FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   Trip report - Paris/Republique. Nice! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/133018-trip-report-paris-republique-nice.html)

shinbal Sep 13, 2003 6:52 am

Trip report - Paris/Republique. Nice!

I also made a similar post in the travel/Paris forum, but thought I'd post here as well in case someone was looking.

Some Paris enthusiasts scoffed at us for picking a Holiday Inn in Paris - but two factors influenced our decision. One, we were comfortable with a brand, and didn't get solid suggestions from anyone on a boutique hotel unique to Paris. Second, it was free, since we had Priority Club award points to use. WE ARE VERY GLAD WE STAYED AT THIS HOTEL.

We were upgraded to an executive on arrival. All we did was ask. No attitude, no looks of, "you must be crazy" - just an investigation of rooms available, a smile, and a "yes, we can do that". Room was large by Paris standards, and very comfortable, with a king-size bed. Small TV, but lots of channels, a very deep bathtub with removable shower head, nice bath amenities, and separate toilet room. Housekeeping was friendly and reliable, and very quick. I can honestly say that every need we had was met quickly and with a smile.

The service at this hotel was way above what I was expecting. The staff was very, very friendly. I tried to use French as much as I could, and they were DELIGHTED that I was trying. But the staff happily helped me in English too. Bruno, the concierge, was 100% on in every suggestion, and couldn't have been friedlier and more helpful.

We did not eat in the hotel restaurant because - well, it IS Paris after all...so we essentially found our food elsewhere, including the amazing neighborhood patisseries.

The greatest part about this hotel, though, was the metro. Literally 20 steps outside the front door, at the Republique station, are 5 lines of the Metro. With a Paris Visite pass, we got everywhere we needed to go in minutes and rarely (only when out after 1AM) used a cab.

I know there are many more glamorous places to stay in Paris, but for the newbies, like us, it really helped us enjoy our vacation more. I would stay there again, and the rates for paid stays are part of the reason . I found it very reasonable. Yikes, now I really miss Paris!

Standby4321 Sep 13, 2003 3:39 pm

Thanks for the great report. We usually stay at an independent hotel near Place de la Nation, but I have looked at the Paris Republique as a possibility and it's great to see such a nice review. Merci beaucoup!

felis Sep 14, 2003 2:28 pm

THnak you. Good to hear that some hotels downtown paris are good.

I often see it when jogging, but newer knew if I could indicate it to friends of mine

Lori Ann Sep 16, 2003 12:19 pm

The Holiday Inn Republique is very nice indeed!

Lori Ann Sep 16, 2003 12:24 pm

Sorry, I hit send before finishing up. The Holiday Inn Republique is a very nice hotel. We were there in April and were very pleased. We were upgraded without asking (lovely room, facing inner courtyard--very quiet). Room was decent size with very modern bathroom & separate w/c. The entire staff was delightful, including Bruno!! We speak French but everyone was very happy speaking English to us as well. The maid service was very good too. We had the buffet breakfast included in our rate and it was fine, certainly enough food to get us going for the day. The dining room had a good sized no smoking area which is important to us. We've been to Paris about 15 times and have stayed in many hotels, this H.I. was a very pleasant surprise. Incidentally, it is in a historical bldg. and looks like a chateau from the outside. The 5 Metro lines practically at your doorstep is very convenient too. The Plaza it faces is nice enough with plenty of places to eat. It's just a short walk over to the Canal St. Martin, a nice place to stroll. We'd stay there again without hesitation.

Standby4321 Sep 16, 2003 6:30 pm

Lori Ann, Bienvenue a Flyertalk! (From a fellow Francophile!)