Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2013, 11:49 am

Programs: SPG platinum; UA plus member; Delta Member; HHornors Gold, Priority Club Platinum
I don't think anyone has any luck claiming anywhere right now. The average wait time is a week. So the slim chance you find a lower rate, say 5%, then times the possibility a valid claim will actually get approved, say 10%, that is 5%*10%=0.5%
That means if you look up 200 hotels you look up you might get an approval after about a week waiting.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 12:31 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Gold, BW Diamond, Club Carlson Silver
I've noticed something...

There have been instances where my claims (against Best Flex) were approved despite the OTA site having a *slightly* more restrictive cancel policy. We're talking a day or two difference. In virtually all those cases, the OTA rate was less than the Advance Purchase rate, and was cancellable. In other words, I'd say it doesn't hurt to try your luck if you are able to cancel if it gets denied. A recent case would be for a Junior Suite at the IC ORD. Needed a place to stay for a 9 hour layover in ORD. Tried to claim against IC ORD and was denied. I then managed to get a pretty good Marriott LNF for one of the properties out there. Then, a few days later, I decided to try my luck again with the IC using a new reservation. It was approved this time. Hotel accepted their loss and its showing as comp.

I guess it depends on the agent.

As I said, you've got nothing to lose if claiming against Best Flex. If it gets denied just cancel and keep looking!
Old Dec 22, 2013, 4:22 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by scubaccr
You can only BRG an OTA rate against an IHG room you reserved on IHG websites. You can not BRG against Award night as you are not payng for the room.

I have never seen or heard of any hotel with a room on Award (points) without also being available to book as a paid night. Maybe your search is set to award Nights instead of Best Available?
Nope, pretty weird in my opinion, too. The lowest category room "superiour" is available for 10k points, whereas "deluxe" is cash only.

Originally Posted by scubaccr
Your IHG and OTA rates must be in same currency, that means the currency OTA bills your credit card, which is known to vary from the currency OTA displays room rates in.

Also selecting OTA currency display from a pulldown option is no help as OTA will charge in their chosen currency.
Ouch, that's definitely a showstopper in my case!
Old Dec 22, 2013, 6:56 am

Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
Originally Posted by cober6711
I've noticed something...

There have been instances where my claims (against Best Flex) were approved despite the OTA site having a *slightly* more restrictive cancel policy. We're talking a day or two difference. In virtually all those cases, the OTA rate was less than the Advance Purchase rate, and was cancellable. In other words, I'd say it doesn't hurt to try your luck if you are able to cancel if it gets denied. A recent case would be for a Junior Suite at the IC ORD. Needed a place to stay for a 9 hour layover in ORD. Tried to claim against IC ORD and was denied. I then managed to get a pretty good Marriott LNF for one of the properties out there. Then, a few days later, I decided to try my luck again with the IC using a new reservation. It was approved this time. Hotel accepted their loss and its showing as comp.

I guess it depends on the agent.

As I said, you've got nothing to lose if claiming against Best Flex. If it gets denied just cancel and keep looking!
Is this before or after the changes to calling in etc?
Old Dec 22, 2013, 8:10 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Gold, BW Diamond, Club Carlson Silver
Originally Posted by mitpat474
Is this before or after the changes to calling in etc?
Both, actually
Old Dec 22, 2013, 9:05 am

Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
Originally Posted by cober6711
Both, actually
interesting, after the changes they were super strict about cancellation terms, I'm sure a lot here would agree, unless of course very recently they have become more relaxed. In which case I may just have a little test.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 10:26 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond
Quick question: is it normal that I haven't heard back after more than 3 days of submitting a claim? I contacted them on twitter, but they say they have no idea.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Oxymore
Quick question: is it normal that I haven't heard back after more than 3 days of submitting a claim? I contacted them on twitter, but they say they have no idea.
Yes, at least currently. I had to wait over a week for my response. Others are experiencing similar time frames.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 11:49 am

