Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by yoyo
Thanks. Will give it a try. Hard to believe they will comp me for a $500 night but it doesn't hurt to try it. Also I think i need to pay at booking time with CC for expedia.com (assume same for IHG?), is that an issue?
Well if you're comparing AP rates, they both need to be paid for up front, right?

I have to admit they can be strange on the cancellation policies. My friend had a claim denied because IHG had a refundable rate (they would charge your card only on check out) and he wanted to compare against a rate that would charge you right away but allowed you to cancel. In that case, the rep said IHG's deal was better since they didn't hold your money. In that case, however, the AP rate on IHG was still higher than the pay-now-but-you-can-cancel rate on the other site, so I told him to call back and switch to the AP rate and it went through. If you're comparing AP rates, you shouldn't have a problem.

And they comped my mom's $575 hotel so don't see why they won't do yours...
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:12 pm

At all my successful BRG claims, the rate could not be adjusted and they sent me a check. First I thought this really sucks, but then I noticed that they a) give me points for the stay and b) reimburse the full hotel bill including all charges! So I'm totally ok with that.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
back from japan. IC TYO works mega well with BRG. as an AMB we got upgraded as well!
Old Nov 15, 2011, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by mabramovich
Thanks. Will give it a try. Hard to believe they will comp me for a $500 night but it doesn't hurt to try it. Also I think i need to pay at booking time with CC for expedia.com (assume same for IHG?), is that an issue?
Well if you're comparing AP rates, they both need to be paid for up front, right?

I have to admit they can be strange on the cancellation policies. My friend had a claim denied because IHG had a refundable rate (they would charge your card only on check out) and he wanted to compare against a rate that would charge you right away but allowed you to cancel. In that case, the rep said IHG's deal was better since they didn't hold your money. In that case, however, the AP rate on IHG was still higher than the pay-now-but-you-can-cancel rate on the other site, so I told him to call back and switch to the AP rate and it went through. If you're comparing AP rates, you shouldn't have a problem.

And they comped my mom's $575 hotel so don't see why they won't do yours...
Right. Also OT: IHG is quoting with non-USD, does that mean I am better off booking with a CC with no foreign transaction fee?
Old Nov 15, 2011, 8:24 am

I believe so. You can compare rooms of the same type. You can always book the refundable rate on IHG, phone up the desk, and get them to verify the lower rate. They will then tell you that a lower rate exists but that you are ineligible because you didn't buy the cheapest rate (for that room), which is the AP rate. You can then offer to modify your reservation to the AP rate while they are on the phone with you. That's what I've done -- so there's no risk to try it.
But if they decide to deny your claim then you are stuck with a none refundable room which were cheaper to book on a 3rd party website (plus refundable), correct?
Old Nov 15, 2011, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
But if they decide to deny your claim then you are stuck with a none refundable room which were cheaper to book on a 3rd party website (plus refundable), correct?
Yes.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 9:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Celebrity Cruises Elite Plus
I believe so. You can compare rooms of the same type. You can always book the refundable rate on IHG, phone up the desk, and get them to verify the lower rate. They will then tell you that a lower rate exists but that you are ineligible because you didn't buy the cheapest rate (for that room), which is the AP rate. You can then offer to modify your reservation to the AP rate while they are on the phone with you. That's what I've done -- so there's no risk to try it.
When you modify your booking to advance pay with the BRG rep on the phone, at what point is your purchase refunded assuming your claim is approved and in the case of a one night (free) stay?
Old Nov 15, 2011, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by BEAV
When you modify your booking to advance pay with the BRG rep on the phone, at what point is your purchase refunded assuming your claim is approved and in the case of a one night (free) stay?
In my last stay, I was never charged (well, except for the one cent on check out).
Old Nov 15, 2011, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by kipper
Yes.
How so? You're not booking the room on the third party site. You're just comparing it to the IHG rate.

If they decide to deny your claim, you cancel your refundable room on IHG.

Basically, find (but don't book) a cheaper room than IHG somewhere else (othersite.com). Then book a refundable room on IHG for the rate higher than othersite. Now phone up BRG. If they weasel out of the claim, cancel your refundable rate. If they want to accept the claim but won't because there was an AP rate on IHG, switch to the AP rate while on the phone (which is hopefully and likely still higher than the rate at othersite.com, whether or not the rate was refundable or not).
Old Nov 15, 2011, 9:22 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Celebrity Cruises Elite Plus
In my last stay, I was never charged (well, except for the one cent on check out).
But in order for the BRG agent to confirm you've switched to an AP rate, don't you have to physically pay for it before they can view on their end? (pardon my ignorance here!)
Old Nov 15, 2011, 9:25 am

WTH? as soon as I booked a refundable suite (king bed) on IHG, all the availability of that type of room are gone from the IHG site for that date. i.e. searching in IHG no longer yield any suite (king bed for 2 adults 1 kid). Expedia.com still shows these suites for a much lower price. I am calling them to do a BRG.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by BEAV
But in order for the BRG agent to confirm you've switched to an AP rate, don't you have to physically pay for it before they can view on their end? (pardon my ignorance here!)
AP for IHG means you'll be charged sometime between booking and checkout. When you modify your reservation to AP online it doesn't necessarily charge your card right there. It may or may not.

I had a paid stay on an AP rate at the Holiday Inn Philly Airport and I still settled the room on checkout. They just said if I didn't show up they'd still charge me. I guess it varies from hotel to hotel.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
How so? You're not booking the room on the third party site. You're just comparing it to the IHG rate.

If they decide to deny your claim, you cancel your refundable room on IHG.

Basically, find (but don't book) a cheaper room than IHG somewhere else (othersite.com). Then book a refundable room on IHG for the rate higher than othersite. Now phone up BRG. If they weasel out of the claim, cancel your refundable rate. If they want to accept the claim but won't because there was an AP rate on IHG, switch to the AP rate while on the phone (which is hopefully and likely still higher than the rate at othersite.com, whether or not the rate was refundable or not).
You're comparing the third-party rate, but if you switch to an AP rate, but they still refuse to honor the BRG, you are out the cost of the AP room, since you can no longer cancel the rate.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by kipper
You're comparing the third-party rate, but if you switch to an AP rate, but they still refuse to honor the BRG, you are out the cost of the AP room, since you can no longer cancel the rate.
True, but why would that happen? My conversations have gone like this:

"Sir, we were able to verify the lower rate on othersite, but you're ineligible for the BRG because you should have bought the best available rate on IHG.com, which is the AP rate."

"Oh, ok, but if I were to have an AP rate, my BRG claim would be approved, yes?"

"That is correct, sir."

"Ok, can I change to the AP rate right now? It'll only take a second. Would you mind staying on the line?"

"Ok sir, I see you've made the change to the AP rate. We can now approve your claim since we were able to verify the lower rate on othersite. Your reference number is 12345678 and we'll now request the adjusted (free) rate from the hotel. We'll send you an email when we hear back."
Old Nov 15, 2011, 2:28 pm
Company Representative - InterContinental Hotels

Programs: IHG Rewards Club
IHG Best Price Guarantee Support Desk

Hello All:

I want to thank mabramovich and several others for bringing to my attention the discrepancies of the Call Center Contact Hours of Operations on our sites. I deeply apologize for the inconvenience you have encountered.

You are correct the Hours of Operations for English is 24 Hours Per Day.

Please use the below link for contact details should you need to speak with a Best Price Guarantee Agent.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/6c/.../guestrel.html

I believe I have the hours of operations correct and up to date on all our our links. Should you see a discrepancy please send me a PM with the site (or link) and I'll be happy to work to get it corrected.

I'm very sorry for the confusion this has caused.

Kevin.
IHGCare

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.