Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2013, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by packfanlv
I received an email yesterday from a corporate liaison in the President's office (I figured out his email address and sent a plea for help) and was told they wouldn't charge me the cancellation fee. She also said she is going to look into the rest of it and get back to me in the next few days. The cancellation fee hit the credit card the next morning, so they will have to reverse it. At this point I am waiting to hear back, but considering I decided not to stay in the hotel, I am glad that I am not out the cancellation fee.
Any chance you could share the email address please? IHG still owes me EUR 120 for my BRG reimbursement and I tried contacting them via email but with no luck

Thanks in advance!
Old May 22, 2013, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Keyser
the billing currency would be inr actually since the property is in india....the prices are displayed in inr by default but the website has the ability to convert that into any other currency....
In general the billing currency is the default one shown on the IHG website. There's a facility to display indicative rates in a whole raft of currencies, but the rate you agree to is the one defined by IHG in its billing currency.

Yes, they will convert this to INR when it comes to paying the bill at the exchange rate in force. But the room price is defined in dollars: you simply pay the INR equivalent.

The do the same thing in many other countries. In Poland the IC billing currency is EUR but you'll pay in Zlotych. Et cetera.

So if the default currency in USD you need to find a third party billing in USD. And be careful, the third party must charge your card in that currency, not simply display it as an indicative rate.
Old May 22, 2013, 3:58 am

Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
Originally Posted by nacho
Any chance you could share the email address please? IHG still owes me EUR 120 for my BRG reimbursement and I tried contacting them via email but with no luck

Thanks in advance!
Why don't you just skype them? I 100% prefer speaking to them than ever emailing them, and to be honest I think the BRG are great... bear in mind they have approved 5 of 6 of my claims maybe I'm bias then..
Old May 22, 2013, 4:26 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by Dolphinyong
My friends were declined to check-in for 1 out of 2rooms they BRG at HI Manchester Airport last night. The Front Desk just told them that the reservation was cancelled and the hotel is fully booked.
If your friend had a booking for 2 rooms via the IHG website, and the hotel was saying they had oversold, then IHG rules state they have to book you into another hotel of similar quality for free.

"By securing your online reservation with a credit card, you are eligible for our Reservations Guarantee. If your reservation cannot be honoured, the host hotel will provide a room at, and transportation to, another convenient and comparable hotel, and pay for telephone calls to notify family of the lodging change. The host hotel will also pay the full cost of the first night's lodging rate, plus tax. Any advance deposit will be refunded."
Old May 22, 2013, 4:29 am

the billing currency would be inr actually since the property is in india....the prices are displayed in inr by default but the website has the ability to convert that into any other currency....
The billing currency on the IHG website is $. the competing website must also bill in $. The hotel's billing currency is irrelevant. Displayed currency is irrelevant. Its a clear rule.
Old May 22, 2013, 4:37 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
So I made a BRG against a hotel in Berlin.. They came back denying my claim with a screen shot of the booking engine showing a different hotel! I rebutted showing the correct hotel, which is not not available at the better price... I'm assuming this is a method they are using to decline the claim. It's a pretty bad practice I would say.
Old May 22, 2013, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by tangey
The billing currency on the IHG website is $. the competing website must also bill in $. The hotel's billing currency is irrelevant. Displayed currency is irrelevant. Its a clear rule.
ok....maybe i was not clear....the billing currency on the ihg website is in inr....i put down the $ equivalent because i thought it would be easier for the best claim guys to understand....

here is what the email said:

As per the terms of the program, the room price on the non-IHG website must be available in the currency of the hotel. The average nightly rate must be a minimum difference of 1% or $1 USD (or the equivalent in the hotel’s currency) of the IHG room rate, whichever is higher. The room price must be quoted, booked, and paid for in the currency of the hotel.

Since www. xxxxxxxx .co .in does not display rates in EUR (Euros) only in Indian rupees. With this, since your claim violates the stated terms and conditions above, your claim won’t qualify for the Best Price Guarantee.
why would they be concerned with euros????that makes no sense....also, they say the rate is only displayed in inr....so it doesn't seem like the displayed or billing currency is irrelevant as far as this email is concerned....

clear enough????
Old May 22, 2013, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
ok....maybe i was not clear....the billing currency on the ihg website is in inr....i put down the $ equivalent because i thought it would be easier for the best claim guys to understand....

here is what the email said:

why would they be concerned with euros????that makes no sense....also, they say the rate is only displayed in inr....so it doesn't seem like the displayed or billing currency is irrelevant as far as this email is concerned....

clear enough????
Keyser (if) IHG.com bills in India in INR and you can find a site that also bills in INR and shows the rate lower then you should have a valid claim. Maybe you confused the guy by quoting in Dollars. I would suggest you call them up rather then email.
Old May 22, 2013, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by onlysuites
Keyser (if) IHG.com bills in India in INR and you can find a site that also bills in INR and shows the rate lower then you should have a valid claim. Maybe you confused the guy by quoting in Dollars. I would suggest you call them up rather then email.
quite possible....i quoted both rates in dollars....will try again with inr....

what i don't understand is what this all has to do with euros, as the email states....
Old May 22, 2013, 6:00 am

Programs: Senator, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold
Any idea why replies are taking since one week about 12 hours?
Old May 22, 2013, 7:39 am

quite possible....i quoted both rates in dollars....will try again with inr....

what i don't understand is what this all has to do with euros, as the email states....
Ok you confused him and you confused me ! Indeed if both IHG and your competing site bill in the same currency, and its more than 1% etc, you have a match.
Old May 22, 2013, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok you confused him and you confused me ! Indeed if both IHG and your competing site bill in the same currency, and its more than 1% etc, you have a match.
that's what i thought....in any case, i've filled in the claim form again....hopefully will get a better result this time....
Old May 22, 2013, 9:41 am

If your friend had a booking for 2 rooms via the IHG website, and the hotel was saying they had oversold, then IHG rules state they have to book you into another hotel of similar quality for free.

"By securing your online reservation with a credit card, you are eligible for our Reservations Guarantee. If your reservation cannot be honoured, the host hotel will provide a room at, and transportation to, another convenient and comparable hotel, and pay for telephone calls to notify family of the lodging change. The host hotel will also pay the full cost of the first night's lodging rate, plus tax. Any advance deposit will be refunded."
Yeah, that's what I would do...but my friend just reluctant to argue with the hotel...he prefer to follow up with the BRG department which he already did, will see what's next.

Originally Posted by nacho
You can safeguard yourself against this, they can cancel your reservation at any time.

Has your friend's account being hacked?

I always bring a print out of the claim approval email to show them that the claim has been approved. I would probably contact the BRG and they will throw you 2k points as compensation.
Nope, his account wasn't hacked, he didn't receive any notification regarding the reservation cancellation and it wasn't shown under 'cancelled reservations' section.

2k points is so little...

Regards.
Old May 22, 2013, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

Yet in your original post you say the IHG rate was in USD, and for our convenience you translated the third-party INR rate into USD. It gets more confusing

"the rate on ihg.com was $350 & i found a rate on an indian booking site for inr 17,290....that roughly translates to about $312....more than a 10% difference in the rates...."
Old May 22, 2013, 9:55 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HH D, IHG PA
I am still a newbie to this BRG game. Can someone advise if I notice a clear price difference for a room type which is not cheapest shown on IHG website, i.e. suites or club rooms vs standard rooms, would that still be a valid claim? Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.