Crowne Plaza Berlin Potsdamer Platz (Master Thread)

Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:33 am

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
It is quite common to see a charge for a second person in the room in Germany. However in an Intercontinental it is an Ambassador benefit that it is free. In the CP this is up to the hotel, some have given me Ambassador benefits others not. This is in no way related to the city tax in Berlin,that is paid to the city authorities.
Old May 27, 2016, 4:01 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Flying Blue (KLM) Platinum, Oneworld (BA) Sapphire, *A (Aegean) Gold, IHG Spire RA,
I stayed at the hotel once some time ago (some months) as the Intercon Berlin was full (I had to book IN Berlin as no time to drive back home to Netherlands). It was a good stay. I got breakfast for free (tough negotiating) for Spire. The upgrade from standard to deluxe is .... no clue what's the difference. but for a night i don't care. Breakfast was good with good cold cuts, smoked salmon (i like that) etc.

I stayed again recently but was very unhappy:
- first they were sold out of burgers in the bar.... they could serve steaks and beef tartar (fresh). So, why not make a burger yourself? the tartar was good by the way.
- breakfast was were it started to annoy me a bit... first off all no staff at entrance to take your room number. I waited 30 seconds. i did book with breakfast so i just went in. no check. Ok not my problem.
- No salmon !!!! Colt cuts said "swarzwalderschinken (smoked ham), cooked ham, pepper salami" on the signs. It had: cheap chorizo and some cooked cheap kind of stuff which I don't know the name of even in English but I call it "colt cuts for poor people".

I complaint. But at breakfast they couldn't do anything. At check out I complaint to. They noted something but I thought i wouldn't hear. I got an email yesterday! Apology and that smoked salmon is only served on weekend and holidays!!! What? How inconsistent is that!

I am very sorry for the trouble you had with the breakfast.
I will hand your feedback over to the management and they will discuss about your ideas.
I just want to let you know that we have salmon just on the weekend and on public holidays on our buffet.
I am again very sorry for your experience and hope you will though visit us again to let us improve your opinion of our hotel.
oh, parking is still free in the street (May 2016).
Old Aug 8, 2016, 4:25 pm
alc

Return from my trip and I stay here for a few nights. Rec'd an email from IHG stating I was "upgraded" for being a Spire member and what I got is the Deluxe room - based on the floor map, it is a (bit) larger room then the others.

No breakfast nor lounge access given.

Complementary bottle of sparkling water per day.

Parking on the street is still free.

Overall, the room is okay for the price (~ €60) and it was walk-able to some of the attractions that we went to. Might stay here again if we are back.

----- Added Info -----

BTW, thought to mention that on the GPS off my rental, I had do search for Wyndham Grand Berlin Potsdamer Platz.

Last edited by alc; Aug 8, 2016 at 4:29 pm Reason: Added GPS Info
Old Sep 5, 2016, 10:43 pm

You paid 60 euro!? That's bloody good. Sorry to resurrect for no apparent reason other than that we stayed there for a family short break a few weeks ago. Combination of paid and points. Pleasantly surprised with it although I squeezed them to get free breakfast being spire. If I was paying for breakfast for the 5 of us it might have been a different matter.

As a side note, first time for us visiting Berlin. Great city but the cost of visiting the museums is really expensive. We bought the discount cards but even then it's high. Didn't go to the spy museum as it would have cost us 80 euros to get in.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Dubh
Pleasantly surprised with it although I squeezed them to get free breakfast being spire. If I was paying for breakfast for the 5 of us it might have been a different matter.
^^
Old Aug 24, 2017, 10:49 am

I'm debating using free night certs at the Crowne Plaza Potsdamer Platz or Intercontinental Berlin. Any thoughts? All I have with IHG is Platinum status.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 11:37 pm

I'm going to ITB Berlin this year and I'll stay at Crowne Plaza Berlin Potsdamer Platz. Stay by the points so there will be no upgrade given.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Hello guys, does anyone have experience in the lounge? I’m choosing between standard room and executive room with lounge access. If the lounge is not recommended, I’d just choose the former. Thank you guys. (I’m IHG Platinum Amb)
Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by SLGO
Hello guys, does anyone have experience in the lounge? I’m choosing between standard room and executive room with lounge access. If the lounge is not recommended, I’d just choose the former. Thank you guys. (I’m IHG Platinum Amb)
Hey SLGO,

I was there recently (In March, during the ITB Berlin). If you will take the lounge - you will got acces to the breakfast for free in the restaurant, because in lounge it isn't served. For me it's advantage
Another think - all day there's coffee and a tea, cold drinks, beer, some fruits and cookies.
During happy hours at the evening, there are some cold beverages such as sandwiches and to drink there a wine red and wite - there is no hard alcohols.

Stuff could be there more often, but they are open for suggestions and requests. I requested lemon and honey, they bringed to me with ginger huge portion and I could take it to the room.

What is diffirence in a price?
Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by pawi81
Hey SLGO,

I was there recently (In March, during the ITB Berlin). If you will take the lounge - you will got acces to the breakfast for free in the restaurant, because in lounge it isn't served. For me it's advantage
Another think - all day there's coffee and a tea, cold drinks, beer, some fruits and cookies.
During happy hours at the evening, there are some cold beverages such as sandwiches and to drink there a wine red and wite - there is no hard alcohols.

Stuff could be there more often, but they are open for suggestions and requests. I requested lemon and honey, they bringed to me with ginger huge portion and I could take it to the room.

What is diffirence in a price?
Thanks for the info. Looks like the lounge doesn’t offer too much food especially in the evening. The price difference is about €40 per night, which is reasonable for the breakfast and wine you mentioned. Anyway I’ll think about it, thanks.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by SLGO

Thanks for the info. Looks like the lounge doesn’t offer too much food especially in the evening. The price difference is about €40 per night, which is reasonable for the breakfast and wine you mentioned. Anyway I’ll think about it, thanks.
Photos in attach Of course there was some fruits and sweeties, wine and other cold soft drinks
Breakfast costs imho 19-21 EUR so it's worth to take a Lounge. You will eat this sandwiches, drink some wine etc There's no hot food, but you can live with that at the evening.

Ready Sandwiches

Cheese, Ham, Salami

Overview
Old Apr 3, 2018, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Don't assume that this place is in Potsdamer Platz. It is walking distance more than a kilometer away from Potsdamer Platz. It could better be called "Crown Plaza Anhalter Bahnhof".
Old Apr 3, 2018, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Don't assume that this place is in Potsdamer Platz. It is walking distance more than a kilometer away from Potsdamer Platz. It could better be called "Crown Plaza Anhalter Bahnhof".
Indeed, but many hotels got names like this
Old Apr 4, 2018, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by pawi81
Indeed, but many hotels got names like this
True. But this does not make it anyhow better. In particular because the public transport options from there are not ideal. Anhalter Bahnhof is on the North-South lines, but not on the East-West lines. On all counts, the IC is the better choice (and probably the location of the other CP even beats their outdated rooms)
Old Apr 4, 2018, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
True. But this does not make it anyhow better. In particular because the public transport options from there are not ideal. Anhalter Bahnhof is on the North-South lines, but not on the East-West lines. On all counts, the IC is the better choice (and probably the location of the other CP even beats their outdated rooms)
Are the rooms that outdated? They look alright on the website, though they must have touched the photos... I have considered IC too, but isn’t it further from the subway station than this CP? Newbie to Berlin so thanks for your advice in advance!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.