New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

    Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 17, 17, 12:51 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Wiki Link
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 27, 12, 9:53 am
  #2746  
Used to be highman123
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,676
Folks, I'm stunned - I'm trying to deduct this for a BRG in Israel:


Please be advised that the rates in abc.com and
abc1.com are offering the same rates as what you booked
in IHG.

The 17% tax in IHG that was added to your reservation which is USD 49.98
was charged in advance by the hotel. But if you will be able to present
a tourist visa upon check-in, the USD 49.98 will be refunded to you, so
you will just be charged a total amount of USD 294.00.

Please see computation below:

USD 294.00 x 17% tax
USD 294.00 x 0.17 = USD 49.98 (additional tax that will be refunded once
the guest is able to present a tourist visa)
USD 294.00 + USD 49.98 = USD 343.98

Again, the USD 49.98 was only charged in advance by the hotel but will
be refunded once able to present a tourist visa upon check-in.

Therefore, the rates in the said websites abc.com and
abc1.com are offering the same rates as IHG. The
total amount of USD 294.26 in abc1.com with tax does
not include yet of 17% additional tax that will be charged by the by the
hotel same as the rate in abc.com, the total amount of USD 294.00
does not include yet of 17% additional tax charged by the hotel.


Please be assured that as long as the conditions of the guarantee are
met, we keep our promise of honoring the free night to our guests.
However, we do apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced
as a result of this concern.


The rate on the comparison sites is $255.65 and IHG showed 294.00 at time of booking. I'm somehow lost at understanding this...
MightyTravels is offline  
Old Dec 27, 12, 4:00 pm
  #2747  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 485
The calculations they've done are wrong but they are correct in their assessment. As a foreigner, apparently, you do not pay VAT.

The room before VAT (17%) is 251,00 per night. They argue that the third party rate will not qualify for a reimbursement.

Not sure if this is correct, but if it is, then they are correct in denying your claim.
MarioRossi is offline  
Old Dec 28, 12, 1:12 am
  #2748  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1P, AS MVP, WN CP; MR Ti, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, RR Au
Posts: 4,885
I had an interesting claim this week... The terms on both the IHG site and the third party site kept changing over the course of two days... it was something like:

IHG Best Flex: Cancel by 4pm day before arrival -> no cancel allowed -> Cancel by 4pm day before
Third Party: Cancel by 6pm day before -> no cancel allowed -> Cancel by midnight night before arrival

Couldn't really find a pattern to it. So I kept checking then booked and claimed when the terms lined up in my favor and had no problem getting it approved.
MDtR-Chicago is offline  
Old Dec 28, 12, 7:20 am
  #2749  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: PHL
Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Posts: 4,904
You all rock!!! Here's our story...

My gf and I had booked two nights at the Victoria Hoi An resort, outside of Da Nang, Vietnam -- but the rooms had a nasty mold smell. The hotel manager was very nice about it, allowing us to cancel our res with no penalty while we hung out in his hotel lobby trying to find another hotel.

We had stayed in the IC Asiana Saigon the previous two nights and loved it. While booking that stay, my gf had noticed the BRG on the IHG website the other day. So on a whim, while still in the Da Nang hotel lobby, she checked the agoda pricing for this absolutely over-the-top "six star" IC in Da Nang.

Lo and behold, the price was less on agoda ($375/night) than on the ICH website ($405/night). So I came to this FT thread to see if we would really qualify because I figured that it all seemed too good to be true: to get a $405/night palatial room for less than half-price.

We booked the room on the IHC site and called the BRC rep and told her to check out agoda. The agent put us on hold for about 15 minutes (my gf was worried about the wait time; I told her the long wait was a good sign because it was clear that ICH was doing their best to get out of this jam but was coming up empty!).

And it worked!!! We got two nights for the price of one-night on agoda! And this is by far the most beautiful hotel we've ever seen.

Isn't this a worst-case scenario for ICH? We only booked two nights at a high-end ICH hotel, and one night is free. And who takes the hit in this case? Does the hotel lose the one night of revenue? Or does ICH reimburse the hotel?

So thanks everyone for the info. It helped greatly to be armed with info when we called the BRC agent.

Last edited by tommyleo; Dec 28, 12 at 7:33 am
tommyleo is offline  
Old Dec 28, 12, 9:12 am
  #2750  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: York, PA
Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Posts: 1,704
Originally Posted by tommyleo View Post
You all rock!!! Here's our story...

My gf and I had booked two nights at the Victoria Hoi An resort, outside of Da Nang, Vietnam -- but the rooms had a nasty mold smell. The hotel manager was very nice about it, allowing us to cancel our res with no penalty while we hung out in his hotel lobby trying to find another hotel.

We had stayed in the IC Asiana Saigon the previous two nights and loved it. While booking that stay, my gf had noticed the BRG on the IHG website the other day. So on a whim, while still in the Da Nang hotel lobby, she checked the agoda pricing for this absolutely over-the-top "six star" IC in Da Nang.

Lo and behold, the price was less on agoda ($375/night) than on the ICH website ($405/night). So I came to this FT thread to see if we would really qualify because I figured that it all seemed too good to be true: to get a $405/night palatial room for less than half-price.

We booked the room on the IHC site and called the BRC rep and told her to check out agoda. The agent put us on hold for about 15 minutes (my gf was worried about the wait time; I told her the long wait was a good sign because it was clear that ICH was doing their best to get out of this jam but was coming up empty!).

