understand that everything is well booked up across town, so rebooking will be difficult.

Thanks.

Last edited by Lennys26v2; Sep 18, 17 at 10:01 pm
Lennys26v2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 17, 5:25 am
  #45  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Programs: Trans Global Airlines Frequent Stowaway
Posts: 59
Originally Posted by Lennys26v2 View Post

And this will also kill my goals in as far as my Accellerate promotion, throwing things way off.
Same here. I switched for this reason to the CP Alexandria. It's across the river, but with the Metro and Uber and the $60 I'm saving on the rate, I'll make it work
RuthlesslyAbsurd is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread