Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I used points - what's fair share for colleague

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2011, 10:21 am
Original Poster

I used points - what's fair share for colleague

I used reward points to stay at an off-site location for a two night conference I am attending on short notice. Now a colleague is suggesting sharing the room in exchange for … ?

I would like your ideas about what would be a fair share.

And before everyone yelps at me, yes it was a most inefficient use of points which I'm guessing I acquired with Chase Priority Club credit card bonuses. (I've been working towards zeroing out my miscellaneous accounts.)

I used 25K points for one night and 20K points plus $40 for the second night, leaving 700 points in the account which I'll just let lapse.

The senior rate for the room is $69 plus tax; the 'regular' rate is $125 plus tax.

How much should I ask my colleague to give me?

And an aside, since the web site wouldn't let me, in one reservation, book one night all points and one night points and cash, I phoned to make the reservation to see if customer service could do it. No. Can't do points and cash over the phone – only on line. As the system processed though, what it did was buy 5K points for $40 (non-refundable) and then issue a $25K reward. I guess I could have done it that myself too, if I'd realized.

Sylvia
Old Sep 26, 2011, 10:36 am

Programs: SPG PLT
So. 1/2 of 25K, 20K and $40 is 22,500K and $20. Priority Club points are worth $0.006, so it would be $135.00 (22,500 X 0.006) + $20 for a total of $155.00.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 5:28 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
If one of you is a Senior, I would book the senior rate for $69 and keep your points - they are worth at least $125 per night.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 10:07 pm

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
This is easy: We know that you can buy 5000 points for $30, you can directly and accurately calculate your cost and charge your co-worker half.

Of course, 10% discount for the one having to sleep beside the noisy AC. :-)
Old Sep 27, 2011, 1:01 am

Programs: FB Plat, EB Gold, TK*G Elite, PC Plat, Club Carlson Concierge
Hmm - surprised by the answers here.. comes down to personality perhaps, and the relationship you have with your colleague.

I would:
Ask colleague to pay the 40 $ + taxes, that way you both get a "good deal".
Especially if you could book the senior rate of 69 $, which would be 69 $ per person if shared.

Certainly I would not go by the amount you have to pay to buy the points as a guidance of what you should charge, as those converters are not fair in my view.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 1:45 am

Programs: PC Royal Amb
I second Banko's answer. Having your co-worker pay for your out-of-pocket expense on the room is fair. Especially when you're looking to zero out your miscellaneous accounts so the points you used don't hold any intrinsic value to you.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Simple.

If it's a colleague, he pays half of the cheapest rate you could book the room for.

If it's a friend he sleeps for free: or simply follow whatever initiative he offers.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 4:39 am

you pay for the room, he pays for the food and beverage, or flights, gas, drive, or something like that seems like a good deal all around
Old Sep 27, 2011, 9:17 am
Original Poster

srt8-blue - thanks for the clear numbers; that's more straightforward than the calculations I was making; zerafa - that does seem balanced, and there won't be any additional costs; IAN-UK - the relationship is friendly, but not (yet) friends ; Banko - that's what was in my mind this morning, before I logged in to see what the suggestions were.

I'm going to suggest my colleague pay my out-of-pocket, the $40.

I appreciate the various perspectives - it helped me come to a comfortable choice.

Sylvia
Old Sep 27, 2011, 11:00 am

Programs: British Airways non-rev, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
More generally, what's a fair share when using points and splitting the room with friends?

My general thinking is that something like airport transportation or a meal is appropriate, depending of course on the cost of each and the number of points used.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 11:05 am
JBa

Programs: some
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Simple.

If it's a colleague, he pays half of the cheapest rate you could book the room for.

If it's a friend he sleeps for free: or simply follow whatever initiative he offers.
+1
Old Sep 27, 2011, 6:39 pm

Programs: Delta DM, HH D, Starwood Plat, Hertz PC
I would like your ideas about what would be a fair share.

My answer, unless its a 2 bedroom suite, would be just NO. go ahead and book your own room. The money wouldn't be worth it to me. Unless it was the Mrs. then she can stay any time. I might not be the right person to answer this as I have 100 nights in HOtels so far this year.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 6:59 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by cdfinney
My answer, unless its a 2 bedroom suite, would be just NO. go ahead and book your own room. The money wouldn't be worth it to me. Unless it was the Mrs. then she can stay any time. I might not be the right person to answer this as I have 100 nights in HOtels so far this year.
The OP has received some truly helpful replies, so I can chime in to say that I agree with the above. For me, the OP's situation would be a purely hypothetical one.

Either:

(1) I know my colleague well enough that I would be willing to share a hotel room with him (or her), in which case I wouldn't charge anything, because my costs are the same whether s/he stays with me or not; or

(2) I don't know my colleague well enough, in which case I wouldn't share my room with him (or her) at all!
Old Sep 28, 2011, 7:32 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mikew99
Either:

(1) I know my colleague well enough that I would be willing to share a hotel room with him (or her), in which case I wouldn't charge anything, because my costs are the same whether s/he stays with me or not; or

(2) I don't know my colleague well enough, in which case I wouldn't share my room with him (or her) at all!
BINGO !! The winning answer IMO.

SylviaCaras, is this conference a business function you would normally be reimbursed for? If so, why are you burning the points?
Old Sep 28, 2011, 10:27 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by mikew99
Either:

I would say

(1) I know my colleague well enough, so both get a monetary advantage by staying together (why only the colleague?)

(2) I don't know my colleague well enough, in which case I would try to get a better deal.

HTB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.