Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Free Night Certificate Usage new style BOGO / BOGOF (Feb. 10 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free Night Certificate Usage new style BOGO / BOGOF (Feb. 10 onward)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2014, 12:40 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Thank you scubaccr for your quick reply.

I also received a PM saying I should email hotel in question (HKG), so I did that. Of course it's middle of the night there, but hopefully I'll get an answer tonight.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 7:22 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question where to use free weekend night & other queries

I am looking for the best way to use my free weekend night cert?

I am YOW-based, so YUL/YYZ are my closest options. NYC is also an option?

Two related questions:

- IHG has said the 1st (paid) night must be booked on their rate plan? For example, I tried the Venetian (LAS) but their rate was ridiculous ($203 US). If so, this is a change since I last used a free night reward (I have booked on the gov't rate) and this does affect the value of the benefit? (NB They also advised club room stays are eligible, a plus if I can find where to use it? LHR?).

- the expiry on my cert is Feb 28, 2015, but I am told that hotel managers have the discretion to extend this? Any success with this (Easter?)
Old Dec 17, 2014, 5:29 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
IHG has said the 1st (paid) night must be booked on their rate plan? For example, I tried the Venetian (LAS) but their rate was ridiculous ($203 US). If so, this is a change since I last used a free night reward (I have booked on the gov't rate) and this does affect the value of the benefit? (NB They also advised club room stays are eligible, a plus if I can find where to use it? LHR?)
The only fare that allows the usage of the BOGO certificate is the Ambassador one bookable through this link : www.intercontinental.com/ambweekend
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:02 pm

Programs: IC Spire Amb, RC Plat, Shangri-La GC, and more.
In previous years I've used this cert for regular rooms, but just noticed that suites seem to be eligible. Not sure if I never noticed this, or just wasn't looking. Booked an oceanfront one bedroom at IC Monterey!

The cert is an incredible value if used this way!
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:53 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Whether suites are offered or not at the Ambassador rate seems to depend on the property. I also know IC Bali, IC HKG, IC London and some others to offer them.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2Millon Mile Flyer, IC Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle, Bonvoy Gold
I’m booked for a BOGO stay this weekend in SYD. The rates have dropped significantly since booking, so i went back to update the reservation. I based this on the Best Available Rate. The website said “Ambassador Weekend Rate Unavailable.” In all my years as a RA, I’ve never heard of BOGO’s bring capacity controlled. Has anyone else heard of this?
Old Feb 28, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: IC/AMB - Diamond Elite, AC E50K, AA, AM-Onyx, HH-Diamond, BW, Choice - Gold
Originally Posted by PremExecSNA
I’m booked for a BOGO stay this weekend in SYD. The rates have dropped significantly since booking, so i went back to update the reservation. I based this on the Best Available Rate. The website said “Ambassador Weekend Rate Unavailable.” In all my years as a RA, I’ve never heard of BOGO’s bring capacity controlled. Has anyone else heard of this?
Ambassador Free Weekend Night Certificates have always been capacity controlled. As per the Ambassador T&Cs:

"Advance reservations required. Rooms on the Ambassador 'Weekend rate' are subject to availability."
Old Feb 28, 2018, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA Platinum; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Bog o rate has been unavailable plenty of times.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 11:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Yep. AMB BOGO is more like 25% off two nights. The rate is almost never competitive.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 12:50 am

Programs: UA 1K 2Millon Mile Flyer, IC Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle, Bonvoy Gold
Thanks everyone for the quick responses! I guess I’ve been extremely luck up to this point. Cheers!
Old Mar 1, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by PremExecSNA
Yes bogo capacity controlled since switch some years ago to pre-booking on flex rates , unlike before handing in at checkin.,

Also if you were looking to reprice/cancel/rebook 1week out before arrival, you could find hotel delists bogo rooms 7-10days out. thus you need to reprice at least 2weeks out. I have seen IC-Paris-LG/IC-ParkLane bogo both open until 3days before arrival and also not available months out.

For me if an IC drops room rates in the 30days before a stay due tolow occupancy, I often find booking 2x corp rate nights is less than a bogo booked 6months or more out and simply book corp rate and cancel my bogo booking .

Any rate booked 6months or more out is often reduced if hotel has too many unsold rooms 30days out, and one should really check+rebook 2months/1month/2weeks if on a flexible rate booking.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:51 pm

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Originally Posted by lotrbfme
Yep. AMB BOGO is more like 25% off two nights. The rate is almost never competitive.
Agreed, looking at AMB BOGO at NYC IC Barclay, regular rate is $314, but AMB BOGO is $399 (Club $499)... No bargain by any stretch.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by lotrbfme
At the IC Yokohama the first night was 42k Yen and the second would have been 60k or so. And the prizing without cert was just a couple k less per night. So with cery I paid 42k without cert the 2 nights would have been around 100k.
There is value but you need to check
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:13 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by blitzen
At the IC Yokohama the first night was 42k Yen and the second would have been 60k or so. And the prizing without cert was just a couple k less per night. So with cery I paid 42k without cert the 2 nights would have been around 100k.
There is value but you need to check
Japan is one of the places where the BOGO can still be good value. Lots of people do staycations, and hotels are packed on Saturday nights, and therefore much pricier than on regular nights. If you can use your BOGO on a Fri-Sun stay, you pay the (much lower) Friday night and get the (much higher) Saturday night for free. For instance, I spend a weekend at IC Osaka last Fall, and paid 22k yen for Friday and Saturday would have been 45k.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by jpdx
Japan is one of the places where the BOGO can still be good value. Lots of people do staycations, and hotels are packed on Saturday nights, and therefore much pricier than on regular nights. If you can use your BOGO on a Fri-Sun stay, you pay the (much lower) Friday night and get the (much higher) Saturday night for free. For instance, I spend a weekend at IC Osaka last Fall, and paid 22k yen for Friday and Saturday would have been 45k.
noticed that the Sat-Sun was always way more expensive. Can you recommend the IC Osaka?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.