Jiaton University (交通大学)
Served by subway line 10 and subway line 11
Print Wikipost

Crowne Plaza Shanghai (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2000, 10:59 am
Used to be MBS PremExec
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Crowne Plaza Shanghai (Master Thread)

Has anyone stayed at the Crowne Plaza Shanghai?

I'm curious to the quality of the hotel, as I found an insanely low rate in January...Like 30% of discounted rates at other hotels in the area.

I've never stayed at this particular CP, nor do I know exactly where it is, other than being on Pan Yu Road downtown.

Any input would be appreciated!
Old Dec 14, 2000, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
MBS PremExec,

While I can't help you out specifically on this particular Holiday Inn, I can tell you that in general, the quality of the HI chain in China is better than that of its US cousin.

I did see the inside of a Crowne Plaza in Beijing and it was nice and the location was not too far from the Forbidden City. Not a big help, I know it.

Unless someone tells you otherwise, I would lean towards going for it. Throught my trip in China (this summer) I found that for cheap rates I could find US chains. For example, I stayed at the St. Regis in Beijing (in a suite) for just over $100/night.

Basically, what I'm saying is that the dollar goes far in China. Also, distance is not a huge issue usually becuase cabs are really inexpensive -- usually less than $4 anywhere in Shanghai.

Finally, did you look at the Westin? It's really nice -- gloved attendants everywhere, you don't even have to push the elevator button!

Email me if you have any other questions.
Old Dec 15, 2000, 7:35 am
Used to be MBS PremExec
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Neo--

Thanx for the input. I'm confident that the CP Shanghai is sufficient, as I realize it wouldn't carry the brand name if it didn't live up to CP's standards (which I'm thankful are at least higher than HI's).

I'm in China 3-4 times a year, usually at places where even a HI Express would be a Godsend, and staying at places for $20-$25 per night...With no alternative accomidations. But in Shanghai to find the Crowne Plaza for under $50 per night got me thinking...
Old Dec 17, 2000, 7:39 pm

I have stayed in CP in Shanghai a few years back, it was very clean and the rooms were very big. THough I am not sure how this property is now, but I think agree with people here that HIs in China are generally much better than their counterparts here in the States.

Al
Old Jan 10, 2004, 8:08 am

Programs: Delta DM 2 Million Miler, Hilton DM, Priority Club Platinum
Crowne Plaza Shanghai

Looking for reviews of this hotel-would like to stay there later this month-located at 400 pan yu road
Old Oct 3, 2006, 9:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Shangri-La Jade, IHG Platinum, TG Gold
I am also considering staying here.
I'm used Rewards points to book a standard room in Oct.
Being PC Platinum, can I expect an upgrade to Club floor room ?
Will I also be able to make use of the Club floor lounge ?

Is there a complimentary shuttle to airport ? city district ? shopping centres ?
Old Mar 30, 2007, 9:54 am

Any recent info regarding this hotel? It looks like the official hotel for the Asian X Games in May 2007.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 4:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
I have stayed there a couple of times, and will be there again in a couple of weeks time.

I liked it; can't remember too much, but last time I got an UG to the club floor. Room was a nice size, but not huge by the standards of upsacle PRC hotels. I remember the room rate as being very reasonable - somewhere in the $100-150 range.

The club was very good - a big club, with a very good selection for breakfast.

It's a long way from the airport (which is way out of town in PuDong, on the other side of the river), and there is no shuttle. Not sure if there is a downtown shuttle, but it is reasonably convenient for the Bund, and downtown.

Overall, one of the nicest CPs I have stayed at (though the only CP I have stayed at in Asia).

I believe that there is another CP on the other side of the river in PuDong - but that is a long way from downtown, but would be more convenient for the airport.

Also see this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=443061
Old Oct 11, 2007, 3:30 pm

Crowne Plaza Shanghai

I just became a Platinum member and booked a 5000 Point Saver Award

Booked standard room, did not receive a Club room upgrade, 1619 was the room number.

I was offered an upgrade to a Club room floor if I paid $35, then when they realized my wife and I were staying together they changed this to $50
Is this a special discount rate for Platinum members or is the room upgrade rate higher for non Platinum members? I assume this was a daily rate, I was only there for a quick overnight stay so decided not to upgrade since I had an early morning flight anyway.

I looked at both a regular room and a Club room and they were identical in size. The only difference is in a Club room all the mini bar sodas are free, breakfast is free, and lounge access comes with the room. Sounds like a decent deal if I had a longer time to enjoy the hotel and Club amenities. The room was a great deal for only 5000 points!

