Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IHG Premium Visa card [UK] (was PC Rewards Black Visa Card)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:42 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by David Stuart Lee
Shock horror, the points have posted overnight.
Mine also... Minus the foreign spend
Old Mar 1, 2019, 1:40 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bénéfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.
Originally Posted by Saral
Mine also... Minus the foreign spend
Me too.

No foreign spend points at an ihg hotel!

I am seriously thinking about binning this card before the subscription is due again.

BM
Old Mar 1, 2019, 1:43 am

I signed up to this card last week and it just arrived, so all this is new to me, but you're all doing an excellent job in managing my expectations !
I had planned to use the card as my default for $online purchases but will now reconsider.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 1:50 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by libscouse
I signed up to this card last week and it just arrived, so all this is new to me, but you're all doing an excellent job in managing my expectations !
I had planned to use the card as my default for $online purchases but will now reconsider.
Get your initial perks and then get out.
You'll quickly find ( as you’ve probably gathered) that any kind of contact with the morons at Creation is a mind numbingly frustrating experience!
Old Mar 1, 2019, 1:54 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Etihad Gold, IHG Platinum, IC Ambasador, Marriott Gold, Taj Gold, Radisson Gold
Not bad value

Originally Posted by kitbag1984
As it stands the card is poor value. 10K for a one night stay. If the fee is waved then it is good for one years use, esp with the potential to earn 50000 pc points as well.

However I also cant see the fee free year being spoken of anywhere?
For your 10k, you will also be earning points on the spend

And the card comes with platinum status

It is the best option in the UK, for free hotel nights
Old Mar 1, 2019, 1:57 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Etihad Gold, IHG Platinum, IC Ambasador, Marriott Gold, Taj Gold, Radisson Gold
Amazing IC hotels in Europe

Originally Posted by kitbag1984
This is a good point, its just a shame that there are not that many ICs in the UK. When you add to that the fee and the 10k spend it doesnt seem that worthwhile. However on the plus side it is a visa card and therefore accepted in more places than an AMEX.
There are some amazing IC hotels in Europe. Paris and Amsterdam hotels are great
Old Mar 1, 2019, 1:59 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
If you want Platinum or Spire status quickly, this may be a far better option;

https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/de...b/instantspire

Try Spire Elite for 90 days as soon as you join or register.
Simply stay a few nights to keep your Spire Elite status:

Stay 10 nights (instead of 75) in 90 days and keep Spire Elite status.

Stay 5 nights (instead of 40) in 90 days and keep Platinum Elite status.

Last edited by adobbing; Mar 1, 2019 at 2:37 am
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:32 am

For me it was a toss up between the fee free one and this one, but when i calculated i spent 9k on my M&S card last year (which had its points reduced a few years back) it seemed worth it for a one year try out.
There's probably a more efficient AMEX point grinding alternative but I've never chased airmiles or hotel points before, so this side of things is completely new.

I am going to put some effort in this year to see how it goes with the IHG rewards and the combination of the initial rewards offers, 50% boosted points and the intro/1year offer seemed reasonable to complement that, and certainly better than my previous cc.

Is it easy it to cancel around the anniversary/avoid second year fee/get your 10k free night voucher, as an exit strategy?
Old Mar 1, 2019, 4:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by enox5
For your 10k, you will also be earning points on the spend

And the card comes with platinum status

It is the best option in the UK, for free hotel nights
Yes that is very true. Unfortunately this is THE card if not the ONLY card in UK for hotel free nights. The UK credit card offering is miserable. I am going to keep this card as long as there is no other options.

This card is also handy for other emergencies, where AmEx is not accepted.

Overall I am happy with the card, just get a little annoyed with small things, which I can cope with.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 4:45 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
For all the distractors, there is a reality to be faced here in the U.K. this is the very best loyalty credit card offering outside the AMEX world. AMEX points are of course very good, it’s points are valuable and convertible, it also has the BA and SPG Card, both of which are well worthwhile if you’re a BA flyer or a, um, Bonvoy’er (is that even a word?) but AMEX is by no means universally accepted here in the U.K. I have a SPG AMEX and regularly find when presenting the card the machine bleeps “card not read” which is a machines way of saying “we don’t take AMEX”. Unlike America, you can’t pay everywhere with AMEX. And outside the AMEX world the IHG Mastercard represents the very best pointgrinder. My £10,000 spent gets me an annual “anywhere” hotel e-cert that I always manage to redeem at least £200, 22,000 points that are easily redeemable for £100 and as those points are qualifying I then make Spire via a total of 75,000 qualifying points gaining me another 25,000 points worth another £120. So that’s a £100 annual fee that makes at least £400 returns annually. In reality last year my redemptions ran at 0.7p per point and the e-cert saved me £300 meaning my rebate was £630.

Yes, sometimes the double points doesn’t go through, posting dates are all over the place but it could be far worse. I remember my relief when Creation took over Marriotts credit card from Halifax who repeatedly rejected transactions and point-shorted. And I was no Chrism who’s plaguing of Barclays over shortcomings in its iteration of the IHG card remains the stuff of legends!

In short, even with its shortcomings this is a darn good card for the U.K. market and should be in the wallet of any serious IHG pointshound.

Keefy-boy likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
I remember my relief when Creation took over Marriotts credit card from Halifax who repeatedly rejected transactions and point-shorted. And I was no Chrism who’s plaguing of Barclays over shortcomings in its iteration of the IHG card remains the stuff of legends!

In short, even with its shortcomings this is a darn good card for the U.K. market and should be in the wallet of any serious IHG pointshound.

Yes I remember the Halifax Marriott card. I had for several years. When it switched hands, I did not renew.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:45 am

If anyone has completed the 20k points signup bonus recently/with Creation - is it triggered soon after the spend passes the requirement, once the statement is subsequently issued, or do you need to wait for the whole 90days before even thinking about getting it

thanks
Old Mar 1, 2019, 5:13 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
I agree with the last few comments above.

It is a worthwhile card to have and I definitely get my use out of it. To me it’s certainly worth the £99 annual fee and as someone said above if you use your free night on an expensive stay (I’ve used this years on IC in NYC which was about $350) then along with the additional points etc it’s worth it in my opinion.

admittedly, creation do have their faults and are certainly not the best company to deal with. Try reading their reviews on Trustpilot, that makes interesting reading! I’ve had issues with points not posting etc but it’s usually sorted out either by them or the IHG call centre. I did have a complaint where I ended up having to escalate it to the financial ombudsman as creation were clearly in the wrong but were adamant they weren’t. The ombudsman agreed with me though so in the end Creation had to cough up. Despite that though, the rewards outweigh the issues in my view.
FlyerTalker688786 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 5:19 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bénéfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.
I see ihg are running a competition to win one of seven ‘Priceless City Breaks’ for contactless use of the Creation ihg Rewards Club Mastercard between 1st March 2019 and 15th of April 2019.

I noticed it when I logged into my Creation ihg account this morning, but details are also on the ihg website here:

https://www.ihg.com/content/gb/en/de...24872Priceless

Top prize is a 4 night break including Premium Economy flights at the IC New York Times Square. 6 runners up prizes of a 2 night break either at the Kimpton London, IC Berlin or CP Milan including Economy travel.

I must remember to use it contactlessly this month!

BM
Old Mar 9, 2019, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by libscouse
If anyone has completed the 20k points signup bonus recently/with Creation - is it triggered soon after the spend passes the requirement, once the statement is subsequently issued, or do you need to wait for the whole 90days before even thinking about getting it

thanks
I got mine in the following statement

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.