Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2013, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by golmaale
You seem to have misunderstood me - I am asking whether the BRG agents are provided some kind of incentive for denying BRG claims.
I don't think so. I have always found them trying their best to help you out.

If you post why your claim was denied we can help advise why. If its a valid claim then they normally don't deny it.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 2:15 am

Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
Originally Posted by FedUp2
This UK OTA's cancellation terms include the following text
Please note - the cancellation charges are based on the number of days between the date of cancellation and the check-in date.

More than 14 days before departure - 20% of booking value, 100% for all non-refundable rooms.

14 days or less before departure - 100% of booking value

Please note these are our costs and do not include any charges applied by the Travel Provider as detailed in their Booking Conditions.
Does this mean that in case an APR booking is cancelled, they can charge 200% of the room rate (100% for the hotel + 100% for the OTA)? Would IHG deny a BRG claim on that ground?

On another note, has anyone had any grief from the IHG BRG team on account of Travel Republic's £1 deposit scheme?
As far as I know the £1 rule stopped working a few months ago, they let some claims go through initially (good times) then started quoting it and denying the claims.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 8:20 am

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
Changing Type of Room AFTER BRG is Approved, but Before I Receive My Check

I booked my first BRG through IHG in mid-May for a stay coming up next week. I was told that it was approved.

Today, I received an email from IHG stating that the hotel rate could not be changed and that to make good on the BRG, IHG would be sending me a check for the amount paid 4-6 weeks after check out. Fine.

My dilemma: I originally booked a king-sized bed because I expected to stay alone. However, now a friend is coming on the trip with me, so I would like two queen-sized beds instead. I understand that to qualify for the BRG, the compared rooms have to be identical which they were (king vs. king). But the BRG has now been approved, and I am wondering if it is possible to request, at check-in, a room with two queen beds, or if the BRG folks at IHG will, then, check the room type used before sending me the check and then void the BRG and not send me the check.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you!
Old Jul 29, 2013, 8:33 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by sinfonia
I booked my first BRG through IHG in mid-May for a stay coming up next week. I was told that it was approved.

Today, I received an email from IHG stating that the hotel rate could not be changed and that to make good on the BRG, IHG would be sending me a check for the amount paid 4-6 weeks after check out. Fine.

My dilemma: I originally booked a king-sized bed because I expected to stay alone. However, now a friend is coming on the trip with me, so I would like two queen-sized beds instead. I understand that to qualify for the BRG, the compared rooms have to be identical which they were (king vs. king). But the BRG has now been approved, and I am wondering if it is possible to request, at check-in, a room with two queen beds, or if the BRG folks at IHG will, then, check the room type used before sending me the check and then void the BRG and not send me the check.

This one is tricky. Officially, if you booked it for one guest, then you cannot change for risk of voiding the BRG. If you did book for two guests, though, then I would just ask the hotel directly and say you don't feel like sleeping with your "partner" anymore. That shouldn't be an issue
Old Jul 29, 2013, 8:44 am

When you get to the hotel just request a twin room, it won't be guaranteed though. Don't contact BRG or the hotel in advance in case it technically changes your reservation.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 8:48 am

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
Thanks to both of you for the advice. If I request two beds at the time of check-in at the hotel, does that typically amend the official reservation so that the BRG folks can look at the reservation after the stay, see that it's now two queens instead of one king, and then deny the BRG? Thanks again!
Old Jul 29, 2013, 8:55 am

Thanks to both of you for the advice. If I request two beds at the time of check-in at the hotel, does that typically amend the official reservation so that the BRG folks can look at the reservation after the stay, see that it's now two queens instead of one king, and then deny the BRG? Thanks again!
The most important question is whether you requested 2 guests or not when you did the BRG.

