Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2013, 5:41 pm

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by FlyingHigh20
Absolutely NOT TRUE, and you've stated this before, but this not accurate.

The laws are quite simple and the logic simple to understand why you are incorrect. The hotels, whether or not they are owned by IHG directly, agree to abide by ALL Terms and Restrictions on IHG's site if they are listed on there and the reservation is booked through that channel, as the credit card information is entered in on that site. Your assertion that the hotel does not have to agree to the BRG would basically mean that the hotel was free reign to make up their own rules after the charge goes through...including making up their own cancellation fees, adjusting the rate as they see fit, etc. The fact of the matter is, the consumer laws are very straight forward in this matter. If the hotel receives the booking via IHG's website, they have to agree to all terms or not accept the reservation at all, just as a consumer has to agree to all terms prior to booking.
I have never asserted that a hotel does have to agree to a BRG. Mind you there are loads of cases on this thread that testify that certain hotels are NOT agreeing to BRG cases, insist on charging the customer, and ultimately IHG pays up, not the hotel. And IHG equate this to getting the first night free, even though you pay and then get it reimbursed. Also please point me to the place on the IHG website that states the hotel will not charge for the first night on a BRG. It is worded very specifically.

The wording relating to a guaranteed reservation says:-
"If your reservation cannot be honored, the host hotel will provide a room at, and transportation to, another convenient and comparable hotel, and pay for telephone calls to notify family of the lodging change. The host hotel will also pay the full cost of the first night's lodging rate, plus tax. Any advance deposit will be refunded."

But interestingly, the wording for the BRG headline says:-
"we’ll give you your first night’s room price free".

And in the BRG t&c it says
"IHG will provide the first night’s room price free"

World of difference between "host hotel" and "we"/"IHG"

You think not using "host hotel" in the BRG guarantee was by accident ? You still sure the hotel is invalidating any t&c by not honoring the BRG ? Still sure it'll be legally seen by a cc company as a breach of contract by the hotel ?

But that is not the point in contention. The point, in a general sense, is that a credit card transaction is between a vendor and a buyer with a card services company in between. If the buyer deems that the goods/services have not been received correctly and can not come to a resolution with the vendor, then the buyer has the option to request the credit card company does a chargeback.

Of the various IHG hotel bookings that I've made, my credit card statement always states the vendor as being the specific hotel. Also I know for a fact that this isn't just a case of IHG inserting the name of the hotel, it is the hotel that does the charging. This is why when you do, for example, an IHG adv purchase booking, it is often quite a few days before the charge is made to your credit card, and in fact I have had an occurrence whereby I have done an adv purchase booking, and the hotel totally forgot to do the charge, and only did it on checkout, which happened some months after the booking was made. It is also why you can cancel adv purchase bookings if you do it within a day or so, before the hotel has received the booking info from ihg and has gotten around to processing the credit card transaction.

The vendor therefore in my experience is the hotel,and will be seen as the hotel by the cc company. In resolving a raised chargeback, the credit card company surely can only refer to the two parties involved in the transaction, the person being charged, and the vendor that raised the charge (the hotel).

The laws are in your favor as a consumer, and with documentation, this would be an easy scenario to get resolved
I fully agree that the LAW would favour the consumer, no doubt at all...the consumer was promised a free night by IHG, and the hotel did not provide it. But surely IHG and the hotel are two different legal entities. I would contest that the cc company might not be legally obligated to view it as breach in contract between the vendor and the customer ie a valid chargeback situation. Especially when then customer can not point to a single t&c on the IHG or hotel website or booking confirmation that says THE HOTEL will not charge for the first night.

I am not a lawyer, but that's how I see it . Basically IHG is saying if you book thru us, and hit the appropriate criteria, IHG guarantees that your first night will be free. Surely if that promise is broken, it is IHG's promise.

Last edited by tangey; May 4, 2013 at 6:49 pm
Old May 4, 2013, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by tangey
I have never asserted that a hotel does have to agree to a BRG.
The point, in a general sense, is that a credit card transaction is between a vendor and a buyer with a card services company in between. If the buyer deems that the goods/services have not been received correctly and can not come to a resolution with the vendor, then the buyer has the option to request the credit card company does a chargeback. [/quote]

This is where you AREN'T GETTING IT! You are wrong to state that the credit card transaction is between the vendor and the buyer, and that's it. The fact that the hotel itself charges the card IS IRRELEVANT. Who actually processes that card (whether it's IHG or the hotel itself) is not the issue within the consumer laws or the credit card companies. It is WHERE THE CREDIT CARD WAS PRESENTED, and under WHAT TERMS IT WAS HANDED OVER TO (I'm not shouting, just trying to highlight the points here :-) ). The terms clearly state, if a BRG is approved by IHG, then the night is free. If IHG deems the free night be given, and the hotel resists, they are directly violating the terms and conditions in which the credit card transaction was processed under.

In this instance, the credit card was handed to IHG directly under the terms specifically stated on their website. The vendor (i.e. the specific hotel) then accepts the credit card number and charges the consumer DIRECTLY under those terms. By pre-charging the card, they agreed to process the transaction under THOSE SPECIFIC RULES. Keep in mind, this is for pre-paid reservations only. Those that don't get charged until the time of arrival in person are not subject to these laws or protections as the final rules/rate are provided at the time of check-in.

the credit card company surely can only refer to the two parties involved in the transaction.
Absolutely not. The credit card company has to look at the terms at which the credit card was presented. And in these instances, the BRG is part of those terms. If IHG approves a BRG, then the individual hotel must accept it as such.
Old May 5, 2013, 2:17 am

Keep in mind, this is for pre-paid reservations only. Those that don't get charged until the time of arrival in person are not subject to these laws or protections as the final rules/rate are provided at the time of check-in.
Fully flex rates doesn't get charged until checkin/checkout. Are you saying that there no cc provision for chargeback on a BRG on a fully flex rate where the hotel incorrectly charges for the first night, and furthermore saying none of the t&c laid out on the IHG website applies to such bookings ???
Old May 5, 2013, 3:38 am

Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
Has anybody had any experiences of BRG rate posting as a qualifying rate and or ticking off any promos?

