Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reward Nights are Changing from 18 January 2012

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2012, 12:40 am

Programs: BA, FB, LH; PC/IC, HH, MR
Have I got the wrong forum? I thought I was reading about PC points devaluation but I have appeared to jump to a BA thread......
Old Jan 4, 2012, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by markdg
Have I got the wrong forum? I thought I was reading about PC points devaluation but I have appeared to jump to a BA thread......
^
Old Jan 4, 2012, 6:16 am

Programs: Priority Club
While I suspected a points increase for CPs must be coming, I don't see how any Intercontinental is worth 50k (even the Paris, Washington DC ones) seeing as that is 2x IC increases to 1x CP increase.

The increment of 10k is a bit ridiculous for CPs and ICs. A fairer increase would have been to make CPs and Indigos 30k and keep ICs at 40k in my opinion.

Will certainly be looking to use up the majority of my 300k within the grace period now.

Wonder how long till the $60 for 10k points is increased to $80 . . .
Old Jan 4, 2012, 6:46 am

Programs: Oneworld, Avios and IHG Spire Ambassador
Glad I've already booked my US trip in August - 4 nights in the CP Times Square Manhattan, 13 nights in the CP Redondo Beach and 2 nights in the HI Santa Monica, all at 25k per night

Kick in the teeth, especially as Hotel prices appear to have risen significantly too
Old Jan 4, 2012, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Barry Bethal
Wonder how long till the $60 for 10k points is increased to $80 . . .
Well, maybe, but that'd be a bit rich since 10k points in Feb will be worth barely what 6k are now...
Old Jan 4, 2012, 7:55 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Barry Bethal
While I suspected a points increase for CPs must be coming, I don't see how any Intercontinental is worth 50k (even the Paris, Washington DC ones) seeing as that is 2x IC increases to 1x CP increase.
Even the 2 IC's at French Polynesia? Those are usually $1,000 a night and you can usually be upgraded to overwater room by being Royal Ambassador or paying an extra fee which is well worth it. While I agree that most are not worth it, I'd still use 50K a night there if I'm getting a room well valued at over 1K, given how easy it is at times at accumalate PC points...
Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
The issue for me is that, snob that I am, it is IC's where I usually redeem. Let's see how many go to 50k. I don't care about London, and Paris is often best booked for cash via a Virtuoso agent to get the free Club access. Many of the other European IC's will presumably stay at 40k due to modest room rates anyway.

What PC needs now is free internet for elites. Now everyone carries a tablet even for leisure, you simply can't get away with a Ł15 charge now. I see it as basically a fuel surcharge on a PC reward night! The Hilton programme may have many problems, but free internet and free breakfast for mid tier Gold members is looking a lot more attractive.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
The issue for me is that, snob that I am, it is IC's where I usually redeem. Let's see how many go to 50k. I don't care about London, and Paris is often best booked for cash via a Virtuoso agent to get the free Club access. Many of the other European IC's will presumably stay at 40k due to modest room rates anyway.
It isn't really just snobbishness - anyone with a decent wedge of points simply isn't likely to be spending enough leisure nights away to ever get through them at HIXs after all, plus with ICs in plenty of major European capitals and excellent US locations, it's a no brainer really.

The problem is, snob that I am, I would usually be looking to book an executive room or junior suite - my favourite part of the program is still really the AMB BOGO which combined with RA upgrade gets you some fantastic weekend stays at really good prices for what they are. The problem with points redemptions is that you're restricted to the lowest category of room which even with a token upgrade (which is itself discretionary anyway) you're looking at a poor version of the type of room you'd have paid for.

The fixed rate-per-hote-brand thing is great, insofar as you can get a room at the Amstel, Rome, NYC, London etc for the same points regardless of season, but because the room type is just as fixed, the programs greatest strength is also its greatest weakness. I have quite a number of points, but have no real desire to burn them because I'd rather follow your lead and book a virtuoso rate, or use a BOGO, or get a good AP rate, and get a great room rather than a 'crappy' room in a hotel full of good ones!
Old Jan 4, 2012, 11:03 am

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
Don Berg also hinted at a positive enhancement to be announced for Priority Club members after the backlash of the new reward tiers dies down.

What could it be?
  • free internet
  • extended stay reward discounts
  • room upgrade rewards
  • elite benefits on reward stays
  • free breakfast benefit for elites

Looks like a lot of enhancements would be welcome.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 11:13 am

Programs: BMI DC Gold, BA Gold, LH SEN, Priority Club Platinum, Nectar purple
Originally Posted by satori
Don Berg also hinted at a positive enhancement to be announced for Priority Club members after the backlash of the new reward tiers dies down.

What could it be?
  • free internet
  • extended stay reward discounts
  • room upgrade rewards
  • free breakfast benefit for elites

Looks like a lot of enhancements would be welcome.
I think as long as it's so easy to achieve Plat status, the likelihood of any significant enhancement for elites is very low.

But out of your list above, I regularly receive room upgrades on reward nights (mostly in Asia) and free breakfast (mostly in the US).
Old Jan 4, 2012, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by satori
Meaningful adherence to bennies on revenue stays would be nice first...

EDIT: As Doug says, maybe a new elite level - Diamond - based on nights only, with cast-iron benefits.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 11:34 am

Programs: Delta - PM, Hilton - Diamond, PriorityClub - Platinum
The fixed rate-per-hote-brand thing is great, insofar as you can get a room at the Amstel, Rome, NYC, London etc for the same points regardless of season, but because the room type is just as fixed, the programs greatest strength is also its greatest weakness. I have quite a number of points, but have no real desire to burn them because I'd rather follow your lead and book a virtuoso rate, or use a BOGO, or get a good AP rate, and get a great room rather than a 'crappy' room in a hotel full of good ones![/QUOTE]

Be careful what you wish for because you just might get it. You can now book "premium" rooms at Hilton brand hotels, however, the valuations are insane! I would expect PC to execute a similar program better, but you never really know. Check out the Hilton thread for some of the insanity that is going on with the HHonors program.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 12:02 pm

Mabe, just maybe... Folks should stop going on about how easy it is to maintain status, get free points ETC

A devaluation is only a natural consequence of this.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by kitbag1984
Mabe, just maybe... Folks should stop going on about how easy it is to maintain status, get free points ETC

A devaluation is only a natural consequence of this.
I think it's the getting of status and points, not the 'going on' about it, that shows up on IGH's balance sheet and causes a devaluation, don't you?
Old Jan 4, 2012, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by jimthehorsegod
I think it's the getting of status and points, not the 'going on' about it, that shows up on IGH's balance sheet and causes a devaluation, don't you?
No I dont. I dont think that there are that many platinums in the world, certainly from what I have seen on the lists at the desk.

Constantly talking about how easy it is will only make those in charge crack down on us,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.