The configuration of guests does not matter, in my view. If necessary, just come up with a reason that you had a fight with the other guest and you wouldn't sleep with them anymore (or alternatively: depending on the location you're going to, make huge eyes and question their societal perceptions and demand separate beds since you aren't married/are married/whatever, you get the point), put them in a very uncomfortable position and just do the social engineering angle. =)

But if you only booked 1 guest, it's another story.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 8:59 am

Ive had a few stays where I have booked as 1 guest but on check in added another name - which has been ok for me.

Best thing to do is just ask for a twin and see what they say, I'm pretty sure you will be ok.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
The most important question is whether you requested 2 guests or not when you did the BRG.

The configuration of guests does not matter, in my view. If necessary, just come up with a reason that you had a fight with the other guest and you wouldn't sleep with them anymore (or alternatively: depending on the location you're going to, make huge eyes and question their societal perceptions and demand separate beds since you aren't married/are married/whatever, you get the point), put them in a very uncomfortable position and just do the social engineering angle. =)

But if you only booked 1 guest, it's another story.
Pretty funny!

Unfortunately, stupid me, I booked it for only one person. Sounds like I might be stuck . . . thanks for the feedback!
Old Jul 29, 2013, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by mitpat474
Ive had a few stays where I have booked as 1 guest but on check in added another name - which has been ok for me.

Best thing to do is just ask for a twin and see what they say, I'm pretty sure you will be ok.
Thanks!
Old Jul 29, 2013, 9:32 am

Pretty funny!

Unfortunately, stupid me, I booked it for only one person. Sounds like I might be stuck . . . thanks for the feedback!
Yeah as mitpat says: ask for a twin room, then sneak in your friend. Best way.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Yeah as mitpat says: ask for a twin room, then sneak in your friend. Best way.
Will do. Thanks to both of you for your help!
Old Jul 29, 2013, 10:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mitpat474
As far as I know the £1 rule stopped working a few months ago, they let some claims go through initially (good times) then started quoting it and denying the claims.
I'm afraid I do not follow you: What is the "£1 rule"? I only mentioned £1, because travelrepublic allows you to book rooms with just £1 down (deposit).

Do you mean to say that that is a ground for a BRG claim to be denied? How so, when the £1 deposit is entirely voluntary? A client can choose to pay 100% deposit (and not merely £1), in which case it becomes comparable to IHG's Advance Rates.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by FedUp2
I'm afraid I do not follow you: What is the "£1 rule"? I only mentioned £1, because travelrepublic allows you to book rooms with just £1 down (deposit).

Do you mean to say that that is a ground for a BRG claim to be denied? How so, when the £1 deposit is entirely voluntary? A client can choose to pay 100% deposit (and not merely £1), in which case it becomes comparable to IHG's Advance Rates.
If your going to use £1 rate to compare against a ADR then sure thats ok, but typically when I used them it was for best flex and that is grounds to deny.

I quote a response for a slightly different third party site:

"As per the terms of the program, all price or rate terms, including, but not limited to pre-payment, deposit or other requirements must be equal to or more restrictive than the terms found on an IHG website to be used for comparison. For example, when you book a room that may be cancelled without penalty on an IHG website, you may not compare it to a room with a pre-paid or non-refundable price on a non-IHG website. If, however, you book a pre-paid or non-refundable rate on an IHG website, you may compare it to a cancellable or refundable rate on a non-IHG website. The Best Price Guarantee is not available for bookings on websites where the booking details are unknown until after purchase."
Old Jul 29, 2013, 2:03 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold

Two part answer...
a)I don't think two people turning up is an issue, as it is a double not single room booked. Even if asked on day you lodge BRG you don't have to name second person despite IHG asking and that is OK as sometimes you don't know...... It is always the room type max occupancy that is important not the select box number of people you submitted when booking whether paid/points/brg.

b)I don't see your IHG elite status, but BRG's still qualify for Platinum bennies which may include room upgrade at a CP/HI/HIX, which means hotel may be upgrading room type anyway.
Simply ask at checkin for 2x doubles or 2x singles, as long as not all room bed types for your room class already allocated to reservations hotels will usually allow a swap.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.