IHG Premium Visa card [UK] (was PC Rewards Black Visa Card)

Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by whiskerxx
I emailed executive office 4th April, as i had just passed through the 10k barrier and wanted to ensure that the free night posted.
I received a telephone call on 8th about the same.
I was advised that the free night would not now post. I explained what I intended to use it for and the cost of the room per night. Without hesitation I was advised that I would be credited with that cash amount and asked if I wanted it paid to a bank account, a cheque sent or a credit on my statement. I thought that the latter was likely to be the easiest to process and asked for a statement credit. It was in my account a couple of days later.
(for reference - I had a genuine need for a room at IC HK, and the room was quite expensive!)
I was also advised that my account would be credited on a pro rata basis for the annual fee, after the account had been closed for transactions.
n.b. the person I spoke to seemed a bit unsure about most things, but delivered what he said he would.
I hope you told him that the night you were looking at was £500.

I'll be very surprised if the free night doesn't post to your account if you meet the criteria.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 4:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by chrism20
I hope you told him that the night you were looking at was £500.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:03 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
A further data point. I called last night once I knew my spend to the end date, which was just under £7k since my last annual fee.

I argued on the basis of tangible loss for the value of the hotel night, rather than on a 60k points value for an IC redemption because I felt that was easier to show on an actual monetary value, plus a total refund of the annual fee which I would not have paid had I known that the card would be withdrawn before I could meet the free night requirement.

I ended up speaking to a "Customer Relationship Manager". The conversation took about 20 minutes, it was professional and polite on both sides once we got past the obfuscation about points earned so far, and at the end I was offered a total refund of the card fee (which was never disputed) and an additional £201 in compensation for the lost night.

That compared to my request for £280 for the free night, based on 70% of the average £400 value for the IC Park Lane - which I felt was a viable option to choose given I've redeemed my night there before.

I think what helped is that I was absolutely clear what I wanted, I used the right legal language, I totally ruled out the first offer, and I talked about the lack of notice and how that was likely to be viewed by the Ombudsman.

Had I just accepted a pro-rate refund of the fee, I'd have got about £60 back, so certainly well worth the conversation!

I think I'll probably settle for this rather than complain further, given if Barclaycard decide to dispute this at the Ombudsman stage they could equally reasonably argue that 60k points for an IC redemption would be worth £330 at current exchange rates if I bought them (so 70% would be worth £231), plus I've probably already earned an additional 8k or so points compared to holding the non-fee card - value £44. On that basis I'm slightly up in compensation terms.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 4:18 am

Programs: IHG Plat Visa IHG Plat Mastercard
I am still waiting for my statement dated 18 April 2017 to appear online - a cut and paste secure message from Barclaycard is the usual drivel - in fact, they "attempted to telephone me" after I specifically asked them not to!

Cue: a further complaint about the complaint.

Of course, I can see the balance, the points, the latest transactions, but that's not the point.

Anyone else had problems ( assuming your statement date is around now)?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 4:34 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
According to the "Activity Summary" near the bottom, I've had my April statement, but there's no PDF of it shown when I click to expand. According to the "Last Statement" part near the top, and the "Last Statement" menu item, my last statement was just over a month ago in March...
Old Apr 22, 2017, 4:27 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
According to the "Activity Summary" near the bottom, I've had my April statement, but there's no PDF of it shown when I click to expand. According to the "Last Statement" part near the top, and the "Last Statement" menu item, my last statement was just over a month ago in March...
Today the barclaycard website now admits to there being an April statement, but when I try to view it says "Your April 2017 statement is on the way"....
Old Apr 22, 2017, 11:04 am

Without meaning to turn this thread into a monologue...

I believe that has just pushed my over the magic 10k line for this year. Anyone know if there's an easy / quick way to check, in case I need to overpay something by a few pounds if I'm just out?
I emailed Barclaycard just after this post, and asked them if they could confirm if I'd hit the 10k or not. I got some nonsense reply back from them, as we've somewhat come to expect. Pushed back on that, and got this reply today:

In reference to your email, I have checked your account and confirm that you have qualified for free night voucher as you have spent more than £10,000.00 required to qualify for the voucher.

