Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Old Sep 16, 2011, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt PL, PC Spire/RA, HH GOLD, SPG Green, Marriott Silver, Skywards B, CSA Gold, Lufthansa Paper,UA
New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/6c/...e/lowguar.html

snippet:

Example of a resolution to a valid Best Price Guarantee claim:

A guest books a two night stay at the lowest available price through the Best Available Rate search for a hotel in Atlanta, GA, (USA) on an IHG site for a price of $200.00.

Within 24 hours, that same guest finds a price of $190.00 on a competing Web site for the same hotel, same night, with the same rate restrictions(refundable or non-refundable) and same room type (same number and type of bed(s)).

The guest contacts IHG to claim the Best Price Guarantee either by phone or by filling out the online form.

Once the Guest Relations team confirms that the Best Price Guarantee claim filed is valid, they will modify the guests reservation with the first night free and the second night at $190.00.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 6:53 pm

For multiple nights >2 it would appear that there is no further benefit but for stays of 2-9 nights its better than 10% off the matched rate, so I suppose that will benefit the majority of claims.And 1 night stays are free.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 9:43 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

This seems like a really bad idea. They either hired a new marketing intern or must be very confident in their ability to deny claims. If they're reasonably honest to their guarantee, we'll see this reversed in a couple of months, once the bloggers have descended on it. After spending about half an hour searching, I found cheaper rates for three one-night stays, at Montelucia, CP Seattle, and IC GS HK. We'll see how my claims go.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:43 pm

I wonder if a 1 night $0 reservation will be credited as a qualifying night/stay and get 2000 points at an IC (and 0 points at other brands but +1 to the nights count)
Old Sep 17, 2011, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by jpdx
I found cheaper rates for three one-night stays, at Montelucia, CP Seattle, and IC GS HK. We'll see how my claims go.
Care to share last one? Looking to book a couple nights there soon :-).
Old Sep 17, 2011, 5:25 am

Programs: BA Exec Blue, IHG Spire, HHonor Gold, Accor Platinum.
I've found cheaper rates for a UK hotel.

One thing that bothers me though is that

A guest must book the lowest available hotel room rate through the Best Available rate search
Which means the Non-refundable rate, (unless I'm mistaken) therefore if you lose the Best Price Guarantee claim you can't cancel the Holiday Inn.

The cheaper night I've found is non refundable on the HI site and refundable (10% fee) on the 3rd party web-site. So not exactly the same
Old Sep 17, 2011, 6:17 am

Got my 1st BRG approval ^^. Didn't notice this in the Ts+Cs

Please know that as per the term and conditions of the program, “Limit one free night per name on reservation, per Stay and per hotel for any seven day period. A Stay is one night or consecutive nights at the same hotel location, regardless of frequency of check-in/check-out.
I had 2 bookings at the IC Budapest with a 3 day break between the stays - teething problems

So my approval included the following:
Please know that as per the term and conditions of the program, “Limit one free night per name on reservation, per Stay and per hotel for any seven day period. A Stay is one night or consecutive nights at the same hotel location, regardless of frequency of check-in/check-out.” Thus the two claims that you have sent with Confirmation numbers xxxxxxx and yyyyyyy will be considered as 1 claim.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Got my 1st BRG approval ^^. Didn't notice this in the Ts+Cs

I had 2 bookings at the IC Budapest with a 3 day break between the stays - teething problems

So my approval included the following:
So did you book the non refundable rate?
Old Sep 17, 2011, 6:45 am

That is the really bad part of the IHG BRG - having to book the lowest rate when that is often non-refundable/non-cancellable.

The Ts + Cs are a bit ambiguous but if the competing rate includes breakfast then you can book the lowest rate on IHG that also includes breakfast even if it is not the absolute lowest rate available. Sometimes (as in my claim) the lowest rate with b/f on IHG was Best Flexible Rate with Breakfast. There was no Advance Purchase with Breakfast
Old Sep 17, 2011, 6:58 am

That is the really bad part of the IHG BRG - having to book the lowest rate when that is often non-refundable/non-cancellable.

The Ts + Cs are a bit ambiguous but if the competing rate includes breakfast then you can book the lowest rate on IHG that also includes breakfast even if it is not the absolute lowest rate available. Sometimes (as in my claim) the lowest rate with b/f on IHG was Best Flexible Rate with Breakfast. There was no Advance Purchase with Breakfast
Good point

The competing rate I have found is refundable (10% fee) but includes Bkfst..

I may book the IHG flex rate with Bkfst and see if they comp it. If not then I've not lost anything.

Not sure if the 10% fee will alter anything-but I could always then book the IHG non ref Bkfst rate and compare that.

Hmmmmmmmm..
Old Sep 17, 2011, 2:41 pm

Programs: IC Amb, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, EY E+, UA*G, BA Gold
Where did you find a rate to beat IHG's? Wherever I look the "with breakfast" rates to beat IHG's Best Flex with Breakfast show as "sold out".

I stay at this property frequently and would love to partake in a few BRGs!

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Errata
Where did you find a rate to beat IHG's?
PM'ed you the actual website but www.hotelscombined is your friend - that's all I ever search on for a better competing rate.

Of course this new BRG policy is just about giving us a bigger carrot so that IHG can bash non-complying hotels with a bigger stick.They are hoping that in the long run this will decrease the number of carrots that they have to hand out to us bunnies.

Last edited by 3544quebec; Sep 17, 2011 at 5:46 pm
Old Sep 18, 2011, 12:38 am

I've had a reply from IHG.

They are comparing a NON refundable IHG rate against a REFUNDABLE one I found!

Can't see that being rught

Email tennis has begun.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by blindman
I've had a reply from IHG.

They are comparing a NON refundable IHG rate against a REFUNDABLE one I found!

Can't see that being rught

Email tennis has begun.
If IHG's non-refundable rate is lower than the refundable rate you have found then your claim won't be valid, unless there is some other inclusion eg breakfast that allows you to ignore IHG's lower rate.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 1:43 am

If IHG's non-refundable rate is lower than the refundable rate you have found then your claim won't be valid, unless there is some other inclusion eg breakfast that allows you to ignore IHG's lower rate.
That's excatly what they are saying, which IMHO is totally unfair

On one hand they seem to say you can't compare a refundable rate on IHG with a non refundable one on a third party web-site.

Similar rate restrictions apply and are determined by whether your rate is refundable or non-refundable. Non-refundable rates cannot be claimed at a lower price with a refundable rate on a third-party Web site.
But then they say they CAN do that if the IHG rate is lower despite it being Non refundable

Anyhow I got a screen shot of the rate being lower, so I've sent that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.