IHG Premium Visa card [UK] (was PC Rewards Black Visa Card)

Old Apr 15, 2015, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by rrrrrich
I foolishly got rid of this card about 5 months ago. Any idea how long to wait to be eligible for a points sign up bonus? I'm really after Plat when I drop down in May but points willbe a bonus if the sign up improves.
6 months generally ok
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:10 am

Hi everyone

I've been going through my statements from the last few months and have noticed something a little strange and was wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

As an example using my January statement I spent £1029 in total. There were no refunds or anything so there should be no adjustments etc. This should give a base points total of 2058 going to my IHG account.

I have received 1861 base points which is 197 short.

The hotel spend on the statement was £311 which equates to 622 hotel points, I have received 640 so have been overpaid 18 points.

So in total that month it is 179 points short.

Not a lot I know but that is one month in isolation which admittedly is my quietest month of the year for travel.

Going back six months every one appears to be short of somewhere between 150 and 700 points.

I had been keeping check using a spreadsheet for the hotel points which admittedly never seem to be far out, however from what I can see there is an issue with my base points as well.

Has anyone noticed anything similar?
Old Apr 15, 2015, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by chrism20
Hi everyone

I've been going through my statements from the last few months and have noticed something a little strange and was wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

As an example using my January statement I spent £1029 in total. There were no refunds or anything so there should be no adjustments etc. This should give a base points total of 2058 going to my IHG account.

I have received 1861 base points which is 197 short.

The hotel spend on the statement was £311 which equates to 622 hotel points, I have received 640 so have been overpaid 18 points.

So in total that month it is 179 points short.

Not a lot I know but that is one month in isolation which admittedly is my quietest month of the year for travel.

Going back six months every one appears to be short of somewhere between 150 and 700 points.

I had been keeping check using a spreadsheet for the hotel points which admittedly never seem to be far out, however from what I can see there is an issue with my base points as well.

Has anyone noticed anything similar?
For the January one, have you included the £99 annual fee in your calculation? Looks like a possible explanation to me.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by strayersong
For the January one, have you included the £99 annual fee in your calculation? Looks like a possible explanation to me.
No, that was in February and it shows up in the interest and charges line rather than purchases.

It appears to be out every month which is bizarre.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 10:35 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
I think it's them sending you a signal that they'd like to pay you more compensation, chrism20
Old Apr 16, 2015, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by EDIflyer
I think it's them sending you a signal that they'd like to pay you more compensation, chrism20
I'm seriously tempted to ask for a refund of the fee and cancel the card. It's quite comical actually as to why there appears to be a constant problem.

Tbh had my March statement not shown zero hotel points I wouldn't have thought of check it in great detail.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 4:34 am

Programs: Some, not all.
Are points not awarded per transaction and rounded down? I know they are with Amex.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 6:13 am

I'm seriously tempted to ask for a refund of the fee and cancel the card. It's quite comical actually as to why there appears to be a constant problem.

Tbh had my March statement not shown zero hotel points I wouldn't have thought of check it in great detail.
That's what I did a couple of months ago - am abroad for a good chunk of time this year so even with the increased earning rate on forex transactions didn't think it was worth hanging onto (have got Plat anyway thanks to the sign-up bonus + spend last year). Downgraded to the free card with annual fee refund and will shortly be cancelling it too!
Old Apr 16, 2015, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by 21H21J
Are points not awarded per transaction and rounded down? I know they are with Amex.
Possibly but even if they are some months are short up to 700 points with approximately 40 transactions on the statement which would equate to 80 points if rounding down. Then there are some months that the hotel points are over as they were in January which would suggest rounding up rather than down.

I honestly haven't got a clue tbh and the 4x points for hotels still aren't adding correctly despite a letter from the Executive Office back in September of last year advising that this issue would be sorted soon.

Originally Posted by EDIflyer
That's what I did a couple of months ago - am abroad for a good chunk of time this year so even with the increased earning rate on forex transactions didn't think it was worth hanging onto (have got Plat anyway thanks to the sign-up bonus + spend last year). Downgraded to the free card with annual fee refund and will shortly be cancelling it too!
Yes it's tempting to do although I have had tremendous value from the free nights. NYE 2013 I used it at IC in New York and have PL booked for this year already - the Best Flex rate for PL was £489 when I checked last week so in that respect it's worth the £99 and once I've achieved the £10k spend it will go back in the sock drawer and I'll look for something else.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 7:13 am

Yes it's tempting to do although I have had tremendous value from the free nights. NYE 2013 I used it at IC in New York and have PL booked for this year already - the Best Flex rate for PL was £489 when I checked last week so in that respect it's worth the £99 and once I've achieved the £10k spend it will go back in the sock drawer and I'll look for something else.
Excellent value!! Sadly not sure great vfm available where I am just now, but still have a voucher to use up. Plan to reopen the card again in Jan to regain Plat and hopefully get another sign-up bonus! Have shifted my spending onto the Lloyds Avios card this year - £7k spend for upgrade voucher and Avios with no fee on forex transactions. They even manage to post them correctly and promptly, although as usual Avios.com created a new account rather than using my existing one so that took a bit to sort out.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
You can't value free nights at more than $350 because you can buy 50,000 for that via 'cash and points and cancel'.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 4:11 pm

If I take this card out, get the 60K and add another 15k through stays, will I then be ok for the new higher tier level?
Old Apr 16, 2015, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by kitbag1984
If I take this card out, get the 60K and add another 15k through stays, will I then be ok for the new higher tier level?
At the moment when the sign up points are dropping into people's accounts in the UK they are showing as qualifying.

When I messaged IHGSteve the other day regarding the changes he said it didn't count and was going to to check after I said I could see my colleagues account whilst speaking with him and they were definitely qualifying.

Is the bonus still 60k? When I logged onto Barclaycard yesterday I'm sure it said 20k sign up bonus.

So if it doesn't count and the qualifying points are changed to non qualifying points there will be some unhappy people out there.

And if they do count there will be some unhappy people out there who have to wait and actually stay to get to 75k who won't be happy.

Either way at the moment it looks like one group isn't going to be happy.

If you are looking to take out a new card and can get it on the 60k offer that is a good deal. Make sure you spend on it straightaway though so that the points hit your account before July 1st. Also if they show up as qualifying make sure you get a screenshot of it saying that as it may be required if what has been said about it being non qualifying.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 1:46 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't find an answer. I'm going to get my other half to apply for the card, can her card be linked to my rewards account so we pool the points?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 2:07 am

Programs: PC Platinum, CC Gold Elite, VS Red
Is the bonus still 60k? When I logged onto Barclaycard yesterday I'm sure it said 20k sign up bonus.
From memory, 60k ended 31st March

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.