Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crowne Plaza Rome St. Peters (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2002, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Crowne Plaza Rome St. Peters (Master Thread)

Please let me know if this hotel is in a good location or do you need a cab to get around. Additionally, does the hotel airport shuttle run a regular schedule or do you need to call upon arrival. Any input would be appreciated.
Old Jan 28, 2002, 11:21 am
Community Director Emerita

I have stayed at this property several times, and like it very much as it is in the historic center of Rome, adjacent to the Pantheon. However, if we are speaking of the same property, it is my understanding that the management has passed out of the Crowne Plaza hands.

I am unaware of any of the central Rome hotels offering shuttle service to the hotel. I take a taxi from the airport.
Old Jan 28, 2002, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Sandiego1k,
The Rome Crowne Plaza is located on Via Aurelia Antica 415. Is this the same property you are referring to.
Old Mar 31, 2002, 12:44 pm
Zip

Programs: UA-MM; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold
Crowne Plaza Rome

I’m a Hilton person, but I checked in here for info for a Rome stay. I could not find much, so thought I’d post my experiences from last week.
First, there is only one Crowne Plaza in Rome, “St. Peter’s.” There used to be one at Plaza Minerva, but it no longer is a CP property. We split our stay, 3 nights at CP, 2 nights in the old city, and final night at airport Hilton. Main advantage of the St. Peter’s site: it is far from the maddening crowd. It is a very pleasant property, set back from the streets, and is quite. Nice for business, and nice for vacations if you need the peace and quite after sightseeing. Main disadvantage: it is far from the maddening crowd! If you are a tourist, you want to be near where the people are, to experience the life styles (to say nothing about the sights).
On a map the CP looks very convenient to the Vatican area, looks like a 1-1/2 mile walk. It is not. For the first ½ mile from the hotel, there are no sidewalks, and you must walk on a foot-wide strip next to the traffic (and even that strip sometimes disappears and you are on the road with the traffic). If you do make it up to the regular street, they curve wildly, so cannot walk in a st. line to St Peter’s area.
There are three ways to get around. I. Hotel has a shuttle bus that makes set trips to the airport, twice in the morning to St Peter’s, and twice in afternoon to old Rome. However, you usually have to plan other ways to return, unless you are very lucky with your schedule. The shuttle leaves exactly on time, and no standing is permitted (holds 17), and it is first come, first served. II. City buses run in front of hotel. You can buy tickets at front desk. Must take the narrow street walk for about 50 feet to the bus stop. Buses run quite often, stops near St Peters, and across the Tiber into old Rome where it terminates. Unless you figure out the transfer system, plan on lots of walking, or get a good bus map. Actually, walking is most of the fun here. III. Taxi. However, expect these to be “New York City” rates. They are metered, but who knows if they take the most direct routes.
Staying in old Rome brings you near to the Plazas’ crowds (which is a lot of fun, very interesting), and near to the sights of ancient Rome. However if you want a room comparable to a room at the CP, expect to pay double or more for an equivalent room in the old city.
The Crowne Plaza itself is very nice, with friendly and helpful staff. Great service. Restaurant is overpriced, but convenient. Large breakfast, but I say skip them or have a small one, and have a large dinner (12-3 pm) at any of the numerous restaurants you come across. It had one of the great Sunday buffets that the CP have, it seems, throughout Europe (I have no experience with domestic CP). We were very pleased with our split stay. From the CP. We mainly took the bus to/from the Vatican museums, and associated sights, and to the near part of old Rome. When we changed hotels to old Rome, we walked everywhere.
That’s what I have to offer. If you have any specific questions, I’ll try to answer them. I’ll check in here several times over the next couple months.
Old Apr 1, 2002, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
Thanks for the info Zip!

I love Rome and the Mrs. and I are always looking for different places to stay in Rome (for free using points of course!) and your tips and observations are the types of things I like to know while I make my plans.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Zip:
There are three ways to get around. I. Hotel has a shuttle bus that makes set trips to the airport, twice in the morning to St Peter’s, and twice in afternoon to old Rome.</font>
What is the cost for the hotel shuttle? How much to/from the airport? How much to/from St. Peter's and old Rome? I usually take a cab from the airport (a little pricy compared to other methods, but not too unbearable if you negotiate the rate in advance of course ) but if the shuttle is a better deal, I'd have to consider starting a stay in Rome at the CP.

[This message has been edited by onedog (edited 04-01-2002).]
Old Apr 4, 2002, 3:20 pm
Zip

Onedog, thanks for your kind words. The CP shuttle in Rome is free! If you can navagate to their web site, there is a schedule. When we were there, 5 trips to the airport per day. You cannot reserve a spot. FOr example, our schedule had departures from airport to hotel at 8am and 11am. We were due to arrive at 7:45, so were undecided between taxi or train/taxi. Got in an hour early, went accross the street from the Arrivals area, up the stairs to that street level (sings posted for "hotel buses"), and sure enough, at 7:50, CP bus came by - well marked. And it did leave exactly at 8:00.
Shuttle is free for all its stops. Even though we checked out several days beofre our return flight, front desk told us we could return to the hotel and take the shuttle back to airport for our return trip. Very nice, but we ended up doing another option.
Hope this makes your next trip there more enjoyable!
Old Apr 6, 2002, 7:52 am

Programs: AA: EXP-2MM, HiltonHonors : Diamond
Hi There,
I too stayed at this property last summer. It was very pleasant. I also saw quite a few airline personell people there which I take as a good sign of the hotel being a decent value for the buck/euro.
One nice amenity is that they have an Avis counter in the lobby. I picked up a car at the airport for my vacation and was able to return it at the Hotel without additional charges. I then took the shuttle to the terminal the next morning. It made for one less thing to worry about at the end of the trip. I would certainly reccomend them.
Old Nov 12, 2002, 7:51 pm

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, Intercontinental Platinum
HERE IT IS........THANKS!

Go AU Zips!
Old Nov 20, 2002, 8:12 am

Zip:
Thanks for your report. I got all the information I needed. Why did you stay at the Airport Hilton? The Crown Plaza has an airport shuttle (to both city and airport).
Old Nov 20, 2002, 8:17 am

You get all information here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum58/HTML/000292.html
Old Nov 21, 2002, 5:53 am

Zip:

You answered my question already.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I’m a Hilton person</font>
Old Nov 22, 2002, 6:24 pm
Zip

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by USAFAN:
Zip:

You answered my question already.

I’m a Hilton person</font>
Yep. But we like airport hotels for our last evening if we have an early morning flight.
BTW, we're leaving Hilton. I'm joining Marriott, and my wife has already joined CP/HI.
Old Feb 24, 2004, 2:08 pm
Original Member

Rome-St. Peters Crown Plaza

Has anyone stayed at this hotel?

Rome St. Peters Crown Plaza.

Thanks,
Marvella
Old Feb 24, 2004, 2:21 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Marvella:
Has anyone stayed at this hotel?

Rome St. Peters Crown Plaza.

Thanks,
Marvella
</font>
It's a typical, large congress hotel, nothing special. Outside of Rome on Via Aurelia Antica; they have a shuttle to the city center.
The name "St. Peters" is misleading...

CHANGED ADDRESS:

Via Aurelia Antica 415
ROME, 00165
ITALY
39-06-66420

[This message has been edited by USAFAN (edited Feb 24, 2004).]
Old Feb 25, 2004, 10:24 am
Original Member

I had a feeling that it was out of the city.
It's so hard to tell sometimes.

Thanks for your help.

Marvella

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.