Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Old Jul 22, 2013, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mgn2000
HI,
I have a BRG approved for Feb 1 2014. Can I reserve rooms for Feb 2,3,4 as Rewards nights at the same Hotel ??
If I did this, will they cancel my BRG ??
I have done that before and didn't face any issues.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 5:27 pm

Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
Originally Posted by mgn2000
HI,
I have a BRG approved for Feb 1 2014. Can I reserve rooms for Feb 2,3,4 as Rewards nights at the same Hotel ??
If I did this, will they cancel my BRG ??
This is fine just don't bolt any other BRGs to the stay. ( yes the stay is all 4 nights consecutively within 50 miles)
Old Jul 23, 2013, 4:27 am

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
On the rather large BRG check in the mail today, the check ended up being about USD $20 less than the amount I paid on my credit card this time.

Anyway, I e-mailed them and they said if I provided a copy of the charge with the actually charged amount, they would send me another check for the difference.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 10:11 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I managed to find a lower rate for the Crown Plaza Causeway Bay Hong Kong. Rate was found at Prestigia.com for €238, whereas the rate at the IHG website is €248.

Now despite selecting € as my currency, the IHG website shows the rate in the local currency upon checkout. Will I still be able to get my BRG through or is it a no-go?
Old Jul 23, 2013, 10:19 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by LH4116
I managed to find a lower rate for the Crown Plaza Causeway Bay Hong Kong. Rate was found at Prestigia.com for 238, whereas the rate at the IHG website is 248.

Now despite selecting as my currency, the IHG website shows the rate in the local currency upon checkout. Will I still be able to get my BRG through or is it a no-go?
Unfortunately, it won't work. Selecting a currency does not set the billing currency.

The rule of thumb is this: with the exception of weird countries with currencies that nobody cares about (like Russia ), just assume that you must find a competing rate in that country's currency.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA, BA, Delta, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
..., argue that "in a few hours, your own will become nonref, would you like me to waste everybody's time by resubmitting in three hours from now?"

This worked for me.
Whether I don't follow your logic, or you misunderstood me. The rate can be cancelled let's say up to the day of arrival: one - till 12 pm, IHG - till 6 pm. I don't think you can do BRG on the day of arrival plus who knows what the price will be on that day.

But since you are suggesting what to do....and used that argument before...I wonder what was the date of arrival vs cancellation date.

PS I just checked - cancellation is 3 days before arrival. What is the minimum number of days required before stay to do a BRG claim?
Old Jul 23, 2013, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by ellylex
Whether I don't follow your logic, or you misunderstood me. The rate can be cancelled let's say up to the day of arrival: one - till 12 pm, IHG - till 6 pm. I don't think you can do BRG on the day of arrival plus who knows what the price will be on that day.

But since you are suggesting what to do....and used that argument before...I wonder what was the date of arrival vs cancellation date.
I find prices don't necessarily go up the day before with main chain hotels, unless there's something highly unusual that happens and the hotel gets booked up. But here is how my experience went (dates hypothetical, for ease of reading):

- I needed to be in the city on the 3rd
- IHG.com's fully flex rate allowed cancellation up to 6pm on the 2nd
- competing website was up to 6pm on the 1st
- I booked on the 2nd at noon and got denied at 2pm based on the cancellation policy difference
- I replied to the email and said look, if the only reason is cancellation policy, I'll go and wait 3 hours and resubmit again, let's all go waste our time
- got approved within about an hour (and before 6pm, surprisingly).
Old Jul 23, 2013, 12:51 pm
GmK

Programs: A few
A very wonderful page for competing rates changed their T&C quietly last night, effectively killing all possibilities to use it for BRGs. Many of us probably used it for Great Britain and much of Europe.
One of their different-language versions still uses the old T&C, so I suggest claiming until they translated them to be used there as well...

Oh well - off to new ventures!
Old Jul 23, 2013, 12:54 pm

Which one, and changed how? (esp considering it can't be used anymore, hehe)
Old Jul 23, 2013, 1:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: ゴールデングローブ
Conditions for Matching Rooms

Conditions for Matching Rooms
Matching Rooms. The Best Price Guarantee is available only for the exact same room type. For example, if you book a king bed with a sofa bed room type on an IHG website, and are comparing it to a non-IHG website, you must find a price with the same king bed with sofa bed room type on the other website.

IHG Website
STANDARD ROOM
View Description
SFr. 120.00 CHF
Nightly Rate
ROOM DESCRIPTION:
STANDARD ROOM

WHEN YOU ARRIVE WE WILL DO OUR BEST TO MEET YOUR ROOM AND BED TYPE PREFERENCES THESE ARE SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY AND CANNOT BE GUARANTEED STANDARD ROOMS HAVE A MAXIMUM CAPACITY OF 2 GUESTS

3rd Party Website
Double Room
Capacity:
2 Adult(s), 0 Child(ren) Room 114 CHF /night
Best Price 114 CHF
(1 Nights)

Match or no Match?
Will they match this or is there some small print which they want to deny my claim?
Old Jul 23, 2013, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by LH4116
I managed to find a lower rate for the Crown Plaza Causeway Bay Hong Kong. Rate was found at Prestigia.com for €238, whereas the rate at the IHG website is €248.

Now despite selecting € as my currency, the IHG website shows the rate in the local currency upon checkout. Will I still be able to get my BRG through or is it a no-go?
Prestigia will only for work Euro:

I tried for Uk and got denied and the BRG agent sent me this for justification.

Old Jul 23, 2013, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by GmK
A very wonderful page for competing rates changed their T&C quietly last night, effectively killing all possibilities to use it for BRGs. Many of us probably used it for Great Britain and much of Europe.
One of their different-language versions still uses the old T&C, so I suggest claiming until they translated them to be used there as well...

Oh well - off to new ventures!
Could you PM which one please?
Old Jul 23, 2013, 2:36 pm
GmK

Programs: A few
Since when is the BRG Desk Hotline not 24/7 anymore? Am currently getting a message that the business hours of the lowest rate guarantee desk are 9am - 9pm, Monday to Friday... weird.

EDIT: Seems they randomly forward your call to that message. Oh well. Never heard it before, so got confused. After the 7th attempt I got a regular agent again.

Last edited by GmK; Jul 23, 2013 at 2:50 pm
Old Jul 23, 2013, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by GmK
Since when is the BRG Desk Hotline not 24/7 anymore? Am currently getting a message that the business hours are 9am - 9pm... weird.
Hmm just tried it, kept ringing then went to some funny dead tone :S
Old Jul 23, 2013, 8:11 pm

IHG always claims to have the lowest available price right? so when I can find a cheaper rate on a third party website that excludes breakfast for $199 but on IHG.com the cheapest available rate is $239 with breakfast, should I be eligible for a free night? I understand that the rooms must be 'apples-to-apples' but If they aren't offering the cheaper rate without the breakfast, it defeats the whole purpose of their BRG promise:

Best Price Guarantee: Every hotel reservation booked through an IHG web site is guaranteed to have the lowest room price (room rate) or total room cost (including all taxes and fees) publicly available on the Internet or IHG will provide the first nights room price free and match the lower average nightly room price found for that stay for the rest of the nights of that stay

Any thoughts? can the hotel do this without breaking the T & C's?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.