Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2012, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by Rusell
I have 2 rooms on 2 different days but in 2 different cities as they are 50 miles apart, they are both approved for the BRG.
2 rooms at the same hotel on the same date?
Old Dec 17, 2012, 9:50 am

Programs: QF, LM, AA,VA Silver, Qatar, Accor Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott B Plat
Originally Posted by nacho
2 rooms at the same hotel on the same date?
1 room each at each hotel but just outside the 50 mile radius
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:08 am

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by slowly
Not if the city is really big.
Just out of curiosity, is there any city that has two hotels 50 miles apart?
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: PC Plat, HH Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Antipode
Just out of curiosity, is there any city that has two hotels 50 miles apart?
Mumbai
Delhi
NY
Sao Paulo
Moscow
Beijing
Mexico

I think they are wide enough
Old Dec 17, 2012, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by kaell
Mumbai
Delhi
NY
Sao Paulo
Moscow
Beijing
Mexico

I think they are wide enough
I can't speak for any of the rest, but NY is nowhere close. The farthest I can get within New York (regardless of whether there are hotels there or not) is 33 miles from the northeast corner of the Bronx to the very tip of Staten Island (it is ~45 miles driving, but that's because google maps gives the path that detours through New Jersey on I-95).

A perfectly round city that has two points 50 miles apart would need to have a total area of 1964 square miles. In comparison, New York City is 469 square miles, of which 166 square miles are water, but we'll be generous and ignore that for now. For a city with the area of New York City to have two points that are 50 miles apart, it would need to be roughly 5 times long as it is wide on average (approximately 50 miles by 10 miles).

And of course this is all assuming that there are two hotels at the places in that city that are the farthest apart.

Last edited by Antipode; Dec 17, 2012 at 6:34 pm
Old Dec 17, 2012, 7:22 pm

All of the other cities listed have roughly the same area as NYC, with the exception of Moscow and Beijing. Moscow, which has roughly 2x the area as NYC would be extremely unlikely, since being 2x the area means that it is maybe 50 miles wide at some point. Just for kicks, I checked and the farthest hotels are 27.6 km apart, driving.

Beijing was promising since the municipality has a total area of over 6,000 square miles, but I'm guessing most of that is sparsely populated. All of the hotels are near the airport or the city center, so the farthest hotels are only about 33 km apart.

So I pose this as a challenge: Can anyone find two IHG hotels in the same city that are > 50 miles apart? Part two of the challenge would be to BRG both of them
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Antipode
All of the other cities listed have roughly the same area as NYC, with the exception of Moscow and Beijing. Moscow, which has roughly 2x the area as NYC would be extremely unlikely, since being 2x the area means that it is maybe 50 miles wide at some point. Just for kicks, I checked and the farthest hotels are 27.6 km apart, driving.

Beijing was promising since the municipality has a total area of over 6,000 square miles, but I'm guessing most of that is sparsely populated. All of the hotels are near the airport or the city center, so the farthest hotels are only about 33 km apart.

So I pose this as a challenge: Can anyone find two IHG hotels in the same city that are > 50 miles apart? Part two of the challenge would be to BRG both of them
I'm guessing someone at IHG has already done the math and found two hotels in the same city 49.5 miles apart hence the 50 mile rule
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I'm guessing someone at IHG has already done the math and found two hotels in the same city 49.5 miles apart hence the 50 mile rule
I doubt it. They probably decided that 50 miles is "far enough" and would also prevent people from jumping between hotels that are close by but in neighboring cities as opposed to instituting a "no back to back BRGs at hotels in the same city" rule (in many metropolitan areas, this would be very easy to circumvent).

I actually doubt that any city has hotels > 50 miles apart. I'd be very surprised if any city had hotels that are even ~40 miles apart. 30 is pushing it, but probably possible.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:22 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, CO OnePass, UA
Wha??

Originally Posted by kasienka
guys,
do they charge you for no show on 1 house comp night?
Originally Posted by Happy
I believe yes. In the email confirmation it says the normal cancellation policy applied.
Hey Guys,

How can they charge you for a no-show if your one and only night at the hotel was already comped?

Thanks for clearing that up...
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, CO OnePass, UA
Has IHG become a little more relaxed than a few months ago about approving BRGs?
Old Dec 19, 2012, 1:59 am

Programs: KLM Gold, DL Silver
Has just been denied on the basis that under IHG flexible rate the credit card is not charged, and on another website the card is charged at the time of the booking.

So, they can basically deny any claim now since all the websites charge your card first, and only them being the chain operator can allow not to charge the card for a flexible rate.

That's quite deceiving and false advertisement, don't you think?
Old Dec 19, 2012, 5:03 am

I'm pretty sure Shanghai has two Crowne Plaza more than 50 miles apart. Quiet a few Crowne Plazas in Shanghai out in the middle of no where.

E.g. Crowne Plaza Shanghai Harbour City, Crowne Plaza Shanghai Xiayang Lake.

According to IHG Harbour City is already 52 miles away from Hongqiao airport. So there should be a few options in Shanghai.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Shimon
I'm pretty sure Shanghai has two Crowne Plaza more than 50 miles apart. Quiet a few Crowne Plazas in Shanghai out in the middle of no where.

According to IHG Harbour City is already 52 miles away from Hongqiao airport. So there should be a few options in Shanghai.
issue is finding a website willing to bill in CNY - of which there are a couple (ctrip and elong). I've done some close monitoring for the intercontinentals and both those chinese site match the IHG site exactly in terms of pricing.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by Shimon

That just barely does it at ~50.7 miles according to google maps. And for the record, driving distance from Harbour City to Hongqiao might be 52 miles, but the actual distance is much less than that (close to 40miles). I'm not sure which one IHG would use, but I'm guessing actual distance.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:55 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by iggyray
So, they can basically deny any claim now since all the websites charge your card first, and only them being the chain operator can allow not to charge the card for a flexible rate.
Not all websites charge your card first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.