And it worked!!! We got two nights for the price of one-night on agoda! And this is by far the most beautiful hotel we've ever seen.

Isn't this a worst-case scenario for ICH? We only booked two nights at a high-end ICH hotel, and one night is free. And who takes the hit in this case? Does the hotel lose the one night of revenue? Or does ICH reimburse the hotel?

So thanks everyone for the info. It helped greatly to be armed with info when we called the BRC agent.
VERY nice!
etsmyers is offline  
Old Dec 28, 12, 9:43 am
  #2751  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 940
They are playing all kind of tricks to block BRG in their properties in Istanbul. Now, they are telling me that the website I used to make the comparison require membership??? And that violate the rules!!!

Oh, come on, that website only require you to enter your name, email address and phone number before you could proceed to the payment page...And they are saying that this is considered as a 'membership'???

Btw, I'm turning away to another website, which is getaroom...According to one of the FTer's post, they will charge you in USD if you book from US...So, what if I'm currently in Europe, and booking a hotel in Europe, will that be billed in Euro?
Dolphinyong is offline  
Old Dec 28, 12, 10:43 am
  #2752  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1P, AS MVP, WN CP; MR Ti, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, RR Au
Posts: 4,885
Originally Posted by tommyleo View Post
Isn't this a worst-case scenario for ICH? We only booked two nights at a high-end ICH hotel, and one night is free. And who takes the hit in this case? Does the hotel lose the one night of revenue? Or does ICH reimburse the hotel?
The worst case for IHG corporate is that someone sues them again for deceptive practices. For the hotel itself, the worst case is you only booked for one night, then they wouldn't make anything off of you.

The entire hit is taken by the hotel itself. Hope you had a meal or something while you were there...
MDtR-Chicago is offline  
Old Dec 28, 12, 12:07 pm
  #2753  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 940
Originally Posted by Dolphinyong View Post
So, what if I'm currently in Europe, and booking a hotel in Europe, will that be billed in Euro?
Claim was rejected with the reason saying that it will be billed in USD on getaroom...
Dolphinyong is offline  
Old Dec 28, 12, 3:40 pm
  #2754  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Diego
Programs: IC RA
Posts: 216
Claim rejected.....

Booked Advance Saver Rate for 5 nights at €191 a night

Found on Skoosh.com; rate for 5 nights for same room €166 a night

Denied because Skoosh rate included breakfast and IHG.com rate did not.

No one to blame but myself, I guess. Frustrating part was that I didn't even care about the breakfast.
Investor 11 is offline  
Old Dec 28, 12, 5:51 pm
  #2755  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: PHL
Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Posts: 4,904
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago View Post
The entire hit is taken by the hotel itself. Hope you had a meal or something while you were there...
That seems unfair -- unless it's the hotel that sets the prices on agoda or did not notice that agoda was undercutting the IHC site.

As for spending money here: this is the most opulent hotel I've ever seen. Speaking to one of the managers here last night when we arrived, we found out that every part of the buildings is custom-made (and it looks it). We have no plans to leave this place until we leave tomorrow, so meals, massages, etc. will be purchased, for sure.
tommyleo is offline  
Old Dec 28, 12, 5:58 pm
  #2756  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1P, AS MVP, WN CP; MR Ti, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, RR Au
Posts: 4,885
Originally Posted by tommyleo View Post
That seems unfair -- unless it's the hotel that sets the prices on agoda or did not notice that agoda was undercutting the IHC site.
It is also entirely the hotel's responsibility what is on Agoda. If you look back in the thread, we periodically debate how "fair" the guarantee is, given how difficult it can be competing in the lodging industry.

We have no plans to leave this place until we leave tomorrow, so meals, massages, etc. will be purchased, for sure.
Well done! It is also periodically debated if there is a certain "fairness" in spending at the hotel in consideration of the free room. (My personal position on the issue is obvious.)
MDtR-Chicago is offline  
Old Dec 29, 12, 12:43 pm
  #2757  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 940
Found a website that billed in THB, it's think2travel.com, but the claim got rejected due to it's general terms : Confirmation will be issued in 24 hours (instead of immediate confirmation)

Besides, finally got my Istanbul BRG done, apparently they rejected my claims for higher room type but they are more tolerant with lower room type...well, it's fine for me=)
Dolphinyong is offline  
Old Dec 30, 12, 6:04 am
  #2758  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Posts: 1,820
Got a BRG approved but got the 'technical difficulty' email and that I have to pay first.

Has the BRG team ever gone back on their word and not paid out after the stay if they confirmed it has been approved?


Lastly, the email says 4 - 6 weeks, but I understand it's usually faster. For bank transfer vs checks mailed, which is quicker?


Thanks!
lsed is offline  
Old Dec 30, 12, 10:41 am
  #2759  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CPH
Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Posts: 7,647
Originally Posted by lsed View Post
Got a BRG approved but got the 'technical difficulty' email and that I have to pay first.

Has the BRG team ever gone back on their word and not paid out after the stay if they confirmed it has been approved?


Lastly, the email says 4 - 6 weeks, but I understand it's usually faster. For bank transfer vs checks mailed, which is quicker?


Thanks!
It's not a problem as long as they don't mess up with the payment. If you have a US bank account it will be the best.

My BRG stays in October are still not in my bank account yet.
nacho is online now  
Old Dec 30, 12, 11:34 am
  #2760  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 940
Any IC Ambassador experience on BRG stay?

Just wonder whether IC Ambassador benefits would be entitled during a BRG stay (1night / more than 1night)?
Dolphinyong is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: