Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Old Aug 2, 2012, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by MarioRossi
I always understood the rule to be like this: only ONE claim for ONE hotel in a 30-day-period, this in order to avoid people splitting up longer stays into several one-night reservations.

I did not know it was ONE claim for the entire IHG group. And I have to say, that I do have a trip coming up with three approved claims in one month.
I have issues with IHG concerning this. I never fully checked the T&C, also got two confirmed free nights in one month. These claims were accepted almost 8 months ago. Today, I filed for another claim. It was approved, but in a separate email I was informed that they realized that they made a mistake by accepting the second free night in one month.

They also told me that the free night was forfeited!

I find this quite strange. They forgot to properly check when I made the claim (I booked both with same name, address and my Priority Club number on file, so did not try to hide anything), now realized this after more than half a year and now simply tell me that the free night is voided.

Should I accept this?
Old Aug 2, 2012, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by Lisa40403
I have issues with IHG concerning this. I never fully checked the T&C, also got two confirmed free nights in one month. These claims were accepted almost 8 months ago. Today, I filed for another claim. It was approved, but in a separate email I was informed that they realized that they made a mistake by accepting the second free night in one month.

I find this quite strange. They forgot to properly check when I made the claim (I booked both with same name, address and my Priority Club number on file, so did not try to hide anything), now realized this after more than half a year and now simply tell me that the free night is voided.

Should I accept this?
Do you have a choice? Both you and them made a honest mistake, and you did violate their T&C.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 1:05 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by MarioRossi
Oops, sorry. Misread that one. But wasn't there a time when IHG insisted that the canellation policies had to be identical, i.e. a better cancellation policy on a 3rd party was denied as well?
Yes, there was indeed such a time when IHG agents were apparently payed for denying claims for bogus reasons. And they did reject refundable rates.

HTB.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 1:06 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
What were the T&Cs at the time you got the free night? In the beginning it was one night every 7 days or so.

HTB.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)

Should I accept this?
Originally Posted by nacho
Do you have a choice? Both you and them made a honest mistake, and you did violate their T&C.
honestly - it shouldn't be up to the passenger to check the fine print regarding this. If they accepted it then I believe you have a case.

Would I be spending $$ to get a lawyer to fight it for me? No. But I think, if you can be bothered, a letter to a regulatory authority would not go astray.

The free night guarantee is so riddled with get-out clauses for IHG it is essentially meaningless in many cases.

While I can understand matching cancellation policies etc, there are some terms and conditions - such as the 'one per month' and the 'must be in same currency' which I think are dishonest - regardless of what the Ts and Cs say.

In the latter two (one per month and same currency) you have actually found the night cheaper, and the guarantee should be honoured.

I can understand that they want to control multiple back to back free nights - a person who did that might not be playing by the rules. But if you have found different hotels, even a day apart, then they should honour it.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 1:27 am

This is exactly what I told them.

I told them that I would, since I now know about it, adhere to this rule, but that I did not know about it when I made the second claim (not sure if it was in the T&C back then) and that it was up to them to check properly.

Since they did not do that, since it was long long ago and since I have a written confirmation of a free night, I accept the night to be free.

Let's see what they respond. Looks like they escalated it to a supervisor because the first reply came within 30 minutes, the second one is now at 15 hours.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 2:40 am

Received a reply just now. They will honor both reservations and acknowledged that it was their fault. Case closed, for me
Old Aug 3, 2012, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Received a reply just now. They will honor both reservations and acknowledged that it was their fault. Case closed, for me
Good for you and IHG has done the right thing ^
Old Aug 4, 2012, 2:20 pm
Used to be highman123

Just got approved for Intercontinental Hamburg next month. Really good CSR and friendly service.

IC Hamburg EUR 139 BAR (no advance purchase rate anymore <14 days)
Hoteltravel.com EUR 103
Old Aug 4, 2012, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by highman123
Just got approved for Intercontinental Hamburg next month. Really good CSR and friendly service.

IC Hamburg EUR 139 BAR (no advance purchase rate anymore <14 days)
Hoteltravel.com EUR 103
Wow, they have removed the ADP less than 14 days before arrival? I got it once back in January that I had to do it 6 days before arrival in order to avoid ADP.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 4:15 pm
Used to be highman123

Originally Posted by nacho
Wow, they have removed the ADP less than 14 days before arrival? I got it once back in January that I had to do it 6 days before arrival in order to avoid ADP.
Your are right it was only 6 days out. But all days before were 'BRGable' so I was pretty sure this one would work. My 'backup' was the Renaissance downtown.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by highman123
Your are right it was only 6 days out. But all days before were 'BRGable' so I was pretty sure this one would work. My 'backup' was the Renaissance downtown.
I had that as a backup too!
Old Aug 6, 2012, 1:14 pm

ive only ever done claims relating to advance purchase rates.

im looking into a claim now, where the hotel on ihg.com has both best flex and adv purchase rates available.

ive found a competitor website which has a lower rate that can be cancelled without penalty and also a lower non refundable rate.

do i have to book the adv purchase rate or can i book the best flex? I'd prefer to book the best flex rate...
Old Aug 6, 2012, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA Exec Blue, IHG Spire, HHonor Gold, Accor Platinum.
Originally Posted by lfc84
i
do i have to book the adv purchase rate or can i book the best flex? I'd prefer to book the best flex rate...
From post#1 and the T&c's
Book. Complete a valid ....room booking with the lowest available price
In this case the lowest rate is the Advance purchase.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 1:27 pm

ok thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.