Community
Wiki Posts
Search

72,000 miles wasted. Not a happy camper....

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2011, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred/Companion Pass, Amtrak Select, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Diamond
72,000 miles wasted. Not a happy camper....

No real response expected, just venting. Burned 72,000 points for a couple of $100 gift cards for Amazon.com, to buy a GPS for my sons Birthday. checked the mail every day for weeks. Never showed. Contacted Priority Club, took em nearly 3 weeks to finally tell me "sorry, they said they were shipped, we can't refund your points or re-issue the cards". Which, is per the policy. But I'm still out a ton of points, with nothing to show for it. Won't be ordering any cards again. What a waste.

Edit-Even worse, just checked, it was 76,000 points.

Last edited by Paddlenpedal; Nov 5, 2011 at 6:16 pm
Old Nov 5, 2011, 5:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt PL, PC Spire/RA, HH GOLD, SPG Green, Marriott Silver, Skywards B, CSA Gold, Lufthansa Paper,UA
Amazon can block and reissue gift card codes on the fly. Weird
Old Nov 5, 2011, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred/Companion Pass, Amtrak Select, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by olegator
Amazon can block and reissue gift card codes on the fly. Weird
Exactly, that's why I'm torqued. Any other gift card program will do just that. At the very least, ship the things certified, or UPS or something trackable. I realize IHG has no control over the mail, maybe they got lost, maybe they never got sent, I don't know, but I'm positive they never made it to my mailbox, we were looking for them daily. But to ship something with a value of a couple of hundred, with no tracking or insurance, and no way to remedy, it's pretty disapointing. Never had a problem before, redeeming for gift cards from my other programs, but my first time with IHG I get burned for a whole lot of points.

Between the continuous website problems, useless phone customer care, and a few other things, I'm thinking it's time to go back to another chain next year.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 8:55 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
What about suing them? At least in Germany the company would be responsible to deliver the cards to you. If they can't prove they have been delivered, they'll have to deliver again. Just saying "sorry, we have no idea what happened and you are out of luck" wouldn't be accepted as defense.

HTB.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've gotten (as promos, not bought) Amazon gift certificates that were electronic (emailed to me). Why in the world can't Priority Club issue those instead of snail mailed (and thus losable in mailing) gift cards?

OTOH, if 72,000 points was for just two $100 gift cards (you said "a couple"), IMHO you would have been out an unreasonable number of points whether the gift cards showed up or not. I've routinely used 15k Priority Club points for hotels worth $125+tax or even $180+tax, so to use almost 5 times that many points for only $200 value seems almost as bad as throwing the points into the trash.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I've gotten (as promos, not bought) Amazon gift certificates that were electronic (emailed to me). Why in the world can't Priority Club issue those instead of snail mailed (and thus losable in mailing) gift cards?

OTOH, if 72,000 points was for just two $100 gift cards (you said "a couple"), IMHO you would have been out an unreasonable number of points whether the gift cards showed up or not. I've routinely used 15k Priority Club points for hotels worth $125+tax or even $180+tax, so to use almost 5 times that many points for only $200 value seems almost as bad as throwing the points into the trash.
Well all the rewards on the site that are merchandise/cards/etc are a terrible value. I don't think the OP was posting about that, but rather the odd experience that they could not just reissue something they should easily be able to verify has not been used yet.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 10:41 am

I would request from them, in writing, the details of the supposed shipment, including the gift card numbers. If Priority Club (or whoever they contract with for fulfillment) can't provide that, they need to re-issue new cards.

As mentioned, all you need is the number to order online, so that may be sufficient. If the cards turn out to have been used, a claim/police report for theft is in order.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 10:57 am

Programs: Delta Gold / PC Platinum / HHonors Gold
I had a similar issue with them regarding a Lowe's gift card. Long story short, I was told that they use a third party to issue the gift cards. Once they place the order with that third party, they're not responsible for the rest of the transaction. After going back and forth for three weeks or so I literally had to tell them I'd just stop staying at IHG properties, and that I'm sure HHonors would have treated me better. They promptly sent out another gift card. Shame it had to come to that, but it might work for you.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 11:15 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I would absolutely escalate this situation and do not take NO for an answer. I can almost assume that speaking to the right person will get you those gift cards, but it will take some time and effort (unfortunately). Goodluck!
Old Nov 6, 2011, 12:25 pm

This is really poor for IHG. I hope you get it sorted out!
Old Nov 6, 2011, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
indeed. at least in the UK some simple forms can get part of your content reimbursed through insurance (on any posts)
Old Nov 7, 2011, 7:44 am

Programs: ihg plat, hh gold, hertz 5*
Judging from previous topics it was quite likely that they were never sent - they don't seem to have any control of what their 'fulfillment centres' actually do.

It doesn't help you, but there is a European Council directive that goods are at the sellers risk until they are delivered to the consumer - which should be enforced across the EU.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Here's a timely article from the Atlanta fishwrap:

AJC.com:
Postal carrier charged in theft of mailed gift cards

4:04 p.m. Monday, November 7, 2011

If IC said that the gift cards were mailed to you, contact the Postal Inspectors and let them sort it out.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
OP should file a complaint with the BBB against InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) based in Atlanta. Alternatively complaint through the Attorney General of OK or GA should do the job.

Last edited by holtju2; Nov 8, 2011 at 6:32 pm Reason: typo
Old Nov 8, 2011, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the condolences, though probably nothing I can do about it, as it was within their policy etc etc. Lesson learned, won't do that again. I'm going to finish out the year with IHG I think, until this 80,000 points bonus thing is up, then move my business over to Hilton. I like Hampton Inns, and they're usually around the same price. I think my Diamond status is up in Jan, but wont take long to get back there, might even try for a status match, if they do that kind of thing. Downside is there just aren't as many of them where I frequently travel. It's usually a choice of HIX or Comfort Suites/Sleep Inn's. At least at Choice Hotels, they're gift cards show up though!

So, buyer beware, if redeeming for gift cards, if they don't show, you're out everything. You've been warned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.