IHG Premium Visa card [UK] (was PC Rewards Black Visa Card)

Old Jan 27, 12, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
To add to the inconsistencies, the card homepage is offering a night at any StaybridgeSuites for 20,000 points, a night at a Holiday Inn for 10,000, a night in any Hotel Indigo for 25,000 points.

Well, perhaps ...

Or do they mean only available for a short time when phoning PCR?
Old Jan 27, 12, 3:57 pm

Programs: ICH Spire/Amb HH Dia, LCAH Plat, Marriot/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
From the Card Comparison page, there's this snippet:

Free nights earned (annually) up to 1**(Standard Card) up to 3†† (Black Card)
Any thoughts on where they're getting that from? It says it includes the free night voucher but I don't see anything else, unless there's a limit on the number of points you can earn - I guess if you can only earn 100,000 points that'd be a hard limit of 3 nights, but there won't be that many people spending >£200k who are using a PCR Visa card to do it with!
Old Jan 28, 12, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Check the ** and †† (and †).

** Figures based on 12% spend at IHG hotels earning 2,400 bonus points, 11% of spend abroad earning 1,100 bonus points and 77% everywhere else earning 7,700 bonus points over a 12 month period.
† Figures based on 12% spend at IHG hotels earning 4,800 bonus points, 11% of spend abroad earning 4,400 bonus points and 77% everywhere else earning 15,400 bonus points over a 12 month period.
†† Free nights earned (annually) include a free night voucher for spending £10,000 on the Priority Club Rewards Black Visa. Figures correct 25/05/11.

I'd like the 4x for IHG spend and 4x for foreign spend to be amalgamated to give 8x for spend at foreign IHG hotels.
Old Jan 28, 12, 9:50 am

PC Black Visa - might be worth waiting!!

Already a PCR Visa card holder and got the initial invite to swop over with the benefits alreday mentioned a couple of weeks ago. Just received another invitation to transfer, this time offering 20,000PC points and free year fee free
(they bill you £99 then credit it the following month). 20,000 points credited after first spend. Sound like those interested might hang on until a better offer drops through the door!! I guess the offer may be targeted so not sure everyone will get it?
Old Jan 28, 12, 11:15 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Called the above number and was told that the £99 fee is waived for everyone and anyone applying in January only. I was also told that if I didn't receive the letter specifically offering 40,000 points (I haven't received it) then I would only get 20,000 points for upgrading my existing PCR Visa.
Old Jan 28, 12, 11:29 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador
I've tried multiple times to upgrade online (I have a mailed invite), the system keeps falling over at the end of the process saying 'unexpected error' call this number. I called the number, bloke was very unhelpful, said they knew there was a problem and it would be fixed within 48 hours. Well it hasn't been!

Last edited by Keefy-boy; Jan 28, 12 at 11:38 am
Old Jan 28, 12, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Keefy-boy View Post
I've tried multiple times to upgrade online (I have a mailed invite), the system keeps falling over at the end of the process saying 'unexpected error' call this number. I called the number, bloke was very unhelpful, said they knew there was a problem and it would be fixed within 48 hours. Well it hasn't been!
I got exactly the same. Right at the end the same error message. Thankfully I got a way to sort it out.

I rang up the number and got a helpful lady. She told me that some accounts that had been blocked in previous years (I think mine had in 2008 when there was something fraudulent happened) couldnt be upgraded. Something to do with their system. Aaah its all the 'systems fault'... I glazed over and had a bit of a moan with her about how much hassle the whole process is (and some other grievances I had) so can't say I 100% recall the logic of what she was saying. But it made sense at the time & it is irrelevant given her work around was successful.

What I needed to do was to create another profile - i.e. act as if I didn't have online servicing. So I set up my account again (using information slightly different to when I did it before - she said don't have everything the same). It took < 5minutes & I was able to fully complete the process. I got an instant confirmation and the Card took about 5 days to be received.

Hope this sorts out your issues too.
Old Jan 28, 12, 4:35 pm

Programs: ICH Spire/Amb HH Dia, LCAH Plat, Marriot/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Check the ** and †† (and †).

** Figures based on 12% spend at IHG hotels earning 2,400 bonus points, 11% of spend abroad earning 1,100 bonus points and 77% everywhere else earning 7,700 bonus points over a 12 month period.
† Figures based on 12% spend at IHG hotels earning 4,800 bonus points, 11% of spend abroad earning 4,400 bonus points and 77% everywhere else earning 15,400 bonus points over a 12 month period.
†† Free nights earned (annually) include a free night voucher for spending £10,000 on the Priority Club Rewards Black Visa. Figures correct 25/05/11.

