Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2012, 3:36 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
I would call in and try again because the Competitor's rate can be more generous in any way than the IGH rate. Have someone else at IHG BRG take a look at your claim.
Agreed, assumin the competitor site's cancellation policy was as least as good as the IHG one, and IHG did not have ANY cheaper rate.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I'm staying at HI SFO tonight (BRG night), the hotel didn't honour the BRG rate and made a comment 'possible comp BRG violation'. We showed them the e-mail for our claim approval - we got the claim through just before they changed the 30 days rule back in Oct. Now the FD said he will change it - when we checked in 2 weeks ago the GM was already very unhappy about us using BRG.

Anyone has the same experience? Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by nacho

... the GM was already very unhappy about us using BRG.

sorry to be flippant... but it seems the whole IHG company seems to be unhappy about anyone using the BRG.

So i guess that gives every one of us the same experience
Old Apr 11, 2012, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by nacho
I'm staying at HI SFO tonight (BRG night), the hotel didn't honour the BRG rate and made a comment 'possible comp BRG violation'. We showed them the e-mail for our claim approval - we got the claim through just before they changed the 30 days rule back in Oct. Now the FD said he will change it - when we checked in 2 weeks ago the GM was already very unhappy about us using BRG.

Personally, I would file a complaint with the PC/IHG about the hotel after the stay even if they comp the night. This is not the right way to treat a customer and they should be "penalized" for it.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:16 am

I've encountered the same problem. But I can not also blame them if the hotel sees multiple BRG claims (of a group of family/friends) as abusing the BRG system.

12. Changes. IHG reserves the right to modify, restrict availability, or discontinue the Best Price Guarantee, at any time, for any or no reason, and without prior notice or liability to you. The IHG Best Price Guarantee Terms and Conditions that are in effect at the time of your booking will determine your eligibility under the Best Price Guarantee. IHG reserves the right to cancel a previously awarded free night and to cancel the lower rates for the rest of the nights of a multi-night reservation if it is found that a customer has knowingly violated or circumvented the Best Price Guarantee

Last edited by Kangaroo12; Apr 12, 2012 at 11:43 am
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Kangaroo12
I've encountered the same problem. But I can not also blame them if the hotel sees multiple BRG claims (of a group of family/friends) as abusing the BRG system.

12. Changes. IHG reserves the right to modify, restrict availability, or discontinue the Best Price Guarantee, at any time, for any or no reason, and without prior notice or liability to you. The IHG Best Price Guarantee Terms and Conditions that are in effect at the time of your booking will determine your eligibility under the Best Price Guarantee. IHG reserves the right to cancel a previously awarded free night and to cancel the lower rates for the rest of the nights of a multi-night reservation if it is found that a customer has knowingly violated or circumvented the Best Price Guarantee
I cannot agree with you that multiple claims from a family and friends is any kind of abuse.

Each person is an individual person, so there is no rule denying the possibility of multiple claims as long as they are made by different real people. No one "has knowingly violated or circumvented the Best Price Guarantee" in this case.

On the other hand, the "impact" on the hotel's side is really limited. It is simply because third party lower rates are taken down really quickly after being used for a legitimate claim. I assume there is no way to claim more than 5 rooms in a row given the long waiting and verifying time on the BRG hotline.

I understand that hotel managers must not be happy for being claimed free rooms as it means a loss of revenue. However, it is their rule to offer such free rooms. We are not forcing and threatening them to make such rules. If they don't like the rules, they may consider leaving IHG and joining other hotel chains which offer 25% off in BRG cases.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by samwkchan
I cannot agree with you that multiple claims from a family and friends is any kind of abuse.

Each person is an individual person, so there is no rule denying the possibility of multiple claims as long as they are made by different real people. No one "has knowingly violated or circumvented the Best Price Guarantee" in this case.

On the other hand, the "impact" on the hotel's side is really limited. It is simply because third party lower rates are taken down really quickly after being used for a legitimate claim. I assume there is no way to claim more than 5 rooms in a row given the long waiting and verifying time on the BRG hotline.

I understand that hotel managers must not be happy for being claimed free rooms as it means a loss of revenue. However, it is their rule to offer such free rooms. We are not forcing and threatening them to make such rules. If they don't like the rules, they may consider leaving IHG and joining other hotel chains which offer 25% off in BRG cases.
+1. The thing is that I have already told them that I don't need 2 rooms for the first claim which the manager was happy about. Then there shouldn't be a problem for the second stay since it was fully legit because I filed the claim before they implemented the 30 days rule.

Also if they are not happy about my claim he has more than 6 months to dispute it. Anyway I didn't pay anything upon check out, so I assumed that night was comp too.

The hotel is a dump. I wouldn't even stay there on PB.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by samwkchan
My concern is that their advertisement is possibly misleading and deceptive.
Was reading previous posts and I agree with samwkchan. When I was making a reservation online, the website shows:

We’re so confident in our prices that we’re standing by them with our Best Price Guarantee. Find our rooms for a lower price elsewhere and your first night is free.

I saw it on the page wherein I have to select for a rate and room type. The above is repeatedly advertised after each rate type.

No links or disclaimer mentioning that there are terms and condition to follow. When i read the word elsewhere, i thought it can be a different booking channel like a newspaper ad or a rate coming from the hotel itself.

I hope they consider updating the page. I was only educated when I was transferred to the support.

Last edited by Kangaroo12; Apr 13, 2012 at 2:48 pm
Old Apr 13, 2012, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Kangaroo12
Was reading previous posts and I agree with samwkchan. When I was making a reservation online, the website shows:

We’re so confident in our prices that we’re standing by them with our Best Price Guarantee. Find our rooms for a lower price elsewhere and your first night is free.

I hope they consider updating the page. I was only educated when I was transferred to the support.
Should change it to:

we are so confident in our room prices that we're standing by them. Find our rooms for a lower price elsewhere and we'll do everything to make sure you get our rate, and not the lower rate
Old Apr 13, 2012, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
HI LAX

Took me a while to find a lower rate that I knew the support desk wouldn't reject, but finally struck gold. All the room descriptions on hotelscombined.com, while I knew were the same room, were still slightly different and left room for debate. Had to be sure since I had to book the advance purchase rate on IHG, and they are becoming so difficult to win against . I actually had to search on my own to find the lower rate, no meta search sites.

Free night next weekend though, just waiting for the confirmation from the hotel at this point.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 2:51 am

Do we have to book the "Advance Purchase Rate" rather than "Best Flexible Rate" when both are available on IHG.com?

IHG: 850 (best flexible), 730 (advance purchase)
3rd website: 730 (best flexible), N.A. (advance purchase)

Is it possible to claim BPG based on the best flexible rate, as the 3rd website does not provide a advance purchase rate?

Will the agent always use the "book the lowest available rate" as an excuse to reject the claim?
Old Apr 14, 2012, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by vv0s
Do we have to book the "Advance Purchase Rate" rather than "Best Flexible Rate" when both are available on IHG.com?

IHG: 850 (best flexible), 730 (advance purchase)
3rd website: 730 (best flexible), N.A. (advance purchase)

Is it possible to claim BPG based on the best flexible rate, as the 3rd website does not provide a advance purchase rate?

Will the agent always use the "book the lowest available rate" as an excuse to reject the claim?
At the very least apart from all other considerations you must find a rate on a 3rd party website lower than the lowest rate you can find on an IHG website.
In your example you have not found such a rate elsewhere.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Should change it to:

we are so confident in our room prices that we're standing by them. Find our rooms for a lower price elsewhere and we'll do everything to make sure you get our rate, and not the lower rate

+1
Old Apr 15, 2012, 1:47 pm

Programs: LH Sen, HH Diamond, IC RA
RA Benefits on BRG Stay IC Rome de la Ville

Just returned from my BRG stay at the IC Rome.
On arrival we got a Welcome letter which stated the Royal Ambassador benefits like free mini-bar, free Internet, etc..with the exception, that Minibar and Internet are not complimentary while using reward nights.
They gave me a code for 24 h free Internet.
After receiving the letter, we assumed that the Minibar would be complimentary.
At check-out the bill was presented in a very arrogant manner....
As we didn´t pay for the room, how could we expect the minibar to be free?
He told us, that a BRG stays is the same as a reward night and forced us to sign the bill!
The guy at reception recommend to clarify the issue with Ambassador Service.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 4:50 pm

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by tom-schmitt
As we didn´t pay for the room, how could we expect the minibar to be free?
He told us, that a BRG stays is the same as a reward night and forced us to sign the bill!
Rubbish, reward night is redeeming points, hotel gets paid by IHG for the night. BRG night is a totally free night due to hotel not abidding by the agreement it made with IHG to ensure cheapest rate is always on IHG website. It has nothing AT ALL to do with receiving a night by virtue of loyalty points.

Their letter said you get free minibar as an RA except on reward night. Once you get amb services to educate the hotel, ensure you keep the bill from the hotel and the letter that stated that minibar would be free on all non-reward nights and get amb services to escalate this until you get a refund for the minibar bill.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.