Reward Nights are Changing from 18 January 2012

Old Jan 4, 12, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
In case they don't end up offering the grade period, I just ended up spending my balance on booking some nights at the CP in Hong Kong since I was planning on staying there anyway and I expect that to be another place where the redemption rate will increase.

I booked them as single nights so I can adjust the number of nights later without having to rebook at the new rate.
Old Jan 4, 12, 1:14 pm

Programs: ICH Spire/Amb HH Dia, LCAH Plat, Marriot/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kitbag1984 View Post
No I dont. I dont think that there are that many platinums in the world, certainly from what I have seen on the lists at the desk.

Constantly talking about how easy it is will only make those in charge crack down on us,
What possible reason would there be for doing that?
Old Jan 4, 12, 1:50 pm

Programs: RA Platinum, GoldpointsPlus Elite, HH Gold VIP, Sixt Platinum, *A Gold, TK ElitePlus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jimthehorsegod View Post
The problem is, snob that I am, I would usually be looking to book an executive room or junior suite - my favourite part of the program is still really the AMB BOGO which combined with RA upgrade gets you some fantastic weekend stays at really good prices for what they are. The problem with points redemptions is that you're restricted to the lowest category of room which even with a token upgrade (which is itself discretionary anyway) you're looking at a poor version of the type of room you'd have paid for.
+1
Once you get used to staying in better rooms/suites, I really hate to be able to book only a standard room. I agree this is a big downside of the rewards program. What usually happens is that I end up negotiating a supplement for the better room. Would be much easier if I could book a better room, maybe with more points online, or the RA benefits were honoured on reward stays too.
Old Jan 4, 12, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by mgoflyer View Post
Be careful what you wish for because you just might get it. You can now book "premium" rooms at Hilton brand hotels, however, the valuations are insane! I would expect PC to execute a similar program better, but you never really know. Check out the Hilton thread for some of the insanity that is going on with the HHonors program.
True. However, Club Carlson has 'premium' Radisson redemptions at a much more sensible rate. A hotel with a 50k standard room often also has a 75k redemption for an executive room with club access. I could live with this at an IC.
Old Jan 4, 12, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kitbag1984 View Post
No I dont. I dont think that there are that many platinums in the world, certainly from what I have seen on the lists at the desk.

Constantly talking about how easy it is will only make those in charge crack down on us,

I made plat on an 11 night stay last year.
Old Jan 5, 12, 9:48 am

Programs: AF/KLM LTP| Emirates Gold |InterContinental Spire RA |A Club Gold |AMEX Plat| Visa Plat |Hertz P
Of course this not good news.

IHG is moving towards SPG or HH programs in terms of category of properties, not only based on brand but also destinations.

It was great - but surprising - that:
- a CP in NYC costed the same amount of points than a HI (and always wondering who was booking HIs in NYC when you can have a renovated/centrally located CP for the same amount of points)
- you could get a room at Amstel, Paris Le Grand, or Willard for the same 40,000 points than in second tier properties (even if IHG has already introduced 30,000 points ICs)
Old Jan 5, 12, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
just saw this thread....i'm glad i've already made all my redemption bookings for the year....this way i still get to redeem at old levels....
Old Jan 5, 12, 10:59 am

Programs: MSC (Miles Slut Club); Cunard- Diamond 300+; Princess- Elite 200+; RCCL- D Plus; QF LTG; CA P
Some points I would like to make

Please allow me to extend my appreciation for those who visited my website and supported the full list of 10K/25K hotels. Here I have some points I felt I should make

1>, no suprising about the new redemption tiers

From 2010 when I first published the lists for the convenience of all PC members, I forecasted that IC will have the new redemption level of 50K, and Crowne Plaza may have a redmeption level of 30K. The first thing happened but the second point failed as IHG decided 30K was too few for Crowne Plaza Times Sqaure alike.

2>, 20K Holiday Inn may not be too bad

When I did the list, I actually manually checked hotels one by one. So I often encounter some hotels, which is at 25K level but have a very very cheap daily rate whereas some 15K hotels have a higher daily rate. It did not make sense for me. For example, one HI I checked at the 25K level have an average ADV rate of USD$109 where one HI at 15K level in another state but nearby had an average rate of USD$149. I found it very difficult to explain the situation even by the law of supply and demand. I felt that some hotels being put in 25K level simply because of the marketiers from IHG felt 15K being too cheap for those hotels. A new tier under 25K at 20K may solve the problem. It is not that bad at all to see some 25K to 20K. But it would be bad if your favourite hotel go from 15K to 20K.