Programs: SPG platinum; UA plus member; Delta Member; HHornors Gold, Priority Club Platinum
If you read some recent posts in this thread you will see.
Try calling their so called "guest relations", no sympathy, their customer service quality is as bad as words has it on the streets, non-existent.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 4:00 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

stevie, I think we all know your thoughts. merry christmas.

the holidays may be slowing things, but I heard in 48 hours earlier this week. unfortunately, as with many companies, BRG has dedicated agents, so general customer care won't be able to help.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 4:29 pm

Adam, I think we all know your thoughts as well.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222
stevie, I think we all know your thoughts. merry christmas.

the holidays may be slowing things, but I heard in 48 hours earlier this week. unfortunately, as with many companies, BRG has dedicated agents, so general customer care won't be able to help.
IHG must be so glad they have such a dedicated loyal customer out here shielding and defending them, they should really pay you you know

Also point of information, even though BRG has their agents, other program's customer care occasionally do help.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 6:32 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
How about this Stevie, ill stick to answering questions and sharing my real experiences, and not generally making platitudes about the program (which I haven't done), if you stop making wildly generic statements based on your experiences, discouraging dialogue and being nonresponsive to people's questions.
As a bonus, I'd be happy to work with you next time you try to get a free room, and explain how it might be noncompliant with the admittedly complicated BRG rules. In exchange, you just need to stop suggesting I have an improper agenda simply for sharing my successful BRGs, and impugning my integrity simply for being better at getting BRGs than you. ( I have no special connection to IHG and have had plenty of cruddy stays.) deal?
Old Dec 23, 2013, 7:46 am

I've successfully claimed a few awards in the last year and some that have been denied. But this denial has been one that I feel they are really reaching just to deny.

"[I]Thank you for contacting our office regarding the Best Price Guarantee in reference to rates at the InterContinental. We appreciate the opportunity to assist you with this matter.

As per the terms of the program, All terms of the comparison room reservation, including, but not limited to pre-payment, deposit, number of guests, or other requirements must be equal in all respects to the terms found on an IHG website for your claim to be valid. For example, when you book a room that may be cancelled without penalty on an IHG website, you may not compare it to a room with a pre-paid or non-refundable price on a non-IHG website. At hotels in Greater China, however, pre-paid rates on non-IHG sites will be compared with the IHG hotel's lowest available rate. The Guarantee is not available for bookings on websites where the booking details are unknown until after purchase. Sites that do not reveal the hotel brand name until after the payment has been completed (including bidding sites) do not qualify for this Guarantee.

Please be advised that the rate on www.elvoline.com is restricted and cannot be compared to the Best Flexible Rate on IHG.

Cancellation Policy: www.elvoline.com Free to cancell until 2014-03-11 (2 days before arrival).If cancelled from 2014-03-12 00:00 GMT+1: 100 percent of the total price of the reservation (409.20 EUR) will be charged (hotel policy).

Cancellation Policy: IHGCanceling your reservation before 4:00 PM (local hotel time) on Thursday, 13 March, 2014 will result in no charge.Canceling your reservation after 4:00 PM (local hotel time) on 13 March, 2014, or failing to show, will result in a charge of 1 night per room to your credit card. Taxes may apply. Failing to call or show before check-out time after the first night of a reservation will result in cancellation of the remainder of your reservation.

Since the lower rate does not have the same rate restriction as IHG’s your claim won’t qualify for the Best Price Guarantee.

Has anyone been successful appealing this type of denial?
Old Dec 23, 2013, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by mitpat474
interesting, after the changes they were super strict about cancellation terms, I'm sure a lot here would agree, unless of course very recently they have become more relaxed. In which case I may just have a little test.
I have come to the conclusion that it depends on the agent.

If the cancel policy is waaaaaaay off (i.e. the OTA allows cancellation up to 7 days prior whereas hotel allows cancellations up until a day before) then things seem to get denied. If it is maybe a four versus one ratio then things seem to go through most of the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.