Wiki Posts
Search

Holiday Inn Resort Mai Khao Phuket [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BMI/SQ/AFKL/PC RAmbo®/Oyster/B&Q
Holiday Inn Resort Mai Khao Phuket [Master Thread]

Its new,it's fresh ,it's relatively remote and has good reviews on Tripadvisor ....and I have a booking.SO the big question is,has anyone on FT actually stayed here? If so-reports welcome ...
Old Dec 19, 2011, 2:37 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Going on Jan, 8, will report back.

Replies to email requests were quick, polite and competent.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
Going on Jan, 8, will report back.

Replies to email requests were quick, polite and competent.

Good to hear re the emails. I'm there this Saturday going largely by external reviews and the pressing need to book 'somewhere' aside from the overpriced and unfortunately located Patong property .Anyway the booking promptly gained 'call for details' status which is usually a good sign.New hotels invariably treat status more seriously - so fingers crossed
Old Dec 19, 2011, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by docklander
Good to hear re the emails. I'm there this Saturday going largely by external reviews and the pressing need to book 'somewhere' aside from the overpriced and unfortunately located Patong property .Anyway the booking promptly gained 'call for details' status which is usually a good sign.New hotels invariably treat status more seriously - so fingers crossed
Good to hear - so I am now looking forward to your review. We use points - 15k instead of a 180 € room rate is a deal hard to beat.

Have a great time!
Old Jan 17, 2012, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Good to hear - so I am now looking forward to your review. We use points - 15k instead of a 180 € room rate is a deal hard to beat.

Have a great time!

Thanks-and i did

Brief synopsis -

Decent resort in the quiet northern part of the island ,encroaching into a National Park with a great empty beach - Waves are dumpers and theres quite a bit of undertow.So not child friendly sea swimming but nevertheless quite invigorating compared to the other resort areas on Phuket...

-Got a double upgrade from king terrace to Junior Suite - nicely done rooms

-Nice pool area

-Good buffet breakie

-Italian resto was ok but slow .For Thai food ,the restaurant next door is better

-Amazingly hospitable staff

-Layout reminiscent of IC HuaHin

-Away from it all and perfect if you just want to chill-

......otherwise you need transport ....ideally a car rental or it's the taxi mafia located outside the gates with a menu of fairly extortionate rates to Phuket town,Kata/Karon etc etc

.....eg took taxi meter cab from airport for 350 THB....return was 600THB.Journey time 10-15 minutes.

-All in all a welcome addition to IHG's sparse offerings on Phuket
Old Mar 2, 2012, 8:39 pm

Programs: AC AP, Priority Club Platinum, Hertz President's Circle, National Executive
Thanks for the review.

What about you Chinatrvl...how was it?

I am a solo traveler and considering booking this property. Looked at the HI at Patong, but really want to chill and get away from it all. I will get my fill of action in BKK.

What do you say...is this a good property for a solo traveler for a few days. Will I look out of place amongst the families and helpless romantics?

Also for 15,000 points it seems like a very good deal to use points here.

Thanks
Old Mar 2, 2012, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by wannagoexplore
Thanks for the review.

What about you Chinatrvl...how was it?

I am a solo traveler and considering booking this property. Looked at the HI at Patong, but really want to chill and get away from it all. I will get my fill of action in BKK.

What do you say...is this a good property for a solo traveler for a few days. Will I look out of place amongst the families and helpless romantics?

Also for 15,000 points it seems like a very good deal to use points here.

Thanks
I can recommend the property, despite I wouldn't go back (I think a need a CP as minimum standard for resorts ). I have posted an arguably critical report here, but assume many issues have been sorted out by now:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...t17797033.html

For getting away from everything, this is the ideal spot (within the HI price category). I suggest getting a car (book in advance!!) to avoid the taxi mafia. There are several nice restaurants going towards the bridge and at the yacht club/marina (10-20 min drive), when you fancy dining outside the resort.