3>, Hong Kong/New York/Washington DC/Paris/Sydney will become the most expensive areas in terms of points redemption

No need to explain...

4>, UK/Canada/California/Texas may see some moderate reduce in terms of point redemption

Personally I felt that it is crazy to redeem one HI/HIX for 25K when the hotel have an average room rate below USD$90. I think we may finally see some reduction in regions like UK.

5>, The new redemption tier will create a fairer redemption opportunity by linking ADR and demand into the redemption rate

I guess the tier of redemtption will reflect the daily rate and popularity of the hotel. So far I personally feel that the increase is fair to a degree. This means the average Crowne Plaza will require 30K but have 25K bargains around. And IC will have average requirement of 40K but 30K bargains around. I hope the average Crowne Plaza could meet the standard of the lower IC.

6>, A larger reshuffle in redemption tiers may happen in Q2

Even though officially the new tiers come in after 18th January. But I think IHG will keep majority hotels at the current level and move a large number of them after March and June. So I felt that there is no need to publish a new list immidiately. What I will do is to keep the old list online until middle of May and, if IHG do not publish official list, I will check hotels one by one and publish the new list in middle of June.

7>, A major revamp may be on its way

Something more will happen. I sense that the new CEO will do something to mark his power and name. I kind of sense the timeline will be linked to London Olympics. So I would expect more to come after the Games.

8>, Final of the Pointsbreak?

Everybody is asking this question. And nobody has the answer rather than IHG. But one thing I am sure, change is on its way.

9>, Point devaluation?

I do not think so at this moment. This is only operational changes...well, inflationary changes. I would consider a massive point devaluation if the average redemption point requirement raised by 40-50%. So we have to wait and see.
Old Jan 5, 12, 11:49 am

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
As they don't publish lists of properties by tiers, it's very easy to make statements like "20% of the hotels will rise in price, 25% will fall". Nobody will check hotels one by one, so I'll be very surprised if they really keep these limits.
It is nice to have chongcao's list around for checks.
Old Jan 5, 12, 6:26 pm

Possible to modify the dates on reservation?

If i use my points to book at the HK IC at the current 40k rate and say the rate rises to 50k like many expect. If I change the dates of my reservation, will I be charged the higher 50k rate or will the lower 40k point rate be honored? Any thoughts or insight on this? Thank you.
Old Jan 5, 12, 7:24 pm

Programs: IC Spire Ambassador, A3*G, MSC Voyagers Club Black
Originally Posted by mca311 View Post
If i use my points to book at the HK IC at the current 40k rate and say the rate rises to 50k like many expect. If I change the dates of my reservation, will I be charged the higher 50k rate or will the lower 40k point rate be honored? Any thoughts or insight on this? Thank you.
You cannot modify Reward Night reservations...
Old Jan 5, 12, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flamewing View Post
You cannot modify Reward Night reservations...
But the PCR service center can. However, the new price would be charged for changed dates, so one would be at the mercy of goodwill after the grace period.
Old Jan 5, 12, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by neuromancer View Post
As they don't publish lists of properties by tiers, it's very easy to make statements like "20% of the hotels will rise in price, 25% will fall". Nobody will check hotels one by one, so I'll be very surprised if they really keep these limits.
I imagine the changes on January 18 will stick to those limits. They can always changer rate levels whenever they want in the future. Most properties that increase will increase by 10K/night, while those going down will only decrease by 5K.
Old Jan 6, 12, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by jimthehorsegod View Post
EDIT: As Doug says, maybe a new elite level - Diamond - based on nights only, with cast-iron benefits.
+1 ...........my 150 stays last year mean the same as some person that got platinum by some easy promo or like below

Originally Posted by annerj View Post

I made plat on an 11 night stay last year.
Old Jan 6, 12, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Gold, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, NA EE, Hertz PC
Well, new levels now show up for me too.

Few other points:
1. Do NOT introduce prem tiers, the HH fiasco is truly a fiasco
2. HH can't do a biggest loser thing like PC did, they just had their prem room fiasco devaluation themselves

Search this Thread