Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reward Nights are Changing from 18 January 2012

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2012, 9:37 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Fairmont Platinum
Maybe Hilton will run a luckiest loser competition where everyone can submit how many PC points they had, what they lost etc. The top 20,000 people could get 20% of their balance, and the one with the largest verifiable balance could get 2,000,000 hilton honors points?

For those that forgot: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/loyalt...onors-members/
Old Jan 3, 2012, 9:41 am

(Or didn't read the third post of the thread)
Old Jan 3, 2012, 10:01 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Fairmont Platinum
In my defense. I read it. Just didn't click the link
Old Jan 3, 2012, 10:01 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
I think after this, PC will still probably have a reasonable reward value (e.g. assuming 1 SPG:5 PC points, even the top IC properties at 50,000 points are still only equivalent to 10,000 SPG points which is only a category 4 SPG hotel).

Saying that, I'll miss the bargain redemptions at the two Indigos in London, plus Z Ocean in Miami Beach.

As mentioned in another post, it would be good if PC could sort out Platinum benefits to try and offset this - I've moved most of my business to SPG and Hilton because of the free internet access offered to top/mid-tier customers
Old Jan 3, 2012, 10:09 am

Programs: Miles and More
20% of PC properties decreasing - that is probably every second 25K HI/HIX going to 20K - somehow I have a feeling we will not see that happening.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 10:11 am

i still see only the current chart

following the links (which include a reference to change in the URL) but still only seeing the old chart...

can anyone publish here a comprehensive listing of new award levels?

cheers
Old Jan 3, 2012, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by davidw70
I think after this, PC will still probably have a reasonable reward value (e.g. assuming 1 SPG:5 PC points...
Reasonable? A 150 USD Westin night gets me only about 950 Starpoints, a 150 USD IC night gets me 5500 points plus plus plus. PC still is cheap. HOWEVER: Westin gives me full benefits on award nights and their award nights count for top tier status. Simply comparing point value is a bit of comparing apples and oranges....
Old Jan 3, 2012, 10:16 am

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
Here is my piece today on Loyalty Traveler about the Priority Club tier changes.

I predict 80% or more of the reward increases will happen in HI and HIX. How will the Priority Club member know if the hotel is available at a lower cost for booking through mid-March if you don't know the pre-Jan 18 reward tier for the hotel?

Anyone know of a list of hotels in their current Priority Club tiers?

I suggest crowdsourcing a list before January 18.

How will we know what changes occurred in Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express when the new tiers appear on Jan 18?
Old Jan 3, 2012, 10:32 am

Programs: IHG
Personally I do not like the way PC attempt to disguise the level of devalution.

PC diplomatically announce:
25% of properties have an increased cost
20% of properties have a decreased cost

Doesn't sound too bad does it?

However, Indigo, Crowne Plaza and IC all have a new 10,000 pt higher redemtion bracket.

So here is the real question:

How many properties have been increased by 10,000 points? (my guess is 200+)
How many properties have been reduced by 10,000 points? (my guess is zero or close to it)

How about softening this devaluation by providing a new incentive?

Currently Plat status is given for 60K points or 50 nights in 12 months, I think it's fair to assume over 95% achieve status by hitting the point target.

So the answer is simple; Introduce a new tier for people who achieve 60,000 points and 50 qualifying nights.

Last edited by midnight; Jan 3, 2012 at 4:27 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jan 3, 2012, 10:37 am

Programs: IHG
Satrori Anyone know of a list of hotels in their current Priority Club tiers?
__________________________________________________ _________

Here is a list of current redemption values, but I cannot confirm how accurate it is.

http://www.chonetsao.co.uk/iccensor.html
Old Jan 3, 2012, 11:01 am

Programs: BMI DC Gold, BA Gold, LH SEN, Priority Club Platinum, Nectar purple
Originally Posted by midnight

So the answer is simple; Introduce a new tier for people who achieve 60,000 points and 50 qualifying nights.
Agreed. And make the 60,000 points only count from paid night qualifying points (as the airlines do), not from the credit card, bonuses or promotions. As an example of how easy Plat is to achieve: my wife earned it last year without staying any nights in any hotel, just with the credit card and two car rentals.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Given what their competitors are doing, and how many points PC threw at me in 2010-2011 for a relatively small number of stays, I can't be too terribly upset at this change. 50k for a higher-end IC compares reasonably to 50k for a Cat 7 Hilton or 18k for a Cat 5 Hyatt. I'm happy that I have a reservation for this summer at the CP Manhattan while it's still 25k. and at the AMS IC while it's still 40k.

But for me the devil is in the details of the 15k-20k range. Most of my PC redemptions are at 15k properties when Priceline isn't a viable option for whatever reason. It's usually a choice between a 15k HIX, a 25k Hampton, and a $89+tax cash rate. If most of those 15k properties go to 20k, then I'm still better off with PC than Hilton both on earning bonuses as well as redemption, but the gap has narrowed a bit.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I'm not seeing anything yet, links bring me to dead, blank, or pages that won't load.

Overall, a huge to the program. This just allows other programs to do the same.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mnredfox
I'm not seeing anything yet, links bring me to dead, blank, or pages that won't load.

Overall, a huge to the program. This just allows other programs to do the same.
Clear your cookie and see if it brings the page up.

I had the same dead and blank page earlier but now I can see the announcement.

Try this link: http://www.priorityclub.com/hotels/u...d_Chart_Change

This devaluation reminds me of the BA devaluation (another UK company) that they deliberately were very vague to say about 97% of the routes are not affected - when the 97% even referred to only LHR based, was still too generous a statement.

At least with BA, one can deduce that it is changing to a distance-based program from a region-based program so people can make educated guess to redeem longhauls to Asia and South America before the program changed - to much worse for long haul travel.

With PC, you cannot even make such guess!
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by layz
Great. Why not allow online booking at the old rates until March rather than put us under extra hassle (and create needless calls for their call centres)?
My hunch is that most of the people don't realize that they can get the hotels at the old rate by just calling in.

Originally Posted by soitgoes
Given the fact that PCR isn't publishing a list of hotels going up in point cost, the telephone grace period, although annoying, is probably better than simply delaying the increase to March.
My hunch is that most of the people don't realize that they can get the hotels at the old rate by just calling in.

Originally Posted by soitgoes

If it's a major devaluation, it would be appropriate to throw IHG's words back at them: http://www.ihgplc.com/index.asp?PageID=116&NewsID=2421
Hilton should most definitely let the IHG know!

Originally Posted by satori
He also says publishing a list would give their competitors an advantage. I guess that means Priority Club has an advantage over Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt and Starwood since they all publish a list of which hotels are in each reward category.
So it is an advantage to IHG to be opaque about the redemption rates so that they cannot be compared? More honorable companies like SPG actually publish a list of properties moving up and down.

Originally Posted by midnight
Personally I do not like the way PC attempt to disguise the level of devalution.

PC diplomatically announce:
25% of properties have an increased cost
20% of properties have a decreased cost

Doesn't sound too bad does it?
Exactly. They try to make it sound like nothing is really happening...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.