Alos received 2 drink coupons at checkin as well.

Any other comments/experiences for this hotel?
Old Oct 12, 2007, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Can you post details about the location of this property. If it is the one that is in Pudong, it is rather off the main area and I'd like to know how you got there other than cab...i.e. is it near a subway station?

As for the Club upgrade charge, that's a fair offer since there were two of you and there are extra costs associated with the Club level that are covered by this extra charge. And of course, this way you can earn PC points on an award stay.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 1:00 am

Hi,
It is:
Crowne Plaza Hotel
SHANGHAI
400 PAN YU ROAD
SHANGHAI, 200052 CHINA
Hotel Front Desk: 86-21-61458888

Its not the one in Pudong. I took a taxi to get there- not sure where the nearest subway is, but it was only a 10 minute taxi ride from there to the Shanghai Hilton at 250 Hua Shan Road. If I didn't have to leave early that day I would have bought the upgrade, enjoyed the free minibar, lounge and hot buffet breakfast. Still got points on phone calls and food even on this nonqualifying stay.

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Can you post details about the location of this property. If it is the one that is in Pudong, it is rather off the main area and I'd like to know how you got there other than cab...i.e. is it near a subway station?

As for the Club upgrade charge, that's a fair offer since there were two of you and there are extra costs associated with the Club level that are covered by this extra charge. And of course, this way you can earn PC points on an award stay.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 8:42 pm

Programs: *G, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat, BW Plat
Red face CP Shanghai

First post and first review . . .

Booked a Pointbreaker for this hotel for 2 nights in September to check out the World Expo. I am a PC Plat and got upgraded to a standard room in the new wing. Paid an additional 50 USD per night for club lounge access for 2 people (or 30 USD for 1 person).

Building

The hotel had a newly remodeled lobby with excellent decor, located in the old wing. The new wing was recently added, and sports upgraded rooms, club rooms, and suites. I never got to check out any of the rooms in the old wing. The indoor swimming pool and work out room were on the second floor in the old wing. Work out room was limited, and the swimming room was medium-sized.

Rooms

The new wing rooms were finely finished with modern decor. The bathroom was on the larger side for a standard room, housing a separate shower stall and oversized bathtub. The king-sized bed was comfortable and the pillows and sheets were ample. There was a glass work desk, a work chair, a and sofa chair. TV was a standard 32" LCD TV. The side of the room facing the exterior consisted of several planes of glass. They even went overboard on the shiny window curtains. The minibar was impressive, as all the soft drinks and most of the beers were complimentary (limit of 2 per each selection per night). Several complimentary water bottles were placed around the room every day. An apple, an orange, and a banana were also on the glass work desk, replaced every day free of charge. You are allowed 2 garments for complimentary pressing each day. WiFi and Ethernet were complimentary in the new wing.

Club Lounge

The hotel has two club lounges: one in the new wing and one in the old wing. All guests with club lounge benefits are able to access either lounge. The club lounge in the new wing was located on the 9th floor and required key elevator access. The layout was good with an outdoor patio and second floor computer and meeting room. WiFi was complimentary and the seats and tables were comfortable. The breakfast, afternoon tea, and evening cocktail were subpar. Breakfast only consisted of your normal danishes, sliced meat, fruits, breads, and drinks. Eggs can be cooked to order free of charge. Afternoon tea and evening cocktail were somewhat limited with buffalo wings, egg rolls, sushi rolls, shrimp cocktails, fruits, drinks, and unlimited alcoholic beverages. Only 1 person worked the breakfast shift and 2 people worked the afternoon tea and evening cocktail. The waitresses were helpful, but they were always on the move.

The old wing club lounge was 2 stories situated on the penthouse of the hotel's old wing. I never got to experience the afternoon tea or evening cocktail at the old wing's club lounge, but the breakfast was much better, surprisingly. The breakfast featured an array of hot food, including egg rolls, vegetables, dim sum, rice porridge, sausages, bacon, and pancakes. Eggs can be cooked to order free of charge. The selection of sliced meats and danishes were also better, and the service was much better with 3 waitresses. It seemed awkward to me that the old wing club lounge had better food and service than the new wing, and I was disappointed that I didn't get to check out the afternoon tea and evening cocktail at the old wing club lounge.