I'd like the 4x for IHG spend and 4x for foreign spend to be amalgamated to give 8x for spend at foreign IHG hotels.
Hmm. I read those, but I don't see how that gets you to 3 nights. Following their own figures it's 24k and change, and surely they can't be saying that 3 nights = the free night voucher and 2x10k HI redemptions?
Old Jan 29, 12, 3:34 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by mister.c. View Post
I got exactly the same. Right at the end the same error message. Thankfully I got a way to sort it out.

I rang up the number and got a helpful lady. She told me that some accounts that had been blocked in previous years (I think mine had in 2008 when there was something fraudulent happened) couldnt be upgraded. Something to do with their system. Aaah its all the 'systems fault'... I glazed over and had a bit of a moan with her about how much hassle the whole process is (and some other grievances I had) so can't say I 100% recall the logic of what she was saying. But it made sense at the time & it is irrelevant given her work around was successful.

What I needed to do was to create another profile - i.e. act as if I didn't have online servicing. So I set up my account again (using information slightly different to when I did it before - she said don't have everything the same). It took < 5minutes & I was able to fully complete the process. I got an instant confirmation and the Card took about 5 days to be received.

Hope this sorts out your issues too.
Thanks I'll try that. My card was compromised and replaced a couple of month's ago, so it sounds like that is the same problem as you.
Old Jan 31, 12, 3:37 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Just to add I've been using the standard card with them for a couple of months and the online account servicing is useless apart from making payments. I called them to ask where my initial bonus points and all other accumulated points are only to be told they will take around 8 weeks after the first statement.

A broken system here and for that reason I will not be even trying to waste my time with the black card.
Old Feb 5, 12, 11:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold, Virgin FC Red
Upgrade then Downgrade

My other half who is an active PC Rewards credit card holder has been offered 25k points and a year fee free to upgrade to Black.

This is tempting, although she wants to keep a PC credit card longer than a year and also not pay the annual fee. So I wondered... any chance of being able to downgrade to the standard card after say 11 months?
Old Feb 5, 12, 12:22 pm

Programs: VS, Carlson/SPG/Marriott Gold VA/IHG/LeClub Platinum OZ/HH Diamond(+) BA Silver QF NB
Has anyone had any points credit from the new Black card yet?

Before I upgraded in December, the points used to credit my Priority Club account 3 days after the card statement was issued. Since I upgraded not a cracker.

I called PC-Barclaycard and checked - they have the right number - told me it normally takes 4 to 6 weeks (which if true, is a massive downgrade in service). When I questioned that, I eventually got bumped up to someone who wasn't reading a script who said they'd probably credit within the next week, and that she'd call me back then to check.

They haven't, and she didn't
Old Feb 6, 12, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just wasted a few minutes trying to get an invitation for the 40k/first year free offer. (Mrs Roger already accepted the 25k/first year free upgrade offer.)

I used the 0800 number to get through to Barclays. No go, but the helpful person offered to connect me to the loyalty dept - which turned out to be the Philippines PC office.

The person there just couldn't grasp the notion of a paper/mail/post/letter invitation and just read out her interpretation of the offer (20k/fee payable) and kept on talking about e-mail. (Late readers: the refund of the first year's fee is only available to people who had the snailmail invitation.)

So no go unless I use the FT mantra and call again. Now, are the 40k points worth £99? Maybe. It's a night in some ICs.

At least Barclays paid for the call.
Old Feb 6, 12, 11:56 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Well very very sneaky PC Visa. Upgraded about 10 days ago per the mailing so we will get the £99 fee refunded. However my statement cut off date is 5th of the month. So, visa have very cleverly debited the £99 fee on 5th. Now as they collect the amount in full by direct debit, this means I will physically have to pay this amount next month.

OK, I know I will (hopefully) get a refund this month but I don't know whether this is coincidence or clever tactics from PC
Old Feb 19, 12, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by c2lass View Post
Well very very sneaky PC Visa. Upgraded about 10 days ago per the mailing so we will get the £99 fee refunded. However my statement cut off date is 5th of the month. So, visa have very cleverly debited the £99 fee on 5th. Now as they collect the amount in full by direct debit, this means I will physically have to pay this amount next month.

OK, I know I will (hopefully) get a refund this month but I don't know whether this is coincidence or clever tactics from PC
Have you received the refund at all yet?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: