Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2011, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by melehundele
I expected it to be because it has been in the past. I have two other successful but similar BRGs that were approved several months and 2 weeks ago. The best rate is either on the base rate or on the rate net taxes; when they say taxes are not considered that means base rate. You think it should be both?

I know there used to be more language regarding taxes following the part of 6 I quoted but it has been dropped. Also, I see that on PriorityClub.com, under BRG, it says:

•For purposes of this Guarantee, "rate" does not include any taxes (unless otherwise noted), tariffs or fees imposed by any governmental authority (e.g., federal, state or local) on either IHG or the guest for the duration of the guest's occupancy. Rates being compared to determine if Guarantee applies must both either be with taxes included, or without taxes included.

Either there is just plain inconsistency in what is published and intended, or the policy is not being construed according to its terms.
You seem to be missing the point. There is no mention of excluding consideration ofnon-governmental authority fees. If tax is $20 night - that's the government fees. If the 3rd party website is charging total taxes/fees of $24/night, then $4/night is non-governmental ie charges by the website. So the total amount of Room rate pre-taxes and website non-governmental charges is $150+$4 = $154/night which is exactly the same as the IHG rate . The after tax rate is also identical on both websites +/- 1c. So the pre-Gov taxes rate is the same, the post-Gov taxes and website fees is the same - so where is the 3rd party better rate?
Old Dec 3, 2011, 9:50 am
MKB

Originally Posted by MKB
I am currently fighting a rejection.

The third-party website rate has a surcharge if I pay by credit card and no surcharge if I pay by debit card. Without the surcharge, the third-party rate is cheaper than IHG, but more expensive with the surcharge.

I can find nothing in the terms and conditions http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/6c/...ate/lowtc.html that says that the reservation on IHG.com has to be made using the same payment method as on the third-party website.

I can't see how they can deny this claim, but that's what they're doing.
Update: after two further emails, IHG now agree to use the debit card rate on the competing website.

However, the claim has now been rejected on two further counts:

- competing website is for room type "double with breakfast" and IHG is for "double nonsmoking".
- competing website does not inform the hotel of guest names until 2-3 days after booking.

I'm baffled since "double with breakfast" is clearly a rate type rather than a room type. I could have booked the breakfast inclusive rate on ihg.com but the instructions tell you that you must book the cheapest rate.

According to the terms on the competing website, they do offer instant confirmation of the room with their service provider which may be an intermediary. I don't see why it's relevant when guest names are supplied to the hotel.

If I had realised there was a chance this would not have been approved, I would not have booked on ihg.com. I would have booked through the third party. I have been roundly conned. Anyone had any success in getting non-refundable bookings cancelled because of this?
Old Dec 3, 2011, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by MKB
Update: after two further emails, IHG now agree to use the debit card rate on the competing website.

However, the claim has now been rejected on two further counts:

- competing website is for room type "double with breakfast" and IHG is for "double nonsmoking".
- competing website does not inform the hotel of guest names until 2-3 days after booking.

I'm baffled since "double with breakfast" is clearly a rate type rather than a room type. I could have booked the breakfast inclusive rate on ihg.com but the instructions tell you that you must book the cheapest rate.

According to the terms on the competing website, they do offer instant confirmation of the room with their service provider which may be an intermediary. I don't see why it's relevant when guest names are supplied to the hotel.

If I had realised there was a chance this would not have been approved, I would not have booked on ihg.com. I would have booked through the third party. I have been roundly conned. Anyone had any success in getting non-refundable bookings cancelled because of this?
To be honest, you should book the rate with breakfast when you want to claim against a third-party rate with breakfast according to the terms and conditions.

Originally Posted by Point 8 of the terms and conditions
Packages Comparison. Room prices that include food or beverage items such as breakfast or dinner, entertainment items such as tickets to a show, and/or free local calls, parking or other bundled items will be considered as packages. These package or inclusive rates must be compared to prices with the same type of inclusive items.
It may be better to make a call next time. Email communication may not be efficient enough.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 10:30 am
MKB

[QUOTE=samwkchan;17559679]To be honest, you should book the rate with breakfast when you want to claim against a third-party rate with breakfast according to the terms and conditions.

With respect, that's not what that says. It specifies what rate will be used for comparison, not what rate to book.

Moreover, at http://www.priorityclub.com/hotels/u...advantage/faqs it specifically states: "A guest must book the lowest available hotel room price through the Best Available price search - for the type of accommodations sought - in order to qualify for the Best Price Guarantee."

So that's about as crystal clear as you can get. You must not book the rate with breakfast if that is not the cheapest.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by MKB
Moreover, at http://www.priorityclub.com/hotels/u...advantage/faqs it specifically states: "A guest must book the lowest available hotel room price through the Best Available price search - for the type of accommodations sought - in order to qualify for the Best Price Guarantee."

So that's about as crystal clear as you can get. You must not book the rate with breakfast if that is not the cheapest.
In the nicest possible way, you couldn't be more wrong, as even a cursory read of this thread will show. How do you think people are getting suites under the BRG? Do you really think the suite was the cheapest rate on ihg? You have to compare the rates for the same type of room, with the same features. If you are comparing a room with breakfast, then book the cheapest ihg room with breakfast. Room rates without breakfast would be irrelevant, even if they are cheaper.

I am baffled why this issue keeps coming up.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by MKB
Originally Posted by samwkchan
To be honest, you should book the rate with breakfast when you want to claim against a third-party rate with breakfast according to the terms and conditions.
With respect, that's not what that says. It specifies what rate will be used for comparison, not what rate to book.

But the real fact is that a room with certain add-on service or facilities is regarded as a different type from those without.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 6:17 pm
MKB

Originally Posted by Montacute
In the nicest possible way, you couldn't be more wrong, as even a cursory read of this thread will show. How do you think people are getting suites under the BRG? Do you really think the suite was the cheapest rate on ihg? You have to compare the rates for the same type of room, with the same features. If you are comparing a room with breakfast, then book the cheapest ihg room with breakfast. Room rates without breakfast would be irrelevant, even if they are cheaper.
??? Sorry, but I don't understand your posting. You appear to be arguing against a position different from the one I took.

I argued that if there are various rates for a given room type, the terms say you must book the cheapest rate for that room type.

You seem to think I said that you must book the cheapest room type, which I did not.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by MKB
??? Sorry, but I don't understand your posting. You appear to be arguing against a position different from the one I took.

You seem to think I said that you must book the cheapest room type, which I did not.
Actually, you kind of did:

Originally Posted by MKB
You must not book the rate with breakfast if that is not the cheapest.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
You seem to be missing the point. There is no mention of excluding consideration ofnon-governmental authority fees. If tax is $20 night - that's the government fees. If the 3rd party website is charging total taxes/fees of $24/night, then $4/night is non-governmental ie charges by the website. So the total amount of Room rate pre-taxes and website non-governmental charges is $150+$4 = $154/night which is exactly the same as the IHG rate . The after tax rate is also identical on both websites +/- 1c. So the pre-Gov taxes rate is the same, the post-Gov taxes and website fees is the same - so where is the 3rd party better rate?
I see the point you are making but it isn't specifically relevant to the situation I have encountered. The competitor site lists "taxes," not "taxes and fees." I don't know how a competitor site determines how much taxes will be when it chooses an amount to list; in some cases it may even be mistaken as to what taxes will be due (maybe figuring a local charge is due when it is not? I don't know). All I know is, when the competitor site says "taxes," I figure it means "taxes." My understanding--and practice that has been successful until now--was to compare the base rates only.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 10:59 am
MKB

Actually, you kind of did:
Actually, I kind of didn't!

I think you are confusing room types with rate types.

I have consistently said what IHG.com says, namely that you must book the cheapest rate type for the same room type.

I have never said you must book the cheapest room type.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by melehundele
I see the point you are making but it isn't specifically relevant to the situation I have encountered. The competitor site lists "taxes," not "taxes and fees." I don't know how a competitor site determines how much taxes will be when it chooses an amount to list; in some cases it may even be mistaken as to what taxes will be due (maybe figuring a local charge is due when it is not? I don't know). All I know is, when the competitor site says "taxes," I figure it means "taxes." My understanding--and practice that has been successful until now--was to compare the base rates only.
If you can see no relevance of my explanation (utilising the specifics of your situation) then I don't think it can be explained any more clearly.From IHG's point of view (which I share) Total Room Charge minus Governrment Taxes/Charges is exactly the same on both websites which is what they say they will consider in a BRG case. If the 3rd party website doesn't explain adequately the breakdown of the taxes it charges that is not IHG's problem. The taxes are clearly defined by the government and aren't higher because you are booking through a 3rd party site. So any higher amount quoted by the website in its charges IHG can only reasonably assume is part of the website's cut _ iHG does not have to try to work out why the 3rd party site is charging more in taxes. I agree with IHG on this one (which is something I rarely do on BRG rejections) and you will have to continue to feel aggrieved.

As an example of how precisely IHG looks at these here is an example of how they worked out a BRG claim of mine:
The lower rate we have verified is at 313.86 USD exclusive of tax and service charges. Please see computation as below.

IHG rate for a 1 KING BED DELUXE with Breakfast: 553 USD per room per night exclusive of tax and sc

TAX: 5.25% per night and 6.00 USD not included in rate effective 9 November, 2011 thru 11 November, 2011

Service Charge: 2.00 USD per guest per night not included in rate effective 9 November, 2011 thru 11
November, 2011

TPI : 654 AUD ==> 676.661 USD total rate for 2 nights including tax and sc

676.661 USD / 2 nights = 338.3305 per room per night including tax and sc

338.3305 - 8 USD (tax and SC) = 330.3305

330.3305 / 1.0525 = 322.27365853658536585365853658537 ==> 313.86 USD ==> Lower rate verified exclusive of tax and sc

As you can see IHG takes the total 3rd party charge, removes what it knows to be the defined government taxes and charges and compares that result to the IHG base rate. In your case $154-$20 =$134: both rates identical;BRG denied. Its what they say they do and its what they did. The fact that in the past you may have had a claim approved that may not have actually qualified doesn't make all of the above irrelevant to this claim.

Last edited by 3544quebec; Dec 4, 2011 at 1:00 pm
Old Dec 4, 2011, 12:28 pm

OK, this exchange has gotten tiresome. You argued with samkchan too when he correctly pointed out your error. Here is the bottom line: Your statement below is absolutely wrong!!!

Originally Posted by MKB
You must not book the rate with breakfast if that is not the cheapest.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 12:43 pm
MKB

OK, this exchange has gotten tiresome. You argued with samkchan too when he correctly pointed out your error. Here is the bottom line: Your statement below is absolutely wrong!!!
You keep making statements of opinion, whereas I quoted from the rules to back up what I said. I am sorry if you find my doing that "tiresome". This site is surely supposed to be about helping out each other rather than engaging in needlessly emotive arguments?

You say that this statement is not true: "You must not book the rate with breakfast if that is not the cheapest."

Yet, IHG.com says "A guest must book the lowest available hotel room price through the Best Available price search - for the type of accommodations sought - in order to qualify for the Best Price Guarantee."

So, let's say the room type is "Executive Double" and the cheapest rate on the Best Available price search is £100 and the rate with breakfast is £110. According to the IHG.com statement, the guest must book the £100 rate.

If the competing rate is a with-breakfast rate, the comparison will be with £110, but the rule states you must still book the cheapest rate on IHG.com, i.e. the £100 without breakfast rate.

If you think differently, please explain how you reconcile your position with what IHG.com actually says.

Or, is your position that IHG's application of the rules is different from what those rules say?
Old Dec 4, 2011, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by MKB
You keep making statements of opinion, whereas I quoted from the rules to back up what I said. I am sorry if you find my doing that "tiresome". This site is surely supposed to be about helping out each other rather than engaging in needlessly emotive arguments?

You say that this statement is not true: "You must not book the rate with breakfast if that is not the cheapest."

Yet, IHG.com says "A guest must book the lowest available hotel room price through the Best Available price search - for the type of accommodations sought - in order to qualify for the Best Price Guarantee."

So, let's say the room type is "Executive Double" and the cheapest rate on the Best Available price search is £100 and the rate with breakfast is £110. According to the IHG.com statement, the guest must book the £100 rate.

If the competing rate is a with-breakfast rate, the comparison will be with £110, but the rule states you must still book the cheapest rate on IHG.com, i.e. the £100 without breakfast rate.

If you think differently, please explain how you reconcile your position with what IHG.com actually says.

Or, is your position that IHG's application of the rules is different from what those rules say?

I am not giving you an opinion. I am giving you fact. I know this because I have had three successful breakfast BRG claims, even though the rate without breakfast was cheaper. I have explained this before upthread, as I told you. Why don't you try reading the thread?? You have become incredibly exasperating!

The key in the t&c is "FOR THE TYPE OF ACCOMMODATIONS SOUGHT".

A room WITH BREAKFAST is a DIFFERENT TYPE of accommodation than a room WITHOUT BREAKFAST. Get it? Now please stop misleading others reading this thread with your 100% wrong reading of the rules.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 3:50 pm
MKB

I am not giving you an opinion. I am giving you fact. I know this because I have had three successful breakfast BRG claims, even though the rate without breakfast was cheaper. I have explained this before upthread, as I told you. Why don't you try reading the thread?? You have become incredibly exasperating!

The key in the t&c is "FOR THE TYPE OF ACCOMMODATIONS SOUGHT".

A room WITH BREAKFAST is a DIFFERENT TYPE of accommodation than a room WITHOUT BREAKFAST. Get it? Now please stop misleading others reading this thread with your 100% wrong reading of the rules.
I really don't understand why you have to be so rude and cannot explain yourself in a civil manner.

All you had to say was that IHG are interpreting the expression "type of accommodation" to refer to the combination of room type plus any package elements rather than just room type. This would have been useful information because it's certainly not how I'm sure most people would interpret it, and it's not included in IHG's definitions.

You could have explained that at the outset rather than being so antagonistic.

Last edited by MKB; Dec 4, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.