Concierge and Help Desk

Helpful. The Concierge wasn't bogged down into selling us overpriced tours for a commission. Their English wasn't that good, but they were friendly and helped out where they could. Help Desk could have done a better job explaining to me the benefits and features of my room. I had to figure out myself that Internet was complimentary in the new wing and that both club lounges were accessible.

Bottom Line

Definitely worth the 5k points as a Pointbreaker, but in terms of normal award bookings, which are 25k, you're better off going with one of Shanghai's three InterContinental hotels, which are all 30k. Club lounge access is worth the additional charge if you use the lounge in the old wing. Definitely a good stay for leisure travelers since services are ample and in-room complimentary amenities are plentiful. Be sure to book a room in the new wing, where Internet is complimentary and the rooms are much better. But stay away from the new wing's club lounge. This CP is, by far, better than any CP I've ever stayed at in the U.S, which is to be expected out of a CP in Shanghai. So it's nothing out of the ordinary.

Rating 3.5/5
Old Apr 2, 2012, 11:04 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
CP Shanghai - interesting place

Good evening from the Crowne Plaza Shanghai. I am staying here as I am tied between Baoan and Minhang and it looked like a decent place. I should have become suspicious when a hotel offers 24 (!) different room categories. None of the room description shows whether the rooms are in the new or old wing; in fact deluxe and superious as well as all suites (!) have the exactly same room description.

To cut it short, I booked "1 KING BED EXECUTIVE NONSMOKING" and got upgraded two levels to a "stylish" "1 KING BED 88 SUITE NONSMOKING". Both rooms are apparently in the old building and they are terribly old, so that I will not spend the week in a room where the bathroom doesn't allow me turning around, has a tub only, with a old-style shower curtain (not curved like at HIs now) and one of those wall mounted hair dryers that I thought had left IHG 10 years ago.

Now the fun starts. I wanted a room in the new wing and the receptionist was friendly showing me one. A "1 KING CLUB PREMIER NONSMOKING", which is a one level upgrade from what I have booked. Nice, modern room, large bathroom, big bedroom. But, to I would have to pay for the "downgrade" (one level, instead of two levels!). It's a mere 100 CNY, but that logic is, well, I don't get it.
To add to the confusion, he insisted that platinums get only a one level upgrade. Pointing out the the renovated room is the one level upgrade, and the suite is a two level upgrade, he was pretty confused.

As I have reservations coming up for some colleagues, I tried to find out, which room I needed to book to get a non-club room in the new building. Well, the guy didn't know and was just as confused by the 24 room categories as I was. By a lady, apparently manager on duty, I was informed that all rooms in the new wing are club rooms. I don't believe that - somehow. So, I will start another attempt tomorrow morning, or does anyone know about the categories at this hotel?

She also explained to me, that as valued platinum member, I would always get a suite, but would have to pay for a renovated room. However, she made a one time exception for me this time. Go figure how the hotel thinks about the state of the old tower!

Finally, when I inquired about the name of the general manager, I was told it was a secret. Not believing this, the nice agent told me that too many people want to contact him, so now he forbad staff to give out his name. Go figure!

In 10 years of travelling extensively and about 100 nights per year, I have never encountered anything like this. It's funny and ridiculous...

Well, I tell everyone a secret now. Besides the 13 nights that I have booked now, I would have had a total of 102 mandays (several rooms) coming up. Now guess which hotel I won't book! (But don't tell the GM, he's probably inventing yet another 24 room categories..)

Last edited by Chinatrvl; Apr 2, 2012 at 11:13 am
Old Apr 2, 2012, 2:05 pm
Suspended

People in Asia especially from Northeast Asia are very upset if you want to get to the higher authorities above him or her. And it is considered as terribly rude if you challenge the manager on duty and it will treated as a threat if you want to seek the General Manager. In many big premier hotels in north Asia, general manager have absolute authorities and they only come out for the real VIP (government officials and celebrities). Normal CIP and not so important people are stopped at Manager on Duty level. I do recommend you to forget the GM as a letter to the room division manager would solve the issue without much fuss. You will go nowhere if you continue embarrass the manager of duty by requesting name of GM or attempt to talk to GM. It is a culture issue. Somebody might tell you it is about Mianzi, but it is a product of authorititian society.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 3:42 pm

Programs: SQ
Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
Finally, when I inquired about the name of the general manager, I was told it was a secret. Not believing this, the nice agent told me that too many people want to contact him, so now he forbad staff to give out his name. Go figure!
This sounds like something that would only happen in China....

I see 9 categories on the PC website

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.