Wiki Posts
Search

Crowne Plaza returns to downtown Detroit

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2012, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Platinum: Delta, Starwood, Priority Club. Hyatt-Diamond, TA
Crowne Plaza returns to downtown Detroit

The 25-story, 413 room Hotel Pontchartrain that once was an upscale landmark has a new owner who plans to renovate it as a Crowne Plaza hotel, an attorney who brokered the deal said Monday.

Expect room rates to be somewhere in the $110 to $150 range, he said.

The Detroit location last operated as the Detroit Riverside Hotel and struggled for years under different names. The hotel was shut down in July 2009 when the air conditioning system failed.

Built in 1965, the glass and steel structure was once a luxury landmark. During its heyday as the Hotel Pontchartrain, a view from "the top of the Pontch" made it a popular destination for partiers.

The hotel's location has historical significance because the original Fort Pontchartrain was established near it.

Now the planned hotel's location on Washington Boulevard across from the renovated Cobo Center may give it an advantage.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
See: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18324374-post691.html
Old Aug 12, 2013, 3:14 pm

Has anyone stayed here since they re-opened? I've got a reservation for August 31. I've read a few so-so to bad reviews on TripAdvisor but I think they were from people who stayed during their soft opening in June or July.

I used to work in Detroit a few blocks away from this hotel about thirty or so years ago when it was the Pontchartrain and was considered one of the top three hotels in Detroit. Sure don't want to be disappointed.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by walker46
Has anyone stayed here since they re-opened? I've got a reservation for August 31. I've read a few so-so to bad reviews on TripAdvisor but I think they were from people who stayed during their soft opening in June or July.

I used to work in Detroit a few blocks away from this hotel about thirty or so years ago when it was the Pontchartrain and was considered one of the top three hotels in Detroit. Sure don't want to be disappointed.
ANYBODY stayed there? ANYBODY? My trip is this week-end. My wife and I thought we'd visit the excellent Detroit Art Institute one last time before the bankruptcy judge sells off billions of dollars worth of art.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I've stayed here a couple of times, including this past weekend.

It's mostly a convention hotel, as it's right across the street from Detroit's convention center, Cobo Hall. It used to have an acclaimed chef at the restaurant on the top floor with the best views of Detroit, but they had problems.

The lobby bar and restaurant, which previously were secondary to the top floor restaurant, have been closed for a while. Now, both spaces are being renovated for another acclaimed Detroit-area chef and is supposed to re-open later this summer.

Service is inconsistent. I was upgraded, as I've been in the past, as an IHG platinum guest. That's a surprise as IHG is pretty weak as a program.

Amazing views, but the hotel has never coated the windows for the privacy of guests. Because of the architecture and lack of coating, you can see into several rooms on each side and below. This is really, really bad. The management has told me for a couple of years they would at least put a card in the room letting guests know to draw the blinds for their privacy, but they've never done so. Let's just say you better like nudity if you stay here.

Bathrooms are tiny but have the good Temple Spa products.

Furnishings are a little tired and worn-down despite the hotel only being open for about 4-5 years now. I'm guessing this is because of the high turnover rate.

The lounge used to be great. One of the few Crowne Plaza lounges with complimentary access for platinum guests on paid and award stays. Now the lounge is useless except to raid for free soda pop or bottled water. The hotel no longer serves food -- breakfast, evening snacks, desserts -- or complimentary wine/cocktails in it. Platinum guests do, however, get a coupon for a free drink in the bar, which has been relocated to the old top floor restaurant that has been closed since the aforementioned restaurant issue. The space is now only used for banquets, which is a travesty because it has the best views of any hotel in Detroit. Breakfast is also served up there -- buffet or off the menu -- but the breakfast is pretty weak and isn't included, even for guests with lounge access.

This hotel does not provide late checkouts whatsoever.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: NZ *E
I had booked here for next week but getting a little nervous seeing all the mentions of bed bugs in TripAdvisor reviews!

Thinking perhaps I'm better at a Holiday Inn in the suburbs
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:30 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by samjnz
I had booked here for next week but getting a little nervous seeing all the mentions of bed bugs in TripAdvisor reviews!

I wouldn't stay here. It's gone down hill big time. Last I heard, they were also having problems because there was talk of unionizing the staff.

Do you have to stay at an IHG property?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
Originally Posted by samjnz

I can't speak to the potential for bed bugs, but I have had nothing but good experiences at this location. The rooms are a bit dated, but clean and fairly large. I consistently get upgraded as a Spire, and get free drinks and breakfast coupons for all members traveling with me, including validated parking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.