In view of the circumstances, I will be able to credit your Barclaycard account with £25.00 as a token of apology for the inconvenience caused to you and wrong information provided by my previous colleague.
So, I now have it in writing that I've spent the 10k in time and should get the free night voucher, in case they later decide they're not giving them out any more. Also free 25 quid for them being typically useless!
Old Apr 22, 2017, 3:09 pm

So, I now have it in writing that I've spent the 10k in time and should get the free night voucher, in case they later decide they're not giving them out any more. Also free 25 quid for them being typically useless!
Im sure you will probably already have done it but if you have messaged them via the secure messaging service on the Barclaycard website make sure that you screenshot it as they automatically delete after a set period of time and conveniently about six months ago they reduced that set period of time so they now disappear quicker than they used to.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by chrism20
Im sure you will probably already have done it but if you have messaged them via the secure messaging service on the Barclaycard website make sure that you screenshot it as they automatically delete after a set period of time and conveniently about six months ago they reduced that set period of time so they now disappear quicker than they used to.
The secure messaging service seems to be staffed by dopes. The Social Media Team email (wr@barclaycard...) is a much better way to contact them in my experience...
Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by shorthauldad
The secure messaging service seems to be staffed by dopes. The Social Media Team email (wr@barclaycard...) is a much better way to contact them in my experience...
I definitely agree with that. The only thing the secure messaging service is good for is a quick £25/£50 credit to your account.

The SM team are actually pretty good, they can also phone you if they need a bit more information about your posts and start of an investigation before passing it on to the correct team. They seem to have some autonomy which is good.

Barclays social media team (different lot of staff) are also pretty good tbh. They can sort out some stuff for you and can also phone out.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: Nandos Chillis
Earned the free night ages ago. Rang up, got a £100 credit compensation in addition to the pro rata fee refund and a credit transfer over to the 0% Platinum I already hold. They were keen to push me onto the Freedom card but it's not my cup of tea.

The cashback card is also an option if you persist, but it's Visa only at 0.5%.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:52 am

Programs: IHG Plat Visa IHG Plat Mastercard
My black creation mastercard has now transferred 20k activation points plus my initial spend points to my IHG account. Indeed, they appeared the day before my 22 April statement was issued, so that's an improvement on Barclaycard.

However, my white creation card has not yet transferred the 10k bonus points from the 22 March statement. Obviously, I queried this in March and received a cut and paste reply which looked as if I had to wait until the next month's statement appeared.

This was not the case with the black card as the qualifying £200 spend was on the April statement. I have sent a complaint by secure message but wondered has anyone else had a similar experience ?

Last edited by igc324; Apr 25, 2017 at 2:59 am
Old Apr 25, 2017, 3:17 am

Logging into my IHG account today, I was pleasantly surprised to spot this transaction entry:

25-Apr-2017 | Other | Barclaycard Free Night

Checking https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/gb/e...e-night-status also shows one free night with Booking Dates of 25-Apr-2017 - 05-May-2018.

So, anyone else who hit the 10k spend just before the cut-off should check their IHG accounts, and hopefully be pleasantly surprised. Especially the person who got the 300 quid for the fact the free night wasn't supposedly happening any more!
Old Apr 25, 2017, 6:41 am

Programs: BA Gold
Logging into my IHG account today, I was pleasantly surprised to spot this transaction entry:

25-Apr-2017 | Other | Barclaycard Free Night

Checking https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/gb/e...e-night-status also shows one free night with Booking Dates of 25-Apr-2017 - 05-May-2018.

So, anyone else who hit the 10k spend just before the cut-off should check their IHG accounts, and hopefully be pleasantly surprised. Especially the person who got the 300 quid for the fact the free night wasn't supposedly happening any more!
Not sure if I am the person you are referring to, but my free night hasn't posted (which is correct).
The amount was a little bit more than that, and enabled me to book some nights taking the benefit of the 20% discount for cash + points offer, effectively doubling my benefit!
Old Apr 25, 2017, 11:15 am

Logging into my IHG account (...) So, anyone else who hit the 10k spend just before the cut-off should check their IHG accounts, and hopefully be pleasantly surprised.
Code:
25-Apr-2017	|	Other	|	Barclaycard Free Night
"Me, too"

Thank you!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.