I do know they don't qualify just wondered if there had been any "errors" and had qualified.
Old May 5, 2013, 4:52 am

Programs: LH M&M SEN, bmi DC Gold, CO Gold Elite, bahn.comfort nothing
Only if you get reimbursed afterwards. This way it almost always posts as a Qualifying Stay.
Old May 5, 2013, 7:40 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond
I'm still looking for brg for IC Park Lane for next weekend. If anyone can help I can swap EUR or USD brg sites.

Pleas only PM me though if you are willing to share a site.

Thanks
Old May 5, 2013, 9:08 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Fully flex rates doesn't get charged until checkin/checkout. Are you saying that there no cc provision for chargeback on a BRG on a fully flex rate where the hotel incorrectly charges for the first night, and furthermore saying none of the t&c laid out on the IHG website applies to such bookings ???
I agree fully with the AP rates. For legal purposes the hotel is identified with IGH (website where you book) and/or act on their behalf.

The istinction he is making vs BFR rates is that if you sing anything at check in, that is a separate written contract which entitles the hotel to charge you.

I will go further than him, and would say you can do chargeback in such cases as well- if you are forced (blackmailed like in pay or leave) to sign something by a party identified with the the seller you made a contract with (IGH website).
Old May 5, 2013, 10:42 am

No - I think you are missing the major point I made when I made the distinction between a AP rate and a Flex. When you check in, all terms/conditions and room rates are provided to you before you hand over your credit card and agree to payment. IF, and ONLY IF, the paper that you sign upon check-in states that the first night is free, then you can charge that back if they incorrectly charge you still (as in the case of one of the posters above). However, if it does not, and you willingly hand over your credit card and sign the rate confirmation that states you are being charged the first night, then you sign away your rights to a charge-back.
Old May 5, 2013, 10:45 am
Suspended

No - I think you are missing the major point I made when I made the distinction between a AP rate and a Flex. When you check in, all terms/conditions and room rates are provided to you before you hand over your credit card and agree to payment. IF, and ONLY IF, the paper that you sign upon check-in states that the first night is free, then you can charge that back if they incorrectly charge you still (as in the case of one of the posters above). However, if it does not, and you willingly hand over your credit card and sign the rate confirmation that states you are being charged the first night, then you sign away your rights to a charge-back.
The problem is that thats also the case on a AP rate when you check in, as you are presented a sign-in form to sign and give them your CC. If you no-show it may be different.
Old May 5, 2013, 11:11 am

Did Anybody had a sucessful BRG with logitravel.com ?
Old May 5, 2013, 12:10 pm

Programs: Iberia, BAEC GOLD/ Priority Club : ROYAL Amb / Miles and More: SEN
Hello,

I have a question about a BRG and a general question.

I got a BRG-night in IC Abu Dhabi. I stayed there this was a NON- qualifying stay. --) Correct !

But I had some expenses in the restaurant there that night. Should I not get points for spent in the restaurant that night?

General question : Does restaurant or other hotel expenses not give additional points where the IC-stay is capped at 2.000 per night?

Thanks
Old May 5, 2013, 12:23 pm
ffj

Programs: AA, ExPlat, DL Sil, UAL Sil, Hilt Dia, Marr Plat
Pay in between two BRGs

An example: On June 1 and June 3, you have a BRG approved at Hotel A. Can you then purchase a night at Hotel A for June 2 without violating the T&Cs? If no, can you purchase a night at Hotel B for June 2, where Hotel B is within 50 miles of Hotel A?
Old May 5, 2013, 1:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ffj
An example: On June 1 and June 3, you have a BRG approved at Hotel A. Can you then purchase a night at Hotel A for June 2 without violating the T&Cs? If no, can you purchase a night at Hotel B for June 2, where Hotel B is within 50 miles of Hotel A?
Borderline. Try to book hotel B without PC # and add that on check out- as long as both BRG are fine, and not being reimbursed.

That is if you really need the points. Add at check in if you need status perks.
Old May 5, 2013, 8:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ TPPS, EK Gold, IHG RA, Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, UA Premier Gold, TG Silver
Originally Posted by mgo72
Hello,

I have a question about a BRG and a general question.

I got a BRG-night in IC Abu Dhabi. I stayed there this was a NON- qualifying stay. --) Correct !

But I had some expenses in the restaurant there that night. Should I not get points for spent in the restaurant that night?

General question : Does restaurant or other hotel expenses not give additional points where the IC-stay is capped at 2.000 per night?

Thanks
Nope. See the relevant thread.
Old May 5, 2013, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by ffj
An example: On June 1 and June 3, you have a BRG approved at Hotel A. Can you then purchase a night at Hotel A for June 2 without violating the T&Cs?
Your 3 nights will be seen as 1 "stay" by the hotel/IHG. You are only entitled to 1 free night per stay. Hotel would likely complain that 2nd BRG night should be invalid.

If no, can you purchase a night at Hotel B for June 2, where Hotel B is within 50 miles of Hotel A?
Would more likely work, Assuming you have already got the two BRGs before you book the middle night in hotel B. Unless someone is particularly looking at your account, it is highly unlikely that on booking the middle night anyone will then look to see what other bookings you have. As has been stated by travel kid, doing the middle booking without a PC account means they definitely can't track your stay pattern. Just don't mention on checkout you are in hotel B down the road for the next night!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.