You'll be fine as solo traveller there, but don't expect much action - but it seems like that's what you are looking for anyway

Last edited by Chinatrvl; Mar 2, 2012 at 8:56 pm
Old Mar 2, 2012, 9:15 pm

Programs: AC AP, Priority Club Platinum, Hertz President's Circle, National Executive
I can recommend the property, despite I wouldn't go back (I think a need a CP as minimum standard for resorts ). I have posted an arguably critical report here, but assume many issues have been sorted out by now:

For getting away from everything, this is the ideal spot (within the HI price category). I suggest getting a car (book in advance!!) to avoid the taxi mafia. There are several nice restaurants going towards the bridge and at the yacht club/marina (10-20 min drive), when you fancy dining outside the resort.

You'll be fine as solo traveller there, but don't expect much action - but it seems like that's what you are looking for anyway
Thanks for your quick response and the review. Hmmm...now I'm having second thoughts....decisions decisions....
Old Mar 3, 2012, 4:47 am
Original Poster

I read your report with great interest....It seems the big issue is that you weren't given plat recognition on points and ended up with a less desirable room.I guess that's the risk we all take with points usage.Admittedly privacy can be an issue with many ground floor rooms.....we even had a Chinese tourist walking onto our terrace and making herself comfortable on one of the chairs : had to shoo her off!
Old Mar 3, 2012, 7:18 am

Well, it's hard to say. I didn't expect plat recognition (a fruit plate or a drink would have been nice, though) and I do think the hotel thinks that ground floor rooms are an upgrade or better room. I think different, so this depends on your preferences.

My conclusion for this hotel is that it is nothing to write home about. It's a HI, nothing more and nothing special. A nice place to stay for a couple of nights when you're about, but certainly not a place where I would go for a week-long holiday or even plan my holiday around. Adding to this is the simple fact that I'm more frequently in ICs and CPs, so a HI is rather a 'basic' hotel for my taste. However, this also depends on your preferences.

It's a solid HI with a great beach and good staff. When you're based in KUL/BKK/SIN or about anyway, this certainly is good place to go for a long weekend, and, as I said, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the hotel.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Adding to this is the simple fact that I'm more frequently in ICs and CPs, so a HI is rather a 'basic' hotel for my taste. However, this also depends on your preferences.

It's a solid HI with a great beach and good staff. When you're based in KUL/BKK/SIN or about anyway, this certainly is good place to go for a long weekend, and, as I said, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the hotel.

Yes ,It was a pity the Brand new CP Karon Beach didn't last long before being re flagged to a Movenpick.Was a terrific property on once was a wonderful beach.Sadly now HI s are all that you got on Phuket...

Last edited by docklander; Mar 3, 2012 at 2:56 pm Reason: Fat finger....
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:50 am

I will be staying in Phuket for 3 days and mostly want a nice quiet beach.

Is the beach swimmable here?

Can you do snorkeling either right from the shore or can you get a boat right at the property?

Any restaurants off property but within walking distance (say up to 20 min)?
Old Jan 13, 2013, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by maximizer
I will be staying in Phuket for 3 days and mostly want a nice quiet beach.

Is the beach swimmable here?

Can you do snorkeling either right from the shore or can you get a boat right at the property?

Any restaurants off property but within walking distance (say up to 20 min)?
Beach is swimmable, you can snorkel right from the sandy shore.

There is a local Thai restaurant just next to the property, within walking distance there are a couple of local open air vendors that also offer lunch and dinner, it's quite primitive but very local. Within a 20 minute walk you can reach the Renaissance and the Marriott with their hotel restaurant offerings.
The hotel also offers shuttle service to Phuket and back. Surely there are tons of restaurants there.
Old May 2, 2013, 10:56 am

if you have platinum status and book on award nights, is it possible they upgrade to a deluxe room with pool access ( pool right outside room)?

i have a reservations w/o points but now trying to see if getting a PC card with platinum status can get 4 nights free (20k a night) but i would assume that’s just the basic deluxe room..

As far as restaurants outside of hotel - are the restaurants geared to tourists or more local thai restaurants /vendors...i got food poisoned last trip and don't want to have a repeat ...:/
Old May 3, 2013, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Is this resort close to the JW Marriott

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.